U of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoundandtheFury

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ended up ranking the University of Michigan #1. I liked the "feel" there. I just wondered what other people thought of that program and its general competitiveness.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

SoundandtheFury said:
I ended up ranking the University of Michigan #1. I liked the "feel" there. I just wondered what other people thought of that program and its general competitiveness.

Man, take a break! It's over. Deep breath...IN...OUT....you'll be OK. You ranked the program that you felt fit best. Think about it, you don't really care what anyone else thinks do you?

Trust yourself and relax. As much as any of us can with our fates in the hands of a computer, that is. :)

Take care,
Jeff

too late to worry about it...

Members don't see this ad :)
SoundandtheFury said:

Thanks!!

the em pd at my school described it as a 'powerhouse program.' relax, you made a great choice. :thumbup: :)

Thanks for the advice and opinions. My PD didn't know much about U of M, so it good to know that someone feels it's not a bad choice.

I also liked UM--although my interview w/ the program director was my first one, and he seemed very intense to me. I ranked it #2.

Michigan is sooo Cold though...I think I'd have permanent Raynaulds.

Miss Narcan said:
I also liked UM--although my interview w/ the program director was my first one, and he seemed very intense to me. I ranked it #2.

Michigan is sooo Cold though...I think I'd have permanent Raynaulds.

Yeah, I thought he was intense, too, but sometimes that can be a real strength -- I had the impression he would go out of his way to fight for the residents, and was extremely committed (not to suggest that other PDs aren't). Plus, Barsan is more involved than a lot of chairmans and he really impressed me.

Ann Arbor kicks ass, too, cold or not.

Good luck. If you match at UMich, I don't think you have to worry about any post-match anxiety, I think you can consider it a full-throated victory.

Dragging this one out of the depths for other peoples opinion of the program and reputation.

I really liked what I saw when on my interview day, but really haven't heard too much about them since (on the boards etc). My advisor here said that they are a strong program, but he wasn't too knowledgeable about them.

Any thoughts on Mich? any of your advisors have anything (+ or -) about them?

Don't really care about the 4 years, but I would be looking for a job back out west when graduating.

There's a great dessert place downtown... uh, La Dolce Vita, I think? It's been almost a year since I've been there last... desserts aren't absolutely fantastic, but fancy atmosphere and it's cool to eat dessert on leather couches and armchairs.

There's also a simple, but very good Latino restaurant at the north end of downtown. I would drive 45 minutes just to have one of their tortas--just to have a taste of CA...

SoundandtheFury said:

Thanks!!

Dude....I'm with you...I would rank them #1 too if I could handle the cold weather and if I would not miss my family sooo much, I would totally go there....I guess its true, ppl from Cali hardly ever want to leave. Its sooo unfortunate because I really love U of M, Cook county

I had an awesome time at U of M....very impressive...go for it...Rank them number one...you cant go wrong!!! Its an amazing program...

i went in last year not thinking that i would actually like the program, and walked away from the interview ranking it second. i liked the fact that dr barsan seemed to be really involved in resident education and also resident job placement. i imagine if you get a recommendation from him, that could carry you into any job market.

I did undergrad at Michigan, and can say that while the entire campus, including the vast medsci area is pretty dog-eat-dog when it comes to research, the EM residency is a little laid-back in comparision. Ann Arbor is a great town, with plenty to do. I think you'll like it there unless you have serious problems with cold weather.

Any other thoughts on UM? SheerStress, where in your opinion is a good place to live near UM? Do Grads live near teh school, or outside of town? When I was there the residents actually said that living near UM is very expensive, where else is there to go.

Sorry about the random question, when I interviewed there it snowed 14" and it was impossible to see any of the city due to blizzard conditions. Thanks!