Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

U of MN Duluth

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by oldman, Jul 25, 2002.

1. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    I have never seen anyone post anything about this school. Are there any applicants for this school on this web site???

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. poindexter

poindexter Senior Member

I applied and was accepted last year. There really aren't too many prolific posters from MN on this site (except for you). :p

4. ga07

ga07 Junior Member

i actually just got duluth's secondary today. i'm from a small mn town, so it seems like a good fit. we'll see. i also got a packet from washington
    u today; a bit of a range, huh? i'm one of the nonprolific mn posters. sorry, too lazy.

5. enlightenedhick

Medical Student
  6. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"

Academic Administration
    I am also a Minnesotian. I know a guy who was waitlisted at UMD. However, I'm not sure if he was accepted or not. If you state that you're interested in rural care, it's a MAJOR plus.

Good Luck

7. FurmanJon

Pre-Medical
    I lived in duluth for 6 months during the winter. If you go, try not to slide into Lake Superior.:smuggrin:

8. gleneagles3

Medical Student
    I am applying here, I am from South dakota and want to be a family practitioner in a rural setting (exactly what they are looking for).......so hopefully they at least give me a chance.

9. Dzeteo

Dzeteo ...

Attending Physician
    I interviewed last year, was 'acceptable' according to them. I was on the bottom half of their 'acceptable' list. Funny thing: I called them to ask about maybe reapplying next (this) year. The secretary told me I was only 'acceptable' and not ACCEPTED because the committee wasn't sure I 'knew enough about family medicine' and 'had a low likelihood of practicing medicine in MN'. Funny because I don't want to practice anywhere else EXCEPT MN. Glean what info you can from this. Maybe you fit their profile.

10. Dayfed

Pre-Medical
    I'm taking some summer classes at UMD, because it's my hometown. UMD is nice because you can get to everything because it is indoors. I really wouldn't apply if you weren't thinking about rural medicine in some form. But if this is what you want to go into, they are one of the best rural med. schools. It's a very small class, everyone knows each other.

As far as Duluth is concerned, it's a great town to live in. Bigger city, but with small town feel. Everyone knows everyone in this town, which can be good or bad. The weather right now is wonderful, but if you don't like cold or snow, don't come here, because there is a lot of both. It's also a pretty cheap town. Rent is really good, food isn't too expensive, and there are some more upscale places.

If you want to know anything else about the city of Duluth, or about UMD in general, just pm me.

11. cjedin

Pre-Medical
    I'm applying this year. My secondary is in (lots of essays - something like 15 of them, 800 characters each) and I am now waiting on interview information. Home for me is a small town in northern MN; I would like to go into rural medicine. That said, Duluth is where I would like to go!