U of MN Twin Cities vs Duluth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yobo9345

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on my knowledge, I think you should look at fit for both campuses: Duluth is a huge center for american indian and minority health patients, and I believe that more of its students match into primary care. I think you will find Minneapolis has more of a widespread range of its medical students matching into various specialties including primary care and surgical specialties.

So, if you are more interested in rural medicine or primary care, Duluth may be a better school for you. If you are undecided and want an urban feel to your medical education and basic-science research, I would go with the Twin Cities.

I wouldn't look at reputation too closely - I believe the Twin Cities campus experiences a better reputation in the medical community, but I don't think that should factor into your decision as much. Also be sure to talk to students from both campuses - all of this information is from what I have heard by talking to friends, living in Minnesota for a year or so. Best of luck!

OP may have decided already, but in case you haven't, I agree with most of the above. Duluth and TC campus is combined in years 3&4, so the students are indistinguishable. You graduate from the UMN medical school, you don't graduate from Duluth or TC. The reputation is the same.

Many students (~60%) do primary care out of Duluth, however, there are still people who do Derm, Ortho, Radiology, Anesthesia, etc, so it really doesn't limit you, just the students they select are often primary care from the get-go, which makes sense, because it fits their mission.
I'm glad I chose Duluth, because it's a smaller campus and I had been living in the Cities for a while - so it was nice to get out for a few years. Duluth is a really cool city for people who like the outdoors - so many things to do! You can PM me if you have further questions.