U of SC Palmetto

Started by jadealer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jadealer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I heard rumors that U of SC ophthalmology program had issues last year and ended up not accepting any residents.. I was wondering if any of you knew what the situation was.

Thanks
 
Hey I heard rumors that U of SC ophthalmology program had issues last year and ended up not accepting any residents.. I was wondering if any of you knew what the situation was.

Thanks

The program at USC underwent an administration change in hospital ownership last year, and the residency program got caught in the middle of some administration issues and a class was not filled. They interviewed to fill a class for 2015 back in September of this year and are also interviewing for 2016 spots as well. They are back on track.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd be a bit antsy about this one. Check out the current faculty and let me know what's missing. I'll give you a hint, retina and peds fellowship trained attendings. As I'm not an ophthalmologist, I'm not sure how big of a deal this is - but it seems like this might be something to worry about.

http://residency.palmettohealth.org/body-residency-fellowship.cfm?id=157
 
Not having any retina or glaucoma staff is a big red flag. There's no indication on their website of how they get experience in this too. Likely it means residents are sent out to other places to get experience in these fields but it may also mean patients being referred out, especially if there's an emergency.
 
This program has been in a state of flux for at least 5-6 years from what I can remember. The fact that it still doesn't have faculty in the all the main subspecialties is probably not a good sign.
 
Is the department in the process of closing? Looking at the medical school and hospital websites, they:

1. Do not have an ophthalmology chairman or chair.
2. Do not have an Interim Chair (another department has an interim chair).
3. Does not have a department website (link is broken, all other clinical departments of the medical school have websites, like Peds and Psychiatry)
4. Faculty listing list no glaucoma or retina. It looks like a 5 ophthalmologist private practice that has an office a few miles away from the hospital and medical school and also a satellite office next to the hospital. They have 1 neuro, 1 oculoplastics, 1 peds, 1 cornea, 1 general.

In contrast, the same city has some big private practices, like one that has 14+1 ophthalmologists (2 retina, 2 glaucoma, neuro, plastics, 6 general, 1 part time peds that has a separate website but same address).