U of Utah students: What do you like about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SV10

Reaction score
For anyone at the University of Utah, what can you tell me about the school? What are your favorite or least favorite things about it? What's it like living in the Salt Lake City area? Is there anything specific to U of U that you think puts it ahead of other dental schools? How are your relationships with other students or faculty?

Members don't see this ad.

Got accepted in 2019. Didn’t attend because they would charged me non-res tuition and the school wasn’t accredited yet. Too young.
But I like the faculty there. No doubt its gonna be a great program in the future. Small class size (50) is a plus also.

Many friends out there, seems more cut throat than it needs to be, some ppl thrive in that atmosphere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted in 2019. Didn’t attend because they would charged me non-res tuition and the school wasn’t accredited yet. Too young.
But I like the faculty there. No doubt its gonna be a great program in the future. Small class size (50) is a plus also

It was accredited in 2019. The website states that it’s last accreditation site walkthrough was 2017 so it’s been accredited since at least then, but pretty sure it was accredited when it was founded in 2013.

I’m a current D3 and it’s a great school. A lot of students place into specialties, you’ll get great clinical experience as well. My first time in the oral surgery clinic I extracted 8 teeth, where some school only do 10 their entire 4 years. Also the dental school is the sole provider for blind and disabled Medicaid, as well as the targeted adult Medicaid that patients in rehab get. So we see a lot of complex cases due to drug abuse and these patients need a lot of work so you can potentially get multiple extractions, crowns, fillings etc out of a single patient.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a current D3 and it’s a great school. A lot of students place into specialties, you’ll get great clinical experience as well. My first time in the oral surgery clinic I extracted 8 teeth, where some school only do 10 their entire 4 years. Also the dental school is the sole provider for blind and disabled Medicaid, as well as the targeted adult Medicaid that patients in rehab get. So we see a lot of complex cases due to drug abuse and these patients need a lot of work so you can potentially get multiple extractions, crowns, fillings etc out of a single patient.
I really hope that there is no one graduating having extracted only 10 teeth...lol

For anyone at the University of Utah, what can you tell me about the school? What are your favorite or least favorite things about it? What's it like living in the Salt Lake City area? Is there anything specific to U of U that you think puts it ahead of other dental schools? How are your relationships with other students or faculty?
Salt lake is sweet. However, Utah is fairly cutthroat, only cares about how they look on paper, and only has low, to average clinical opportunities.

Reactions: 3 users
Salt lake is sweet. However, Utah is fairly cutthroat, only cares about how they look on paper, and only has low, to average clinical opportunities.
Wait a second, I remember you. You seem bitter about not getting into Utah so you’ve posted talking about how bad the school is.

While the school is not perfect, the clinical experience is not lacking. I’m finishing my first semester of full time clinic, and on average our class has done ~15 extraction, 2 crowns, 30-40 fillings, 15 quads of SRP, and 2-3 full/removable denture cases. I’d hardly say that’s lacking for the start of D3 year.

Also Utah is not cutthroat, we don’t even have rankings so there would be no point to be cutthroat.

OP make sure you get info from current/past students, and not bitter kids who didn’t get accepted and are holding grudges.

Wait a second, I remember you. You seem bitter about not getting into Utah so you’ve posted talking about how bad the school is.

While the school is not perfect, the clinical experience is not lacking. I’m finishing my first semester of full time clinic, and on average our class has done ~15 extraction, 2 crowns, 30-40 fillings, 15 quads of SRP, and 2-3 full/removable denture cases. I’d hardly say that’s lacking for the start of D3 year.

Also Utah is not cutthroat, we don’t even have rankings so there would be no point to be cutthroat.

OP make sure you get info from current/past students, and not bitter kids who didn’t get accepted and are holding grudges.
Some pretty bold assumptions not knowing me, or having any idea the experience/background/reasoning for my opinion. But, thanks for further proving my point about the type of people they accept there.

Last edited:
Some pretty bold assumptions not knowing me, or having any idea the experience/background/reasoning for my opinion. But, thanks for further proving my point about the type of people they accept there.
Just trying to dispel misinformation that’s being spread by people that don’t attend. Ands that’s why I said “you seem,” because based of off your previous posts, you tend to have a negative and bitter tone when talking about the U.

Also, you just made assumptions about me and the other students at the U and the type of people we are, so if that’s not the pot calling the kettle black…

Reactions: 1 user
It seems you are getting a really solid experience. Thank you for sharing.

Many friends out there, seems more cut throat than it needs to be, some ppl thrive in that atmosphere.

I'm also a current D3 at the UofU, and honestly I've never experienced any kind of "cut throat" atmosphere. Class size of 50 students, and I honestly feel like if I reached out to anyone in my class for any kind of help they'd promptly offer their help. We're super close and we all uplift each other.

As for clinical experience it's been amazing. In the last few months I've done at least 30+ direct restorations, 16 quads SRP, 25+ ext (including surgical ext and alveoloplasties), 5 crowns plus a 6 unit anterior bridge just last week, and that's just my own patients. I've had the chance to cover for many of my classmates doing all sorts of procedures.

If I made the choice again I'd come here in a heartbeat. The problems that do exist are discussed promptly by students and admin and are actively resolved. The communication between student and professors is more similar to colleagues than teacher and student and that fosters an atmosphere where discussion and questions are encouraged.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I really do love it here. If anyone wants any more info, hmu.

Reactions: 1 users