U. of Washington PharmD/PA Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you current students and practicing pharmacists graduates of UW's PharmD/PA dual-degree program? Or does anyone know anyone who went through the program?

I'm applying to UW and very interested in this program and would love to hear about people's thoughts and experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't really understand why anyone would need to be PA/PHARMd lol... I don't believe one is able to dispense meds that u self prescribe... if someone can enlighten us as to the necessity of the join program

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I am a PharmD and my wife is a PA. IMHO, I don't see where the combination would be particularly useful. Here's my reasoning:

1. You can't really do both simultaneously. You can't see a patient in clinic, write a script, then go fill it in a retail setting. I don't think there's a hospital around that's going to hire you to be both a provider and a pharmacist. There's a check-and-balance thing that they would be losing.

2. If you're wanting to double your job prospects, that's not going to happen. The PA market is much better than the pharmacy market virtually everywhere.

3. If you're wanting to be a pharmacist who has a strong clinical background, residencies are the route where you will get hired to do those jobs.

4. If you want to be a provider with strong drug knowledge, you can buy a reference book or two to consult. Or have a pharmacist friend you can call. My wife occasionally calls me to weight base dose something for her, but phone apps will do the same thing for you.

Of course if it's something that you really want to do for yourself don't let me or anyone else discourage you.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've read about people who question the utility of this joint degree, which I understand.

I'm mostly interested in the program for one of three reasons:

1. I think it would be interesting to work part-time in both professions. Many pharmacist positions these days are part-time and many PA positions are only three or so days a week. A program like this may be able to create a more varied work life to cut the monotony of both professions.

2. I desire to become a pharmacist more than a PA. With the uncertainty and negativity of the pharmacy field (just peruse comments from a view choice people in the pre-pharm section), the PA degree will provide me with a safety net to fall back on if the sky really does fall for pharmacists.

3. Being primarily a PA. I can see the additional degree and drug knowledge as being a plus for being marketable. However, the draw of this program is that they waive the paid experience requirement. As someone who hasn't worked a paid healthcare job for 3+ years, this path is the only path that would allow me to become a PA without that large amount of experience.

Anyone please correct me if they think I'm being naive or something.

I can't really understand why anyone would need to be PA/PHARMd lol... I don't believe one is able to dispense meds that u self prescribe... if someone can enlighten us as to the necessity of the join program

There are people out there who are unable to get EITHER of those degrees, and you want to get BOTH!?

Reactions: 1 users
I've read about people who question the utility of this joint degree, which I understand.

I'm mostly interested in the program for one of three reasons:

1. I think it would be interesting to work part-time in both professions. Many pharmacist positions these days are part-time and many PA positions are only three or so days a week. A program like this may be able to create a more varied work life to cut the monotony of both professions.

2. I desire to become a pharmacist more than a PA. With the uncertainty and negativity of the pharmacy field (just peruse comments from a view choice people in the pre-pharm section), the PA degree will provide me with a safety net to fall back on if the sky really does fall for pharmacists.

3. Being primarily a PA. I can see the additional degree and drug knowledge as being a plus for being marketable. However, the draw of this program is that they waive the paid experience requirement. As someone who hasn't worked a paid healthcare job for 3+ years, this path is the only path that would allow me to become a PA without that large amount of experience.

Anyone please correct me if they think I'm being naive or something.

1. I've seen people switch both ways (from pharmacy to PA and backwards) with the spectrum of results depending on how thoughtful they were. The limitation is that both are mid-level in some senses (pharmacy is actually terminal for certain functions), but if you want to actually care directly for patients, pharmacy is a poor substitute for a primary clinical job. However, being a PA compared with MD/DO practice is kind of the same way a pharmacy tech is to pharmacy, there are plenty of pharmacy techs that are better workers and smarter than pharmacists, but the stupidest and laziest pharmacist still is a pharmacist, and the techs always get the lower level work. The career trajectory is that PA's have a fairly fun and awesome early practice, but increasingly either have to make peace with being an MLP or be frustrated about their leash. I sincerely hope that those who go to PA school are ok with the limited investment, limited commitment aspect as I think that's really a plus.

While it is conceivable that a PA and PharmD in the same person could do both, in practice from the ones I know, they commit to one or the other as other things come up.

2. It's not just pharmacy where the sky has fallen, it's healthcare itself. It happened to physical therapists (if there was a PT forum in the early 2000s, they would be griping the same way that the pharmacists are griping now about everything going to hell). But for PA and NPs, there's already a projected oversupply, so you're basically going to have probably 5-10 years of employment and then the struggle you see here as pharmacists did who graduated in the early 00s. It's not getting any easier on dentists, physicians, or osteopaths based on CPT treadmills. Yet, another reason to consider not overinvesting in health care.

3 and 4. No, you're not a physician, you're a mid-level practitioner. Let's take even a broader case, a physician who happens to have a pharmacy background. Even pharmacists who are physicians, yeah, it's nice to know pharmacy when practicing medicine as there's certain things that come naturally and getting on the P&T Committee at a hospital is pretty straightforward, but you just don't do the pharmacy work as a physician (and if you are, you're basically paying to work as a pharmacist). Physicians who know what they are doing drop the dogsbody work (guideline following, the simple presented cases) on PAs and clinical pharmacists and exploit them for CPT reimbursement. There is a useful future where MD's basically own a stable of PA's and NP's to run patients through the CPT generation factory and skim off the top as passive income. Urgent care and anesthesiology works like this now. (And there are quite a few physician groups where senior partner MD's exploit junior MD's, this is a particular problem in Surgery where senior surgeons take advantage of junior surgeon egomania to screw them over financially).

4. (The question that you didn't ask yourself.) Who do you want to be exploited by for labor?
The majority of pharmacists either work in a corporate pharmacy setting which values the bottom line or hospitals who value the bottom line. It is possible as a pharmacist to go into business for themselves as pharmacy is a terminal profession for something, but this is unlikely. Pharmacists are actual employees of both types (trust me, CVS and Walgreens tried to figure out if they could 1099 staff pharmacists, they can't), so even though corporate governance is a PITA, you do get rewarded for it every two weeks, and that's with a decent medical and dental plan. It's also normal to scale work in terms of shifts for the majority of the profession (going to and from part time status is not extremely difficult).

The majority of PA's work directly for physicians and the minority work for systems that are nominally supervised by physicians (e.g. the urgent care CPT Farm). You are not allowed to work on your own, and you are not going to own the means for production unless you hire a physician yourself in your company. PA work can be a contractor relationship or a direct employee, but the terms are much more variable than pharmacy and like other MLPs (and RDH's in particular) there seems to be age discrimination in their hiring in a way that pharmacy and nursing doesn't as direct employees (not that they don't face it, but it's widely commented upon even in the schools that there's no such thing as an ugly PA in a private practice even considering the job market).

This is also the pharmacist forum, so of course I'm biased toward pharmacy, but that's also because it's the one health profession that does not require being personally extroverted, having good manners, or appreciable bedside manner for what I trained for. I find the need to have those characteristics necessary for being a PA.

If you are going to choose, why not medicine? You probably need to rule that out before you think about pharmacy versus PA considering that you seem to have the kind of time to think about it.

Reactions: 3 users
Scam, scam, this is a scam.

What's a scam about it?
I think he says this because the scope of practice for each is so different. The two degrees don't synergize because they form distinct parts of the healthcare value chain, and you spend an extra year's worth of tuition + time for them.

Just skimming through the UW page, you have to be a P2 to apply for the dual. It seems that UW's providing an 'exit' for students who decide they don't want pharmacy after all, like the PharmD/MD programs out there.

No one can really tell you that your choice is wrong, given you want to work part-time for both professions and want a safety net, but I think it's a bit premature to consider such a thing given the above. Apply to pharmacy school because you want to be a pharmacist, or apply to PA school because you want to be a PA. Choose schools that have breadth of optionality (like UW) to keep doors open in case you change your mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think he says this because the scope of practice for each is so different. The two degrees don't synergize because they form distinct parts of the healthcare value chain, and you spend an extra year's worth of tuition + time for them.

Just skimming through the UW page, you have to be a P2 to apply for the dual. It seems that UW's providing an 'exit' for students who decide they don't want pharmacy after all, like the PharmD/MD programs out there.

No one can really tell you that your choice is wrong, given you want to work part-time for both professions and want a safety net, but I think it's a bit premature to consider such a thing given the above. Apply to pharmacy school because you want to be a pharmacist, or apply to PA school because you want to be a PA. Choose schools that have breadth of optionality (like UW) to keep doors open in case you change your mind.

Thank you for that response. I appreciate your honesty, but also your support and lack of negativity!

why? stop hedging yourself and wasting time and money. In life, you need to make DECISIONS and STICK with IT all the way through. GO AT IT HARD. After, if you realize that you're unhappy then take action to change and do something else if you have to. The people that succeed the most in life are the ones that pick one thing and do it extremely well. The people that are wishy washy about their ambitions and goals always want to hedge and do double the work and double the time for no more rewards. Stop being wishy washy. A PharmD/PA just means you'll have two mediocre mid-level degrees in the end.

why? stop hedging yourself and wasting time and money. In life, you need to make DECISIONS and STICK with IT all the way through. GO AT IT HARD. After, if you realize that you're unhappy then take action to change and do something else if you have to. The people that succeed the most in life are the ones that pick one thing and do it extremely well. The people that are wishy washy about their ambitions and goals always want to hedge and do double the work and double the time for no more rewards. Stop being wishy washy. A PharmD/PA just means you'll have two mediocre mid-level degrees in the end.
What would you recommend that he do? Get an MD?

What would you recommend that he do? Get an MD?

OP should first decide if he wants to see/exam/follow patients or just be a point of service type provider that does not have to exam/touch/follow patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think you might want to be a PA, just go to PA school and forget about pharmacy school. PA school will take half as long to complete, is cheaper than pharmacy school, and there's a good chance that at the time you graduate, you'll be presented with the opportunity to take a good PA job in a nice area where the pharmacist job market is totally saturated (I.e., you probably will have more opportunities to capitalize on your PA degree at the expense of your pharmacy degree).

Look at it like this -- would you feel comfortable with taking a PA job in an undesirable rural area because it happened to be the only area where you could also find a pharmacist job? The pharmacy degree is going to be the "rate-limiting factor" here.

(Speaking as a former pharmacy student with a well-established history of failure who still dropped out of pharmacy school anyways)

Are any of you current students and practicing pharmacists graduates of UW's PharmD/PA dual-degree program? Or does anyone know anyone who went through the program?

I'm applying to UW and very interested in this program and would love to hear about people's thoughts and experiences!

PA school all the way. 28 months. In and out. Better job growth, reported job satisfaction. The pharmacy program is way too long. The only way I see this working out is if you're a pharmacist in retail and have no other way to get into a hospital. Sure, then I'd rationalize doing the PA program as doing 2 years of residency. If you've been in retail even just for a few years it will be easier to get into a PA program than try to get accepted into a pharmacy residency program.

Pass up on the nonsense and go straight to PA school.

1. I've seen people switch both ways (from pharmacy to PA and backwards) with the spectrum of results depending on how thoughtful they were. The limitation is that both are mid-level in some senses (pharmacy is actually terminal for certain functions), but if you want to actually care directly for patients, pharmacy is a poor substitute for a primary clinical job. However, being a PA compared with MD/DO practice is kind of the same way a pharmacy tech is to pharmacy, there are plenty of pharmacy techs that are better workers and smarter than pharmacists, but the stupidest and laziest pharmacist still is a pharmacist, and the techs always get the lower level work. The career trajectory is that PA's have a fairly fun and awesome early practice, but increasingly either have to make peace with being an MLP or be frustrated about their leash. I sincerely hope that those who go to PA school are ok with the limited investment, limited commitment aspect as I think that's really a plus.

While it is conceivable that a PA and PharmD in the same person could do both, in practice from the ones I know, they commit to one or the other as other things come up.

2. It's not just pharmacy where the sky has fallen, it's healthcare itself. It happened to physical therapists (if there was a PT forum in the early 2000s, they would be griping the same way that the pharmacists are griping now about everything going to hell). But for PA and NPs, there's already a projected oversupply, so you're basically going to have probably 5-10 years of employment and then the struggle you see here as pharmacists did who graduated in the early 00s. It's not getting any easier on dentists, physicians, or osteopaths based on CPT treadmills. Yet, another reason to consider not overinvesting in health care.

3 and 4. No, you're not a physician, you're a mid-level practitioner. Let's take even a broader case, a physician who happens to have a pharmacy background. Even pharmacists who are physicians, yeah, it's nice to know pharmacy when practicing medicine as there's certain things that come naturally and getting on the P&T Committee at a hospital is pretty straightforward, but you just don't do the pharmacy work as a physician (and if you are, you're basically paying to work as a pharmacist). Physicians who know what they are doing drop the dogsbody work (guideline following, the simple presented cases) on PAs and clinical pharmacists and exploit them for CPT reimbursement. There is a useful future where MD's basically own a stable of PA's and NP's to run patients through the CPT generation factory and skim off the top as passive income. Urgent care and anesthesiology works like this now. (And there are quite a few physician groups where senior partner MD's exploit junior MD's, this is a particular problem in Surgery where senior surgeons take advantage of junior surgeon egomania to screw them over financially).

4. (The question that you didn't ask yourself.) Who do you want to be exploited by for labor?
The majority of pharmacists either work in a corporate pharmacy setting which values the bottom line or hospitals who value the bottom line. It is possible as a pharmacist to go into business for themselves as pharmacy is a terminal profession for something, but this is unlikely. Pharmacists are actual employees of both types (trust me, CVS and Walgreens tried to figure out if they could 1099 staff pharmacists, they can't), so even though corporate governance is a PITA, you do get rewarded for it every two weeks, and that's with a decent medical and dental plan. It's also normal to scale work in terms of shifts for the majority of the profession (going to and from part time status is not extremely difficult).

The majority of PA's work directly for physicians and the minority work for systems that are nominally supervised by physicians (e.g. the urgent care CPT Farm). You are not allowed to work on your own, and you are not going to own the means for production unless you hire a physician yourself in your company. PA work can be a contractor relationship or a direct employee, but the terms are much more variable than pharmacy and like other MLPs (and RDH's in particular) there seems to be age discrimination in their hiring in a way that pharmacy and nursing doesn't as direct employees (not that they don't face it, but it's widely commented upon even in the schools that there's no such thing as an ugly PA in a private practice even considering the job market).

This is also the pharmacist forum, so of course I'm biased toward pharmacy, but that's also because it's the one health profession that does not require being personally extroverted, having good manners, or appreciable bedside manner for what I trained for. I find the need to have those characteristics necessary for being a PA.

If you are going to choose, why not medicine? You probably need to rule that out before you think about pharmacy versus PA considering that you seem to have the kind of time to think about it.

Have OP Pick one or the other. Loans are no joke

Last edited:
What's a scam about it?

Keep in mind that you are reading comments from the perspective of pharmacists... essentially you are being trained for a profession that doesn't exist, which is perplexing to some... still a the majority of the jobs in pharmacy are retail, coming from cvs, Walgreens, rite aid, etc... the chains care about how fast you can fill the rx,
Having a PA license does not add value to them . In pharmacy school, we are taught that pharmacists aren't trained to diagnose. The pharmacy employer might actually have a concern that you recognize and that you practice within the scope of your practice and counsel or say things that are not within the scope of PA practice inside of a pharmacy. As far as your plan to practice both professions to maintain full time employment hours , I don't know if you find the flexible employers to accommodate that and nobody else does. I think the main point is both professions are on the decline, both depend on md/do, the pa/PHARMd is not like peanut butter and jelly

I find this program embarrassing and a slap in the face for both professions. I can't believe the BoP and BoPA(?) would agree to something like this. Neither professions complement each other. Employers will not pay you extra to have a PA background to be a pharmacist nor will they pay you extra to have a PharmD background to be a PA.

In a hospital setting, I don't see you flipping between roles, either. Can't imagine how it feels when the nurses/physicians go up to you with "can you verify the order?" when you are acting as a PA for a shift.

I could ONLY see this being useful if you wanted to open up your own pharmacy AND clinic. Then you can be the sole proprietor. That being said, it doesn't seem like the program is marketed for that.

You're probably looking for answers in the wrong place. Do yourself a favor and do a search on linkedin for people with both credentials and reach out to them. See what they have to say.
Your school might be able to put you in contact with alumni. That might be a better venue for you to get answers. If the idea of getting both degrees makes your heart beat faster, who are we to tell you to not pursue that option?

Thank you for the many replies.

I'm going to somewhat disregard the more negative responses, such as ones labeling PharmD and PA degrees as "mediocre" or are pessimistic about healthcare altogether.

The general consensus I'm getting is that the PharmD/PA dual degree seems unnecessary because there is little to no overlap in responsibilities and is therefore a poor choice?

My follow up question is is there any benefit to a dual degree for pharmacists (aside from MBA, which I am 100% not interested in)? As a student, what can I do to ensure both success and employability as a pharmacist? Please, no suggestions of changing careers/degrees.

I'm going to somewhat disregard the more negative responses, such as ones labeling PharmD and PA degrees as "mediocre" or are pessimistic about healthcare altogether.

Then you'll be living in denial.

Check BLS stats, recent credible article in pharmacy magazines that depict saturation, and HRSA stats.

The general consensus I'm getting is that the PharmD/PA dual degree seems unnecessary because there is little to no overlap in responsibilities and is therefore a poor choice?

My follow up question is is there any benefit to a dual degree for pharmacists (aside from MBA, which I am 100% not interested in)? As a student, what can I do to ensure both success and employability as a pharmacist? Please, no suggestions of changing careers/degrees.

Instead of trying to figure out where multiple degrees can take you, decide where you want to go and then figure out how to get there.

There is a benefit to a dual PharmD/PhD, but I only advise PharmD's to consider it toward the end of their didactic training (3rd professional year) and not as admission. I have never voted yes yet to a dual degree applicant if applying for both simultaneous as I find them inadequate to judge competency at that early a stage, I would only do so if someone made the argument that immediately doing both would be in their career best interest like research medicinal chemistry, biotechnology, or pharmaceutics (and I have never seen such a candidate yet because there is not a good argument from the US citizens to not go solely for one or the other at first).

I have never seen an MS/MPH/MBA degree work out financially for anyone that the workplace did not sponsor (so degrees earned in industry or academic fellowships are passable), though it sometimes redesignates them for work elsewhere. If you work is paying you to go get it, then that's worth considering.

I really echo the above posters, even the negative ones, that keep pointing out that you need to work in something as this broad a base of questions is a line asked when you lack experience. If you don't know exactly why you're going for a professional degree and have some idea on what you are going to do with it when done, you should not be going for one. It depresses me when I see PhD's apply for pharmacy school as they basically ended up working for less than our janitors for three years before they understood what they wanted to do and it wasn't what they were doing.

I had one UW classmate (out of 87) who went the dual route. I think s/he likes it now, but was stressed like the rest of us finding work after s/he graduated 2 years after us. Now a practicing PA-C in another state.
I have no doubt their scripts are clean and dosing impeccable. I'm not sure it was worth the extra tuition and lost years of work.
UW in general promotes the clinical side more than a lot of pharmacy programs, thus their continued support for PA/PharmD. It does strike me as very expensive with questionable payoff for most students.

I would not agree with you. I am a pharmacist and I am in NP school. There is a huge demand on NPs and PAs. All my friends got a job a year before graduation. The point to be a doctor instead PharmD is a valid one. I chose NP, because I can work independently in 22 states. No physician supervision required. It was very attractive to me. However, I had to go to RN school at first, and I can say it was not the most pleasant experience in my life.

I would not agree with you. I am a pharmacist and I am in NP school. There is a huge demand on NPs and PAs. All my friends got a job a year before graduation. The point to be a doctor instead PharmD is a valid one. I chose NP, because I can work independently in 22 states. No physician supervision required. It was very attractive to me. However, I had to go to RN school at first, and I can say it was not the most pleasant experience in my life.

We'll see, I'm not sure when you took your RPh, but they said the same thing about career longevity in 2004 when I graduated with pharmacy. But even then, nursing has always had cyclical demand and unemployment (I tend to believe the labor pool theory myself). There's plenty of actual research on that problem as well as anecdotes in city environments. I see the same overproduction with NPs and PAs right now, in the same style that pharmacy is going through now, and the same way that the PT's did when I graduated. I'm glad I didn't listen to the hype and found something that I wanted to do irrespective of demand or salary (I'd do the civil service job I'm doing for $50k now although I'm paid a bit more than three and a half times that).

If you really care about people in that way where being an NP suits your personality, great, I'm happy for you (although I wish that you didn't become a pharmacist as the skillsets are really not that compatible). But, if it's about career stability and longevity, being a midlevel practitioner has its own challenges on top of the issues nursing intrinsically has as a labor pool. It's fine to work, but there's survival bias there as well.

It is a big waste of money to get a combo PharmD/PA degree. As others have pointed out, you will either use one, or you will use the other. I'm not sure there are any jobs where both would be used (maybe if you were into research....but even then you would be better off getting a PA/PhD than a PharmD/PA degree. It's one thing if someone has one of those degrees, believes they made a mistake and wants to switch careers. It makes no sense to start out getting a degree in both. Just pick 1 and go with that. Most likely it will work for you, and if not, then you can look at going back to switch degrees.

Work, work, work. Work during school. Work really hard wherever you go after you graduate. If you want to work inpatient/amb care, most likely you'll have to do a residency or go rural. Regardless of where you end up right after graduation, show people that your work ethics is impeccable, and you're always willing to learn and improve. If you get your co-workers to like you and willing to vouch for you, even if there's no spot at your residency training institution afterwards, you will manage to get a job by referral. This is what happened to me and some of my friends.

I also agree that I don't see the dual degree benefiting most people. I say most people, because some people have parents who pay for their schooling; if money wasn't an issue and I was going to school for fun, for learning's sake, not for an income, I would do a PharmD/MD/PhD and stay in school forever (and then graduate and not have to work, yay!). Learning is fun! As you can see, very few people can afford to do all the learning they want, because very few people have unlimited money to spend all their time in school and not work. I'm saying this with 0 sarcasm - as an adult, you have to weigh your risk and benefit. The benefit is that you have a fallback if pharmacy doesn't work out; the risk is more years in school and potentially 0 extra rewards. In my opinion in this case, the benefit isn't worth the risk. Despite being in one of the most saturated areas of the country for pharmacy and witnessing plenty of jobless grads, I'm of the firm belief that if you're willing to relocate, you'll be fine. Now, if you're absolutely unable to relocate d/t family reasons, having a fallback may not be a bad thing. Me? I would never do it. I would be willing to go through the schooling, but I can't see myself dealing with people directly the way NP/PA/MD do it. If you're on the fence, you may need to think about it some more.

We'll see, I'm not sure when you took your RPh, but they said the same thing about career longevity in 2004 when I graduated with pharmacy. But even then, nursing has always had cyclical demand and unemployment (I tend to believe the labor pool theory myself). There's plenty of actual research on that problem as well as anecdotes in city environments. I see the same overproduction with NPs and PAs right now, in the same style that pharmacy is going through now, and the same way that the PT's did when I graduated. I'm glad I didn't listen to the hype and found something that I wanted to do irrespective of demand or salary (I'd do the civil service job I'm doing for $50k now although I'm paid a bit more than three and a half times that).
I graduated in 2005 with my RRh. At the time I was 22 and I did love being a pharmacist. I loved every single day at work. As you probably know, the highest rate of burnout of pharmacists is in retail. In 2011 I was no longer considering being a pharmacist. So I went to a nursing school with the end goal to be the NP. I research reimbursement rates for NPs and some were as high as 200K. It probably depends on the state, but in Nevada and California is a huge need in NPs, PAs, and Family Practitioners. I think being both NP and RPh will give me more work opportunities and make me a better provider. I would note, the time I spent in nursing school plus years of not working may not be ever recouped.

I also agree that I don't see the dual degree benefiting most people..
Being both RPh and future NP, I have a completely different view on MDs and mid-level providers. In my pharmacy school we used to joke a lot about MDs, DDSs, and etc. Now I am in the middle. I do understand challenges of both professions. I may not benefit financially from spending extra time studying, however, I will be a much better pharmacist and NP.

I would hold out for the new quadruple major program. PharmD/NP/Notary/Uber Driver.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Super interesting that this popped up after almost a year....

Interesting discussion from everyone, but it's somewhat moot to me at this point since I am no longer considering the dual-degree. Honestly, after getting into several pharmacy schools, I'm not really considering pharmacy.

Interesting discussion from everyone, but it's somewhat moot to me at this point since I am no longer considering the dual-degree. Honestly, after getting into several pharmacy schools, I'm not really considering pharmacy.

I just thought of a great possible use of the dual degree PharmD/PA. Manage care working on prior authorizations and P&T! The insights of duel degree would be super amazing to your company's bottom line and as there is not a dispensary component, you CAN use both degrees...I wouldnt know if it would pay more though.......
Your not doing pharmacy? What are you doing now?

Wow... So what is ur decision than?

I would hold out for the new quadruple major program. PharmD/NP/Notary/Uber Driver.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm really surprised no one is offering a PharmD/JD degree....2 oversaturated degrees, that probably would offer a benefit to the person who has both of them.

Oh never mind, I just googled it, and sure enough, there are lots of Pharm.D/JD programs out there.

Wow... So what is ur decision than?
I'm deferring pharmacy school for a year to work, study and take the MCAT, and overall beef up my application for medical school instead.

So schools just come up with another combination to con students into taking massive loans and paying for a nearly useless degree ?

I just thought of a great possible use of the dual degree PharmD/PA. Manage care working on prior authorizations and P&T! The insights of duel degree would be super amazing to your company's bottom line and as there is not a dispensary component, you CAN use both degrees...I wouldnt know if it would pay more though.......

I don't know if I agree. Treatment algorithms and guidelines are covered in Pharmacy School. There are great managed care residencies who will teach you the scope of being a managed care pharmacist.

Understanding anatomy, physio, how to diagnose, which would be supplemented by a PA program wouldnot add much benefit to managed care RPh practice, a residency is usually the norm for most managed care positions with exception of PA process.