U of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drccw

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how's the new chair doing there? She came from Duke where I remember her being quite uh hmm special to work with at times.. is she shaking things up or status quo?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you honestly expect a current UW resident to say anything other than "she is doing great, one of the best things ever to happen to UW anesthesia?"

She is doing great, one of the best things ever to happen to UW anesthesia.

I'm not dead yet
-pod

Members don't see this ad :)
been a reader of this forum for 2 years, but this is my first post. I'm currently at the program and have plenty of good things to say about it. Its a large program (66 residentS) and has every fellowships (pain, neuro, crit care, CT, etc). almost all the attendings are excellent, most are very well published and enjoy teaching. There are a lot of big names here. There is the odd visiting doc from out country here to teach temporarily that may not be up to par a the regular faculty, there are only a few of them. lots of teaching time in or, but independence when you need/want it. call is pretty good, depending on rotation, 4-5 overnights/month. a few late nights a month. you always have post call off, and 95% of the time, you have your call day off until 4pm, so essentially your call is 4pm-7am next day. there is a push from above tochange to night float system which may have us working more, but hopefully that will not happen ..

we rotate through the children's hopital, a major trauma center, and the VA in addition to the main uw campus.

a lot of what you read on scutwork is outdated by a a number of years. the residency is a top 10 program in the country, has tons of NIH funding in the department and overall, everyone seems to be happy here (at least the R2 and R3 residents). the new chair has been here for over a year and isn't doing too much to shake things up from the way it used to be prior to her coming. program director is great and very supportive.

hope that helps

-current UW resident