NFKB

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Can anyone comment on the required intern year at U Penn? Also, does the program ever make exceptions for applicants whom, for a convincing reason, may need to be in a different location for the year? Thank you!

Scrybe9

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Having actually gone through it, I will say that it's no more difficult than any other academic internship out there. More importantly the training is fantastic. Sure the 30 hour calls were brutal, but as someone said above... the new work hour requirements will take care of that.

Getting to know the institution, the attendings, and the residents who will be calling consults into you is a major bonus. The inpatient onc service is a great experience.

As a program that is categorical, there is no option to even rank the program outside of the included internship. I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing an exception would be difficult to swing.

cyberknife

cyberknife
Jul 27, 2010
Status
have they finished issuing all of their invites? their interview dates are coming up in like 2 weeks. does anyone have an inside scoop? are there additional dates?

Dec 1, 2009
Status
is Penn considered a good radiation oncology training program? you dont really hear it mentioned much so just curious. what is it strong in?

DukeNukem

Shake it, baby!
7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Someone on the interview trail pointed out to me that the PD did her TY at the cushiest TY in Philly. LOL.

have they finished issuing all of their invites? their interview dates are coming up in like 2 weeks. does anyone have an inside scoop? are there additional dates?
They finish Dec 16th. I'm pretty sure all the final invites were sent out about a week ago.

is Penn considered a good radiation oncology training program? you dont really hear it mentioned much so just curious. what is it strong in?
They're famous mostly for protons, prostate brachy, Eli Glatstein's opinions, and Steve Hahn's charm.

Scrybe9

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Someone on the interview trail pointed out to me that the PD did her TY at the cushiest TY in Philly. LOL.
Well, I suppose there's something to be said for seeing the error of your ways...

They're famous mostly for protons, prostate brachy, Eli Glatstein's opinions, and Steve Hahn's charm.
Yes, for better or worse... but also an amazing wealth of knowledge and expertise in lymphoma, sarcoma and pediatrics. Big volume of lung, GI, and GU with plenty of the other sites for everyone to be satisfied including GYN with brachy. Plus, Penn has resources falling out the wazoo so there's a place for the smaller areas such as PDT and experimental radbio and physics to flourish as well.

Knucklehead

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I interviewed there. The facilities were badass and the people would make great colleagues. With the new facilities and increasing volume, I think UPenn will take its place amongst anyone's list of top tier programs in a few short years.