U.S. >>> Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult would it be for me to obtain a medical license and work in Canada as a psychiatrist?

My background: I graduated from a Caribbean medical school. I am U.S. citizen. Upon finishing my 4 year general psychiatry residency within the U.S., I plan on completing a 1 year psychiatric fellowship within the U.S.

If anyone can comment on the process I need to pursue to work as a Canadian psychiatrist, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You probably need to contact the official governing body in Canada (I think it's Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons or smth, not too sure) for a good answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will need to contact the royal college of physicians and they will assess your training to see if you qualify, you should do this soon because it can take upto 6 months to complete this process. If your training is accepted, and I think it will be, then you will be eligible to take the licensing exam

I completed the same process for internal med. and i'm taking the exam in the spring

How difficult would it be for me to obtain a medical license and work in Canada as a psychiatrist?

My background: I graduated from a Caribbean medical school. I am U.S. citizen. Upon finishing my 4 year general psychiatry residency within the U.S., I plan on completing a 1 year psychiatric fellowship within the U.S.

If anyone can comment on the process I need to pursue to work as a Canadian psychiatrist, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

you also need to contact the provincial college of physicians in the province you think you might wanna work. Some do consider american boards as equivalents while in others it's different. But as far as pg training, you're set with 5 years.

I might not have any idea of what I'm talking about here, but I was told that coming from a Carribean school you couldn't practice in Canada. Is that only true for getting a residency spot? Or not true at all?

Sorry, I hope I didn't take your post off subject - I just wanted to get my fats straight about this.

Dear Prominence (& any other medical students/residents/physicians with an interest in practicing medicine in Ontario),

I am a Recruitment & Relocation Advisor with the HealthForceOntario Marketing and Recruitment Agency (HFO MRA). I would be happy to work with you to provide you with information about your route to practice here in Ontario. Please feel free to email me with questions at anytime. If you would like to send me your updated CV, I would be happy to review it and provide you with information regarding certification, registration, immigration and/or practice opportunities in Ontario. These services are free of charge through HealthForceOntario, an agency that has been created by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to help physicians navigate the system to practice in Ontario.

For more information, my email is [email protected] or you can visit the HFO website: www.healthforceontario.ca

Best of Luck!

I have heard of Caribbean graduates who had US residency and work experience finding jobs in Canada but I am not sure how it is possible. It seems logical given the fact that the US Dollar is now worth less than the Canadian dollar, and on a recent article Canada was listed as country with a better quality of life than the USA.