China and Eastern Asia U.S. undergrad trying for Hong Kong Med Schools

Started by Trauma1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trauma1

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to apply to medical school in Hong Kong. I have been reading up on the schools, but I am still unclear on one thing. I know that the system is similar to the UK, but is it possible to matriculate to either HKU or Li Ka Shing with a degree from a top 20 school in the US? I hear that there are a couple of people who entered after the undergraduate section.
 
It is possible, but the program is very competitive. I would say that it is as competitive as top 25 med schools in the US. There are only 2 universities with school of medicine in HK and I think there are only about 90 to 100 spots for each. I got rejected from there. Granted that my stats are not that great, but my friend, a HK citizen with lots of research experience and competitive GPA also got rejected.