UAB interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtwannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at UABSO last friday. I have a 3.65 GPA with a 300 TS on the OAT. I have about 35 hrs. shadowing and I work part time. I have a BS in Science and was an all american in volleyball. I have a passion for optometry, but I hadn't taken O.Chem but was trying to take it (all classes had been full) so was going to take it in the summer and I'm taking BioChm this semester. I did well on the first panel interview but I felt that the one on one open file interview, the lady made it sound like I don't have a chance because I haven't taken O.Chem yet. (She said that they have accepted people in the past that had not taken O.Chem). There were about 2 resident seats and 3 nonresident seats left. I had about 8 other students interviewing that day. To be honest I'm nervous and kind of down that I'm going to get rejected. What do you all think? Any positive input would be much appreciated. About how long before I should hear something?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
your GPA is excellent but OAT is below average which might be a problem. If you had applied early then you would have substantially improved your chances. But, your GPA and application might overlook your OAT score just stay calm and be prepared for both scenarios. You should hear soon since I found out within few days but I interviewed really early.

Thanks, yeah I'm wishing I had taken O.Chem last Fall and had applied much earlier. Oh well, it is what is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out that they want me to retake my OAT, due to my low O.Chem score (270 TS). But I would need to take O.Chem prior to retaking it. Is it worth waiting a year to reapply next year?

I just found out that they want me to retake my OAT, due to my low O.Chem score (270 TS). But I would need to take O.Chem prior to retaking it. Is it worth waiting a year to reapply next year?

did you get accepted anywhere else?

No not yet. I was really only hoping for UAB because I could get in-state tuition.