UAB or UCSB, which is the better pick for pre-med?

What should I pick?

• UAB

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • UCSB

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

CoolKid575

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently an HS Senior in the process of applying to colleges, while I have a few other safeties and reach schools lined up; the 2 main options I'm seriously considering are UAB and UCSB. I'm a resident of Alabama and have fairly good grades (30 ACT and a ~4.1 weighted GPA) so I'm eligible for a decent amount of scholarship money from UAB, it's also pretty highly ranked in medicine and has an attached medical school, which is definitely a plus, and I've toured their campus and found it quite nice.

On the other hand, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of being stuck in Alabama for an additional 4 years (possibly 8 or 12 depending on where I can get into med school/residency). I've only lived here for 2.5 years and have already gotten more than my fill, and moving so close to where I already live (I'm only an hour away from Birmingham) feels like it would be a bit underwhelming compared to having a true fresh start without the baggage I've accumulated over the past few years in my current location. UCSB would provide that fresh start, but I've also heard that there are relatively few opportunities for research / volunteer hours compared to universities with their own med school. Cost is also a factor as I won't be eligible for any in-state scholarships if I attend UCSB (I'm essentially dead-average for an accepted applicant there, so I likely won't be eligible for many merit scholarships either), but honestly my mentality is that this whole journey is going to cost so much either way I may as well go to the school I enjoy more regardless. If I get into both (which I'm aware isn't a guarantee), which one should I choose?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Without knowing the specifics I would almost certainly say whichever is cheaper.

If one school has a lot more support fram an advising office and research opportunities, maybe that one, but I doubt the difference will rise to justify you borrowing lots of money. That debt will accrue the whole time you're in medical training

Reactions: 1 user
honestly my mentality is that this whole journey is going to cost so much either way I may as well go to the school I enjoy more regardless
This is a bad idea. I have classmates who are in over $600,000 of debt because of this mindset.

I would go to the cheaper school. But you have to do math regardless. You want to keep your debt under $500,000 if possible, because that’s the highest amount you’ll be able to reasonably pay off as an internist or FM doc or pediatrician.

And hey, paying off $500,000 still freaking hurts, dude. But once you start getting over $600,000 in student loans it starts getting difficult to pay off even as an attending physician. Don’t stick your head in the sand.

Reactions: 1 users