Which UC is better for premed? UCSB or UCR

panda56

Reaction score
Hi! I got into UCSB for Biological Sciences and UC Riverside for Neuroscience. (I also got into USC for Neuroscience but despite all I’ve done I cannot attend for financial reasons. And I was waitlisted at UC Davis, UC San Diego, UCLA, and UC Berkeley.) I’m having a hard time deciding where to commit: UCSB or UCR.

If you’d like to learn more about both of my options, reach out to me and I can send some screenshots about notes I’ve taken so far about UCSB and its opportunities from Open House, webinars, talking to current students, and online research. I was wondering if anyone had any insight they’d like to share with me about either UCSB or UCR.

I’m leaning more towards UCSB but maybe that’s only because of the ranking and its location and UCR’s reputation as a low tier UC. (Which aren’t very good reasons to be honest.) UCR is still a high contender because of its pipeline programs with UCR SOM and clinical volunteering programs like cope health scholars and it’s many hospitals and clinics nearby. And I’m afraid that I won’t feel like I belong at UCSB because of the culture people usually associate with it (partying and whatnot). I was wondering if I could contact anyone who has attended either school or applied for medical school from both schools or were accepted to medical school and ask about their process. Does anyone have any regrets about choosing UCSB? What about UCR

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Moved to hSDN.

As California has many pre-med students across the UC campuses, people will have a range of experiences.

The early assurance program and the fact UCR is focused on IE residents even outside that gives some benefit to attending them.

Reactions: 1 user