UAB Pathology program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my pathology training many years ago at UAB, but haven't seen the program discussed recently in any of the rank list discussions. There has been essentially complete faculty turnover from the time I was there. What are the current views regarding the UAB pathology residency program? Just wondering if there are issues since I don't see the program discussed.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s probably a fine place, just overshadowed by regional places like Duke, Emory and Vanderbilt which get discussed more. A few hours down the road is probably worth the increased case complexity, fellowship options and amenities of a bigger city for most.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm recently out of residency and I've heard rumors of a malignant culture there. No idea if they're actually true or not.

It’s probably a fine place, just overshadowed by regional places like Duke, Emory and Vanderbilt which get discussed more. A few hours down the road is probably worth the increased case complexity, fellowship options and amenities of a bigger city for most.

I can understand the amenities of a bigger city, I guess (at least Atlanta and Nashville, certainly not Durham), but case complexity is not an issue. UAB is the 8th largest hospital in the country and is massive in scale.

Fellowship options are as plentiful as anywhere else. When I trained there our biggest problem was with Emory and Vanderbilt picking off talented assistant and associate professors before they advanced all the way up the ladder. From the outside looking in that seems to have been addressed with the addition of a new chair and surgical pathology director who are both internationally known.