UAB vs. Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swankypremed

Reaction score
UAB
Pros
  • Full scholarship
  • Existing connections to faculty
  • Good match, great school with a good reputation
  • Diverse student body
Cons
  • Conditional primary care acceptance. I really think I would be happy as a primary care doc, but I am kinda having second-thoughts. I met a dermatologist and have an unexplored interest in derm (and anesthesia). I can't switch into the regular MD program unless I want to reapply next cycle.
  • I don't really want to live in Alabama

Vanderbilt
Pros
  • DREAM SCHOOL
  • T-15, excellent match and an incredible reputation
  • Incredible faculty & student body
  • True P/F
  • 1 yr preclinical + lots of flexibility in the curriculum to explore specialty interests and become very competitive for residency
  • I love Nashville!
Cons
  • $110k COA for 4 years.... No merit scholarship & need-based scholarships have not been released
  • Not as diverse

Members don't see this ad.

I'm generally a "follow the money" kind of person (with nuance, ofc), but the fact that you're *already* having doubts about a career in primary care makes me think you might actually need to take the Vanderbilt offer. I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm debt-averse, but nothing is worse than being forced into a field you don't want to be in.

You may very well end up deciding to go into primary care, but if you fall in love with a non-primary care specialty during med school, you're just SOL if you go to UAB. You already have 2 non-primary care specialties you're interested in.

The amount of classmates I have who came in set on one thing but ultimately changed their minds is quite a big number. I'd say Vandy. Reapplying with 2 acceptances would be a hard thing to explain lol

Reactions: 4 users
I'm generally a "follow the money" kind of person (with nuance, ofc), but the fact that you're *already* having doubts about a career in primary care makes me think you might actually need to take the Vanderbilt offer. I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm debt-averse, but nothing is worse than being forced into a field you don't want to be in.

You may very well end up deciding to go into primary care, but if you fall in love with a non-primary care specialty during med school, you're just SOL if you go to UAB. You already have 2 non-primary care specialties you're interested in.

The amount of classmates I have who came in set on one thing but ultimately changed their minds is quite a big number. I'd say Vandy. Reapplying with 2 acceptances would be a hard thing to explain lol
Thank you for the response! I do also want to add that people on the UAB primary care track have historically gone into non-primary care specialties. Here is the match list: Match Information – College of Community Health Sciences | The University of Alabama Do you think this is a green flag or that it is still too risky. Again... have really only had clinical experiences in primary care and did love them but am just kinda commintment-phobic

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the response! I do also want to add that people on the UAB primary care track have historically gone into non-primary care specialties. Here is the match list: Match Information – College of Community Health Sciences | The University of Alabama Do you think this is a green flag or that it is still too risky. Again... have really only had clinical experiences in primary care and did love them but am just kinda commintment-phobic
Okay, clearly I'm not quite understanding how the program works. But if you can apply to other residencies to no detriment if you do this program, GO TO UAB! Lol.

UAB
Pros
  • Full scholarship
  • Existing connections to faculty
  • Good match, great school with a good reputation
  • Diverse student body
Cons
  • Conditional primary care acceptance. I really think I would be happy as a primary care doc, but I am kinda having second-thoughts. I met a dermatologist and have an unexplored interest in derm (and anesthesia). I can't switch into the regular MD program unless I want to reapply next cycle.
  • I don't really want to live in Alabama

Vanderbilt
Pros
  • DREAM SCHOOL
  • T-15, excellent match and an incredible reputation
  • Incredible faculty & student body
  • True P/F
  • 1 yr preclinical + lots of flexibility in the curriculum to explore specialty interests and become very competitive for residency
  • I love Nashville!
Cons
  • $110k COA for 4 years.... No merit scholarship & need-based scholarships have not been released
  • Not as diverse
I know a couple of Pre-Meds who shadowed with the UAB-PCT track. PM if you want more details.