UAB vs WAKE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1/2asser

slang'n beint
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got off wake and uab's wait lists and i'm frozen with indecision. i feel they're very similar as far as rank and quality of education, feel free to disagree with that. including undergrad debt ~200 at uab vs ~330 wake at graduation. i like wake but i don't know if i like it 130 grand more. i only have a few days to decide. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i should add that UAB is starting a new curric. this year. organ based integrated system, less lecture but more small group/pbl suff. also going to pass/fail

Winston-Salem is closer to the beach.

Good reason to pick one over ther other. Yet wake is really like 4 hours from the beach, plus a majority of the year is not beach weather.

Good luck with the descison!!!

I'd pick UAB - mainly bc the organ-based system will help with boards (at least I've read that from the boards here), and I would love pass/fail - united class environment - less competitive and gunner-ish. And UAB sounds cheaper!

If you stay in Bama, you will most likely devolop connections that will help you land a residency of your choice close to home, (which I think is the ultimate goal).

When do you have to let them know by?

i have to let uab know by monday. but, i signed a lease in winston on tues, so i have till the end of today i think to break it (3 day remitance (sp) on contracts in NC). i'm not dying to stay in bama or anything. i think it comes down to the fact that although i like wake more, i'll prob be getting the same residency in 4 years either way and i could save alot of money

I'd stay at UAB. While Alabama might not be the prettiest state or even most fun to live in, I'm someone who believes in practicality.

130k isn't a small amt by any means. Its not like counting a few pennies, and that to me is a big deal breaker..

I think cheap = better especially when the rank in the school is roughly the same for both places and reputation is equal.

UAB is traditionally in the top 30 ranked research schools and has an excellent reputation so I'd go there and save the money, but ultimately that decision is yours.

Well I'm still on Wakes waitlist and its my last shot this year, so if you go to UAB youll be doing me a gigantic favor.

Please let me know, what happens.

Well I'm still on Wakes waitlist and its my last shot this year, so if you go to UAB youll be doing me a gigantic favor.

i've been offered "a nice gift" if i pull out and this unnamed person gets in.....let the bidding war begin! jk, i'll let ya'll know asap

That's a tough one for sure. When in doubt I think money and location should be the deciding factors. I think if it were me in your shoes I would go to UAB without any regrets.

That's a tough one for sure. When in doubt I think money and location should be the deciding factors. I think if it were me in your shoes I would go to UAB without any regrets.
Yes, I also vote for UAB based on the money and the P/F curriculum.

Good luck with your decision!

1/2, if you don't mind me asking, how far down the waitlist did they tell you you were?

Go to Wake Forest!!!
Wake Forest Class of 2011

well after several sleepless nights and much undo anxiety i've decided to go with UAB. thank you to everyone for the input and i really hope someone here gets the spot at wake.

well after several sleepless nights and much undo anxiety i've decided to go with UAB. thank you to everyone for the input and i really hope someone here gets the spot at wake.

congrats dude. awesome school. best of luck.