UACOM vs UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrappydawg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get your opinions

I'm in at U of Arizona Med and Virginia and need some help deciding. I absolutely loved Virginia's program (bioethics, MA in Biomed Sci, strongly academic environment) I would really enjoy going to school there. However, it will come at a price in post medschool indebtness. If I attend U of A, I know I will be successful and graduate with less then 30,000 in debt, but realize that Virginia carries a bit more name recognition with residency nationally in terms of state schools.

I know where not talking about Harvard vs Columbia here, but what are your thoughts about a choice between an in-state school and a really good out of state school. What is a good balance between "happiness" and quality of life issues (financial, Pass/Fail, hours in class, etc) and how should they dictate a decision?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would go where you think you will be the happiest. If the debt is only consideration, I would go to UVA. I know the cost is important, but when your where you really want to be, I think you'll probably do even better and you only get this chance once in your life, so I'd say UVA.

Just my opinion though.:)

Good Luck!

Don't give this one another thought. UVA.

UVA has a very solid reputation and Charlottesville is a WONDERFUL place to live. We've got an up and coming football team too, so there will be some solid ACC games in cville this year (Maryland, NC State, Miami to name three).

CCW

Members don't see this ad :)
Who said anything about osteopathic schools? Unless I'm wrong, UACOM stands for University of Arizona College of Medicine. It's a good state allopathich medical school. Virginia is an even better state allopathic medical school. Since you seem to care about the financial aspect of things I'd pick Arizona, especially since you must be getting some $$ if you can graduate with less than 30k in debt. UVA is good, but it isn't stanford or hopkins. No way it's worth 120-150k(?) more than another allopathic school.

Usually allopathic schools don't have (COM) in them. The "of" is left out of every other acronym I've ever heard of. I edited my post. Sorry.

ex. VCOM (*V*irginia *C*ollege "of" *O*steopathic *M*edicine) not VCOOM.

CCW