UACP: Question from a Skeptic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotdao

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdie everyone! Well here is my story. I got accepted to HICP ( Hawaii College of Pharmacy a pre-candidate college of pharmacy), couple of weeks before I heard the news that it got shut down or close down, w/e ...

And this year I got accepted to UACP ( University of Appalachia college of pharmacy, also a pre-candidate cop)

Here are some of my questions/concern:

*note* COP = college of pharmacy
1) Can you really trust a pre-candidate COP to follow their promise and become accredited? Will UACP be another HICP ? ( I dont know too many details bout why HICP got close down)

2) Recently I saw a thread on SDN about UACP replacing a Dean and such ..
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3141215
(anyone know any other official word on this matter?)

3)Should I accept UACP's offer? I am so scare that this school will close down and wont refund the tuition. (2 of my friends attended HICP, they both lose about 40k each or some figure close to it .. still ... that's a lot of money to pay back without a proper degree)

P.S. I mean no disrespect to any HICP or UACP student/college. It's merely my concern.

please help! :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does the school have other health professions like dental, optometry?

rivatnt said:
Does the school have other health professions like dental, optometry?

no, I dont think so. But plz do correct me if I am wrong :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the school has law school, I don't know if they are affiliated. However, I did hear that they are planning to open up four year university along with pharmacy school. Aslo, when I went for my interview I did speak to Dean.Foss ( acting dean) and he said that he doesn't see a reason why the school should not get accredited. So I guess all we have to do is just wait and see or have faith in the faculty and first year students.

I know it will be very bad if it does not get accredited, I might just have to kill myself.

they are not affiliated with the law school.
but HICP did not have pre-candidate status either

i haven't heard anything about the prospect of the opening of a 4 year university in grundy

So are there anyone :confused: with any reason why Hotdao and UACP should not have this holy matrimony? :p Thanks.

-Hotdao :love:

hotdao said:
So are there anyone :confused: with any reason why Hotdao and UACP should not have this holy matrimony? :p Thanks.

-Hotdao :love:
b/c its grundy

Be Cautious To Calm Yourself Just Call Or Contact Acpe In Regards To Uacp And You Will Find That There Is More To The Story.

How long has UA been around? What other programs do they have? HICP failed for very specific reasons...most notably due to the fact that no one involved had any real experience starting or running a pharmacy program. In retrospect it's glaringly obvious that there was something fishy with the program. How much experience do the people running UACP have? Who are they working with and what model are they following? HICP was a quirk, but that doesn't mean lightning can't strike twice.

As someone previously hinted at, there is a big difference between HICP and UACP. HICP started without even getting precandidate status, and UACP got that before they even started. This status is not given unless the accredidation committee believes that it has everything in place to become fully accredited. I am going to be attending there as their second year class. I fell confident in the faculty and I know the government has given them a lot of money to get this school going. The faculty seems very capable, let's hope so. I wish I knew the recourse a student had if it doesn't go. I emailed a current student and I am waiting on his reply.

lharms said:
Be Cautious To Calm Yourself Just Call Or Contact Acpe In Regards To Uacp And You Will Find That There Is More To The Story.

Ah yes...the school is going alright and met with ACPE recently. It was a very positive meeting and everything went well. But you are not aware of this are you lharms since you spent your spring in FL :D

is this the same school as University of Arizona: College of Pharmacy in Tucson, Az??? From a list of rankings that I have, this school ranks #5. Am I missing someonething? How was it able to climb up the list if it's a fairly new school?

mustangrolla said:
is this the same school as University of Arizona: College of Pharmacy in Tucson, Az??? From a list of rankings that I have, this school ranks #5. Am I missing someonething? How was it able to climb up the list if it's a fairly new school?

No, two different schools. The one being discussed is the University of Appalachia in Grundy, VA.