UACP vs. Shenandoah ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, can you please help me decide between two of my last choices... I can't decide.. so they are both in Virginia. UACP is an accelerated 3 yr program (Candidate status, aka, same as full status)

Shenandoah is really well known, and it ends up closer to my home...(that is not a real deciding factor of course)... but it's a regular 4 yr with full status. Both schools seem really good.. anyone have any suggestions or any advice on which one to go for?!? Does one school focus more on a particular side of pharm or have better residency programs or help regarding that stuff after graduation ...also, which school in general is considered to have a better overall pharmacy education and experience and worth the money and loans... haha tuition is approximately the same... UACP slightly higher tuition rate... also, NAPLEX rates for the two schools ??

Thank you soo much guys...all ur input and help will truly be appreciated. Please help me decide... :/

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, can anyone help me out?! Please.... :(

Hey guys, can you please help me decide between two of my last choices... I can't decide.. so they are both in Virginia. UACP is an accelerated 3 yr program (Candidate status, aka, same as full status)

Shenandoah is really well known, and it ends up closer to my home...(that is not a real deciding factor of course)... but it's a regular 4 yr with full status. Both schools seem really good.. anyone have any suggestions or any advice on which one to go for?!? Does one school focus more on a particular side of pharm or have better residency programs or help regarding that stuff after graduation ...also, which school in general is considered to have a better overall pharmacy education and experience and worth the money and loans... haha tuition is approximately the same... UACP slightly higher tuition rate... also, NAPLEX rates for the two schools ??

Thank you soo much guys...all ur input and help will truly be appreciated. Please help me decide... :/

I don't know much about these particular schools, but from the basic search that I did they seem pretty similar. I think that you should pose this in the pharmacy student section. They can probably give you a better idea of which school would be the better choice, based on their current (or past) experiences. IMO, the accelerated program would be best, since you can be out and working in 3 years as opposed to 4. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

hey guys, please help me out... i really need help deciding...please!!! :(

I'm in the MCP accelerated program and am not to familiar with those programs you mentioned. All I can say is if you wait an extra year then do it. If you are super smart and can pass exams in your sleep then go the accelerated route. For example at MCP Boston you can take electives and other courses during the summer. This takes some pressure off during the regular school year. If you fail a class you may also be able to redo it in the summer. Whereas in the accelerated program you cannot makeup a class in the summer because you're taking assigned courses. This means if you fail a class you must wait a whole year to retake it. Find out what the schools policies are and go from there.

Any one else have any advice. I want to do industrial..so which school would be better and have more opportunities for me?! Thanks!

UACP doesn't have full status, thus nobody from the school has taken the naplex. I would go to shenandoah, I think they have really nice facilities, and the instructors seemed really nice.

I did not interview at Appalachia, so I cannot address their school. I did interivew (and was accepted) at Shenandoah. They have good facilities, are well thought of, and the atmosphere is very supportive. I know it is a hard decision and best of luck with it. The biggest drawback for Shenandoah is the expense, being as it is a private school. That is why I chose to go to my in-state pharmacy school. Otherwise I would have given Shenandoah serious consideration. FYI--I do know a pharmacist who completed a rotation with a Shenandoah student and he was very impressed with him and his preparation.

UACP is in the middle of nowhere, theres nothing to do in that town. I have a couple friends who go there and they say the profs are so-so for the most part.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. If anyone else has anything regarding these two schools.. please share!! thanks

Any one else have any advice. I want to do industrial..so which school would be better and have more opportunities for me?! Thanks!

I don't know anything specific about either school, but I think that if you are interested in industry, then going to the 4 year school might be a better option because it would give you several summers to pursue an internship, research, or other activities that would be more directly related to industry than some of the rotations you will be required to take as part of school.

grrr.... haha i still can't decide. Many say it doesn't matter...a pharmD is a PharmD either way you're fine.. also.. internships are not necessary..I mean I have a lot of experience.. I could go to a 3 yr and then do a fellowship. UACP will DEF be fully accredited w/in a year or so.. but I still can't make up my mind. Any other advice or thought guys?! Thanks sooo soo much!!! I really need your help. I appreciate your time. :)

grrr.... haha i still can't decide. Many say it doesn't matter...a pharmD is a PharmD either way you're fine.. also.. internships are not necessary..I mean I have a lot of experience.. I could go to a 3 yr and then do a fellowship. UACP will DEF be fully accredited w/in a year or so.. but I still can't make up my mind. Any other advice or thought guys?! Thanks sooo soo much!!! I really need your help. I appreciate your time. :)

considering the fact that I'm on the alternate list at UACP, you should give up your spot and go to Shenandoah, lol. I worked with a pharmacist that went to Shenandoah and he brags all the time about it. He is a cocky individual though, so I don't know the relativity of his comments, lol.