UAG and Fifth Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determined2bnmd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked this question in the Latin American Section and only got 1 response but 80 views. Maybe someone in this forum can give me more insight to this Fifth Pathway program. Thank you in advance

I wanted to know if there was anyone out there who can tell me about UAG and the fifth pathway program? I am a little confussed about the MD credentialing once you enter in the fifth pathway system. Is it that witih this honorary MD license you are only subjected to work in the United States? What if I wanted to work outside the States? Do you actually get an MD or are you just an "honorary MD"? Are there any alums or current students who can tell me a bit about their experience in the Fifth Pathway program that are on this website or forum

input will be greatful, thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

dawnjon said:
What is UAG? probably why U have not gotten a response please explain, and maybe people will respond.

Don't think so. "UAG" is well-known - at least to those who consider going abroad for their medical education.

UAG is the Universidad Aut?noma de Guadalajara, the school from which most 5th Pathway participants come.

You should search this site for posts on UAG and/or 5PW (try it all ways: 5th Pathway, Fifth Pathway, etc.), and you'll get a lot of info because this topic has been addressed frequently. Before that, go to NYMC's 5PW site (http://www.nymc.edu/depthome/fifth.asp ) and you'll get more "official" info. You can also go to the AMA's 5PW site: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/10255.html .

Here are the basics: 5PW was created by the AMA in the early 1970's for American citizens/permanent residents who go to medical school in a foreign country that requires 4 years of school + a year of internship + a year of social serivce before granting the MD degree. The program allows you to do the 4 years of school in the country and then return to the US to do a year of "supervised clinical training" (so you do 5 years instead of 6 total if you had stayed in the country to finish), and then enter residency in the US. One does not have to be ECFMG certified if one does 5PW (as other foreign grads have to be). Once you finish 5PW, you get a Certificate of Completion, not an honorary MD degree. While it's true that in doing 5PW you never actually get the degree from your school, that doesn't really matter because you can legally write MD, call yourself a doctor, and most importantly, enter a US residency program. UAG grants a "diploma" (not the same as a US diploma, but it's what they call it) of Physician Surgeon, it's not the "titulo," or MD degree. Most people stop there and don't pursue the actual degree. If you want to get the actual degree, there are a couple of options. The one I plan to follow is finishing 5PW and applying for licensure in NY and the Regents of the State of NY will give me an MD. That's a simplification, but it's basically right.

So --> after searching the SDN site and going to the NYMC and/or AMA sites, if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Diana
UAG 2003
5PW 2004
almost PGY-1 St Luke's Hospital, Bethlehem, PA in Ob/Gyn

P.S. This forum (Caribbean) is not the best place to get info on UAG, since UAG is in Mexico, not the Carib. You were closer in the Latin American forum, but not many peruse that one -- probably a better choice would have been the general discussion forum for foreign schools, or even the "everyone" forum. --Diana

Reactions: 1 user
:) ok now I know what UAG is I have heard about it Just was a little confused b/c of the abbreviation. I actually shadowed with a cardiologist who went to UAG, and he was amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for that information. I was just a little confussed about how the degree granting process worked. I do still have some questions to ask you personally if that is ok with regards to your experience in the 5th pathway program. Are you currently attending UAG or another international school?

I will finish 5PW in a few weeks and start my residency July 1 (in Ob/Gyn). I graduated from UAG in June 2003.

I sent u a private message with my questions included about the 5th pathway program and some of my concerns

I saw it -- I am having trouble replying because the banner ad at the top of the screen is overlapping the top of the message and I can't reply... I will as soon as I can.