UAMS Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jl6010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys out there have applied to UAMS? I have not heard anyone talk about the school. I am getting very nervous about the admission letters and misery loves company.:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a P1 there. The letters were sent out the third week of April last year. Who did you interview with? Anything specific you would like to know?

I do not remember the professor's name specifically but he teaches a course on infectious diseases. My PCAT score was a 76 and I have a degree with an overall GPA of in between 3.4 and 3.5. Kathy Orear told me that there were one hundred more applicants this year as opposed to last year. Since your are there, I was wondering what you think about my chances. How did your classmates do on their PCAT. I am kinda worried that the score was too low for me to get in. I only had time to take it once.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a P1 there. The letters were sent out the third week of April last year. Who did you interview with? Anything specific you would like to know?

Any chance of them taking an out of stater? Last year the web basically said "Don't even bother." This year it seems that they might consider if you have "strong ties to the state".

I do not remember the professor's name specifically but he teaches a course on infectious diseases. My PCAT score was a 76 and I have a degree with an overall GPA of in between 3.4 and 3.5. Kathy Orear told me that there were one hundred more applicants this year as opposed to last year. Since your are there, I was wondering what you think about my chances. How did your classmates do on their PCAT. I am kinda worried that the score was too low for me to get in. I only had time to take it once.

Dr. Gubbins, I suspect.
As for your PCAT, the average last year was a 79. I have heard most of my classmates say that their GPA got them in. The GPA average was a 3.54. Remember, these numbers are just the average. Some people are above, some are below.
You have a degree. That can only play to your advantage. Have you worked in a pharmacy before? Good letters of recommendation? Any ECs that would make you stand out?
Hope that you have an acceptance in hand soon!

Any chance of them taking an out of stater? Last year the web basically said "Don't even bother." This year it seems that they might consider if you have "strong ties to the state".

You are originally from Arkansas, aren't you? Do you still have family here?
I think that is the kind of proof that they would want, or maybe that you would be staying in Arkansas after finishing school. Kathy Orear would be the one to know this info for sure. Don't want you to waste the money applying to a school that will not accept you because of state residency issues.

I was wondering if any of you guys out there have applied to UAMS? I have not heard anyone talk about the school. I am getting very nervous about the admission letters and misery loves company.:oops:

I'm anxiously awaiting the letters as well. :scared:

Good luck to you!

You are originally from Arkansas, aren't you? Do you still have family here?
I think that is the kind of proof that they would want, or maybe that you would be staying in Arkansas after finishing school. Kathy Orear would be the one to know this info for sure. Don't want you to waste the money applying to a school that will not accept you because of state residency issues.

Yes/No, moved to AR at 3 months old. So my B cert is from NC. Went K-12 in AR plus freshman year at UALR before moving out of state. My bro is the last relative left in AR. Lives outside Fayetteville. I'd only apply if I don't get in this year. But I'd love to go. Didn't apply this year because last year's application cycle made them seem less likely and as you said, it wasn't worth wasting money on if they weren't going to take me.

Congrats Rxbound on getting in at UAMS! I will take the PCAT next summer and apply to UAMS next fall. I am doing my pre-reqs at UALR and will be almost finished by next summer. I was just wondering if not having a degree will hurt my chances of getting in. I currently have a 4.0 gpa but haven't taken Org chem I and II yet (will do this fall and next spring). I have noticed that in past years there have only been a little over 200 applicants to UAMS, and around 100 accepted. Those odds seem ok, but if this year there were 100 more applicants...I'm not feeling so sure about it. I have until fall 08 to jazz up my application..any advice? The only pharmacy experience that I have is shadowing a pharmacist for 1 day. I am taking so many hours at school (and will only get harder this fall with ochem) that I don't have a lot of extra time to work and still keep my gpa high. Did most of the people that you know have experience? I really don't have ec's besides taking 3 semesters of spanish and traveling to Guatemala to practice it. There is no chance I will be fluent by next fall though. Any advice you have about any of this will be appreciated.

Congrats Rxbound on getting in at UAMS! I will take the PCAT next summer and apply to UAMS next fall. I am doing my pre-reqs at UALR and will be almost finished by next summer. I was just wondering if not having a degree will hurt my chances of getting in. I currently have a 4.0 gpa but haven't taken Org chem I and II yet (will do this fall and next spring). I have noticed that in past years there have only been a little over 200 applicants to UAMS, and around 100 accepted. Those odds seem ok, but if this year there were 100 more applicants...I'm not feeling so sure about it. I have until fall 08 to jazz up my application..any advice? The only pharmacy experience that I have is shadowing a pharmacist for 1 day. I am taking so many hours at school (and will only get harder this fall with ochem) that I don't have a lot of extra time to work and still keep my gpa high. Did most of the people that you know have experience? I really don't have ec's besides taking 3 semesters of spanish and traveling to Guatemala to practice it. There is no chance I will be fluent by next fall though. Any advice you have about any of this will be appreciated.

A 4.0 is hard to ignore, but do you do other things besides studying (clubs, athletics, etc)? They appreciate well-rounded people.
I was actually surprised by the number of people who had never set foot in a pharmacy (not even shadowed a pharmacist). Seems odd to me to choose a career based on no experience with that career. I always tell people to get as much experience as possible, but that is just me.
Our class is made up of about 60% of people who have a degree. So, it can't hurt to complete a degree, but it is not required.
Good luck!

Those of you who are waiting for admissions letters from UAMS, would you mind sharing your GPA and PCAT scores. I kinda want to know where I stand compared to everyone else.

Those of you who are waiting for admissions letters from UAMS, would you mind sharing your GPA and PCAT scores. I kinda want to know where I stand compared to everyone else.

PCAT - 96%
GPA about a 3.75 ... I did a quick calculation, but it's difficult since I've attended multiple schools
B.S. in Chemistry
But, I had no pharmacy experience at the time of my application. My first day behind the counter was the day after my interview.

The applicants/students I see posting here seem to be the "cream of the crop." So I wouldn't doubt if the scores you see here will be inflated compared to the average scores of other applicants. Once again, good luck to you. :)

Well I've been trying not to think about the acceptance letters but I had to log on and I'm so glad to see an AR group! I know last year the letters went out towards the end of April, but I'm wondering if this year will take longer b/c of the extra 100 applicants, and they missed a week of interviews when it snowed.
My boyfriend is a P1 and he said they were still interviewing ppl last Friday (3/30).
Did anyone interview with Dr. Light? My friend did and he made her cry, I felt so bad for her. One of the pharmacists I work with said Dr. Light should do research and never talk to anyone b/c he's suck a jerk. I interviewed with Dr. Franks and she was really nice.
I wish the letters were mailed yesterday!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews on 3/31? Wow. I bet we will have to wait longer. I am starting to lose my confidence because everyone on here seems to have gotten a 99% on their PCAT. I had the opportunity to take it only once and didnt do as good as I wanted to. 76% is not that bad but I wish it would have been better. I didnt cry during my interview. Bless your friend's heart. I have heard that Harding is starting a pharmacy school so maybe some will go there if it gets up and running. I only applied at UAMS but may apply at Harding next year if I dont get in this year.

Did anyone interview with Dr. Light? My friend did and he made her cry, I felt so bad for her. One of the pharmacists I work with said Dr. Light should do research and never talk to anyone b/c he's suck a jerk.

Ouch, that's a shame. Like Ms. Orear explained: the interviews should be a positive experience for everyone. It's understandable to ask a few odd questions to see how you react. But, to be...well...just plain mean to someone who obviously has their hopes up is nothing short of cruel. I hope the adcom would be cautious about believing any harsh comments Dr. Light might have made about your friend. Thankfully, my interviewer was very courteous.

Hi,
Does UAMS average the grades of repeated courses? I got a F in orgo 1 and I am going to retake it (obviously) next semester..will the F be averaged with my new grade?
How bad do you think this will look? U of A offers grade forgiveness, but my school doesn't. I think it is unfair that a lot of U of A students will be applying and get their grades "forgiven" but I don't have that opportunity. I go to LSU, so I'm hoping that will make me more diverse. I am an Arkansas resident (for 20 years now!) so no worries there.

Hi,
I think it is unfair that a lot of U of A students will be applying and get their grades "forgiven" but I don't have that opportunity. QUOTE]
What do you mean "forgiven"?

Hi,
I think it is unfair that a lot of U of A students will be applying and get their grades "forgiven" but I don't have that opportunity. QUOTE]
What do you mean "forgiven"?

Sounds like grade replacement. When I was at UALR I took Intro to Visual Arts and got a D. I took it the next semester using grade replacement (they might call it something else) so that my transcript, while showing both grades(another D unfortunately), only calculates one in my GPA. It artificially inflates the GPA if you compare to how PharmCAS calculates it. In my case 3.09 at UALR, 2.85 on PharmCAS

FYI, the Adcom met this afternoon. 315 applicants. Wow.:luck:

FYI, the Adcom met this afternoon. 315 applicants. Wow.:luck:

Rxbound do you know how many spots are open for those 315 applicants?
Any theories about why the sudden increase this year?

Rxbound do you know how many spots are open for those 315 applicants?
Any theories about why the sudden increase this year?

I don't really know how many spots are open. My class had 120 spots, but they had to hold some for the people who didn't pass their first year and had to repeat.
A lot of people are amazed by the number of applicants this year, and there seems to be no explanation. Maybe the fact that pharmacists are in demand is driving the rush, but I really don't know...especially with another school opening up. Weird.

Does anyone know for sure if the people that fail this year will take spots out of the class for next year? So far I've heard that 11 people will be repeating next year. Pharmaceutics lab got a few ppl didn't it Rxbound! But I don't see why it would take spots out of the 2007 class b/c the ppl that fail just repeat the class they failed, not the entire first year classes, right? I could be totally wrong w/this, that's just what I've heard, but no one seems to know for sure.

Hopefully we'll all be at the top of the heap and we won't have to worry about getting the last few slots!

Does anyone know for sure if the people that fail this year will take spots out of the class for next year? So far I've heard that 11 people will be repeating next year. Pharmaceutics lab got a few ppl didn't it Rxbound! But I don't see why it would take spots out of the 2007 class b/c the ppl that fail just repeat the class they failed, not the entire first year classes, right? I could be totally wrong w/this, that's just what I've heard, but no one seems to know for sure.

Hopefully we'll all be at the top of the heap and we won't have to worry about getting the last few slots!

Pharmaceutics lab. Can't express how important it is to get a head start on learning the drugs. Tip for you guys: when Dr. Dunn passes out the sheets with drugs on them, start learning them then. His tests are HARD, but only if you don't know your stuff. The people that failed the lab failed the class, so they were not able to move onto Pharmaceutics II.
As for how many people who have to repeat a year because of grades, I don't really know. The rules of progression are tricky. Someone will explain them to you shortly after school starts.
Good luck.

Pharmaceutics lab. Can't express how important it is to get a head start on learning the drugs. Tip for you guys: when Dr. Dunn passes out the sheets with drugs on them, start learning them then. His tests are HARD, but only if you don't know your stuff. The people that failed the lab failed the class, so they were not able to move onto Pharmaceutics II.

Ouch...point taken, thanks.

I heard somewhere that what part of the state you live in also determines admissions. It adds to the diversity of the College. Do you think that is true?

I heard somewhere that what part of the state you live in also determines admissions. It adds to the diversity of the College. Do you think that is true?

Hmm, no clue. That would be painful to be rejected only because you grew up in the wrong county...

Most people do come from Pulaski county, but that is to be expected. There are fewer applicants from other counties (one or two applicants per county, sometimes).

Hey guys, this was posted on the UAMS website today: "Letters to applicants for Fall 2007 from the Admissions Committee will be mailed
April 24, 2007."

That's less than two weeks! I'm excited and nauseous at the same time! :barf:

Hey guys, this was posted on the UAMS website today: "Letters to applicants for Fall 2007 from the Admissions Committee will be mailed
April 24, 2007."

That's less than two weeks! I'm excited and nauseous at the same time! :barf:

Yay! It's not really setting into my mind how much life might change in the next couple of weeks. Well, maybe now it is...

Good luck to you! :luck:

"Letters to applicants for Fall 2007 from the Admissions Committee will be mailed
April 24, 2007."

Only four more days until they're mailed. Eeek!

I talked to Dr. Dunn today at the Heart Walk and he said they (ad com) met Friday and finished their list. He said they only pick around 105 people and that the administration has a few slots that they choose. But good news! He also told me that there were only around 280 eligible applicants b/c some people didn't get all of their stuff in on time. :) So better chances for us!
Also, I'm scared b/c he asked me my name and he said it didn't ring any bells, so now I'm super nervous~I wish I hadn't said anything to him now!

I hope we all get good news this week!!!

I talked to Dr. Dunn today at the Heart Walk and he said they (ad com) met Friday and finished their list. He said they only pick around 105 people and that the administration has a few slots that they choose. But good news! He also told me that there were only around 280 eligible applicants b/c some people didn't get all of their stuff in on time. :) So better chances for us!
Also, I'm scared b/c he asked me my name and he said it didn't ring any bells, so now I'm super nervous~I wish I hadn't said anything to him now!

I hope we all get good news this week!!!

So they're done. It's time then! :)

Only 280 now? I think they said 315 before, so 35 people missed the deadlines, ouch.

First thing that I thought of when you said your name didn't ring any bells to him; that's a good sign - they didn't have to deliberate.

I hope we all hear good news as well! :luck: :luck:

The time has come - the letters are mailed today!! Good luck to all of my fellow hopefuls! :hardy:

I can't wait! Tomorrow is going to go by so slowly...I live in central AR so I hope it comes tomorrow, if not I might go crazy. My friend told me today she wished I hadn't told her when the letters were going to be mailed b/c now her nerves are shot, and now I kind of feel the same way~I wish I hadn't stalked the uams website like I did!!

I hope we all get in, good luck everyone!!

Is anyone else overanalyzing/feeling like "crap, I may not get in?" :scared: Good luck to everyone, may we ALL get great news in the next day or so.

Is anyone else overanalyzing/feeling like "crap, I may not get in?" :scared: Good luck to everyone, may we ALL get great news in the next day or so.

Oh yah. I'm trying soooo hard not to think about it too much. I just get into a negative spiral if I do. Just smack yourself out of those thoughts for a few more days. Heh, good luck! :thumbup:

Good Luck to everyone! I hope you all hear good news.

I got in!!! Good luck everybody!

P.S. If you open your envelope and it has a yellow/orange piece of paper in it, you'll know you got in-it's the slip you send in with your deposit!

P.S. If you open your envelope and it has a yellow/orange piece of paper in it, you'll know you got in-it's the slip you send in with your deposit!

CONGRATS DEEZEE,

Anyone else get letters today? My mailbox was lacking in Fayetteville :(

Congrats! If you haven't already posted in the "Roll Call" thread, please do so. UAMS is lonely with no names under it...:thumbup:

Got my letter today....that said in short: "Keep on waiting" I'm on the alternate list, and according to Ms. Orear, there is no ranking system as of yet until spring grades are received. Then middle of June they will send out second acceptances. Also, only 34 persons received this same alternate list letter.
I dunno, if i should feel relieved to at least be waitlisted or even more stressed out to wait longer. :confused:

Got mine, can't believe I got in... Still stunned...but ready for august^^ Congrats to everyone else who made it ,and Good luck to those who haven't recieved their letters.

can y'all post your stats if you don't mind? I'd really like to know if that avg. gpa moved up a lot this year since there were more applicants..thanks!! congrats as well! and tooth paste: hopefully it'll work out!!

Congrats to those of you who've been admitted!

Sorry I didn't post earlier, hopped on a road trip as I received my letter.
I'm in!!!

can y'all post your stats if you don't mind? I'd really like to know if that avg. gpa moved up a lot this year since there were more applicants..thanks!! congrats as well! and tooth paste: hopefully it'll work out!!

Mine should be higher up on this page.