UB Sim Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moosefox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I am a pre-dental student looking into some dental schools. I have read some things about University at Buffalo that sound a little odd. Do they really not have a sim lab? If anyone is a student there, how do you feel this has affected you clinically, if this is even true?

Thank you very much for your time :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sim lab is a big waste of money. Schools do love to splurge money on high tech though, in exchange for research funding, kickbacks or simply bragging rights. We invented our own system where you get to work on your manikin typodont on a real operatory.

You will not be missing out on anything if UB doesn't have a simlab. Myself and countless other grads from there have done fine and learned great operative dentistry despite not even knowing what a simlab is. Based on what I read on SDN, it seems like there might have been a few "sim" operatories that we did 2 afternoon rotations in but it was more a waste of time than a true educational experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
sim lab <<<<< progressive school, implants, your own chair in clin, cheap tuition (relative to other schools) i can go on and on. sim labs are eye candy for interviewees and donors.

Thank you for your responses! I am excited about the school and I feel that, as with anything, you get out of your experience what you put in. Though a high-tech lab is nice, I do know that it's not the only component of a good school, and it sounds like UB still produces qualified graduates. I just wanted to get my facts straight and hear it from the students. Your responses have given me confidence in my choice to apply there :D