UBC Pharmacy Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babuamus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is just me, or is the tuition for next year ridiculous?

i am only taking 31 credits next year and i owe UBC close to $6500!!!!
what if I am a fresh 1st year taking close to 40 credits?

and for our American friends. Yes, our tuition is still considerably cheaper.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell me about it. I'm taking 34 credits and owe over $7500. :( I'm glad I have some exemptions or it would have cost me closer to $9000 :eek: . Also, ssc used to say tuition was due in September and January and now it's been changed to October and February. Is this the same for others and why would they change it?

there must be some sort of publication addressing the tuition hike...
there are so many UBCers here there got to be someone who knows...

where is ryan?? hahaha he knows everything

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol Babuamus, I wish. My only guess is that they are charging per credit hour. Generally as a undergrad you are taking only a max of 30credits/year (some exemptions), however due to the curriculum we are taking anywhere from 31-42 credits/year. If they charge a sum of $150+/credit hour, it would quickly spiral from 5k in tuition to upwards of 9k. Another possibility (although unlikely) is that they are able to charge a different rate for credit hours in the Pharmacy curriculum since it is a professional school. Bottom line is be prepared to pay for lots of things you never had to before.

RyanMaverick said:
Lol Babuamus, I wish. My only guess is that they are charging per credit hour. Generally as a undergrad you are taking only a max of 30credits/year (some exemptions), however due to the curriculum we are taking anywhere from 31-42 credits/year. If they charge a sum of $150+/credit hour, it would quickly spiral from 5k in tuition to upwards of 9k. Another possibility (although unlikely) is that they are able to charge a different rate for credit hours in the Pharmacy curriculum since it is a professional school. Bottom line is be prepared to pay for lots of things you never had to before.

they do charge per credit hr. if i remember correctly, its around $205 per credit hr for pharmacy, one of the highest among all faculties. i owe about $8000 in tuition and add to that $10000 in books and living expenses :(

Thank god for student lines of credit! :D The banks are pretty generous with professional students like us.

Which student lines of credit do you use? I dont have one yet and am looking to get one soon.

I got mine from the Scotiabank. It was incredibly easy compared to the other banks I met with. I had a hard time finding someone who knew what they were talking about. If you want, I can refer you to the same person who did mine. He works with tons of professional students.

wow so many UBCers here!!!!!!!
anyone chose STT E?

and on a side note, how much is the interest of line of credit?

I'm in STT A. Anyone else? I wanted C but it was full :( . The interest on mine is prime + 0.25% per annum (right now prime is 6%). As long as you have good credit you should be able to get this interest rate. :)

thats pretty good, whose the guy that u worked with?
I'm in STT D, ya STT C was really popular!

yea i coudln't believe the tuition when i first saw it too...
i'm in stt f... last come last serve *sigh*

Sigh... pharmacy is like ~$200/credit as opposed to ~$150 in science.

lol I didn't realize this until now, but I saved a couple of hundred dollars by taking chem and micb this summer and paying science tuition rate :)

Members don't see this ad :)
AvaP said:
thats pretty good, whose the guy that u worked with?
I'm in STT D, ya STT C was really popular!

im in D as well. nice to know there are others

Ninjagirl - I'm in STT A too
For some reason I owe ~ 8450 for 2 terms :mad: ! That's ridiculous! None of you are paying that much are you? I've got 38 credits though.

Well at least one other person is in stt A :). I bet the dental students would really laugh at us complaining about our tuition :laugh:.

Sigh, I actually got into STT C, but none of you guys are in it! Thats dissapointing.

hahaah RyanMaverick you just kept hitting the refresh button until you got in didn't you?

I forgot the reg date until ~ 12 o'clock, so I got the short end of the stick.. but at the end I don't think it matters at all because we all have our electives/non-pharm courses to take.

Nah, but I did have a 7am registration time so I had a jump on the rest of you guys, I may have refreshed once or twice :rolleyes: .... but in my defense I had just gotten off a night shift (6pm -> 6am) and just wanted to get it over with and get some sleep.

Yeesh, you guys sure are complaining. UofT's tuition is nearing $11000/yr, and you pay the same amount regardless of having exemptions. Then again, we are getting brand new facilities this year.

What's rent like for you guys in Vancouver? I'm 10 mins away from our faculty building and splitting a two bedroom apartment, my share being $712.50/month (utilities etc. included).

Its funny, because if you take a course over the summer to get an exemption (to make things a little easier), they charge you the pharmacy rate, so we just take courses on Letters of Permission :)

You guys (and gals mostly) might want to take a look into taking courses on LoPs in the summers, and even during the year if they let you. Lots of schools in Canada have distance ed programs you could take part in.

I've never lived down in Vancouver, but I'm helping my GF through the apartment hunting process so I have a vague idea of rental prices. A two-bedroom w/ utilities would be similar to yours (depending on the quality). You can get the lower ones for probably 500each, and the better ones will be around 700-800 each. A one-bedroom will run you anywhere from 600-800/mo + utilities. I'd say the markets are very comparable.

I've never heard of a "Letter of Permission". How does it work, and what are the benefits of it towards paying less tuition?

Essentially, most schools don't take too kindly to attending two different universities at the same time. I think they might even kick you out if you try to, or at the least, deny you transfer credit.

So, you attend one school, and get that school to give you a "Letter of Permission" to take a course at the other school. Unfortunately, they'll usually charge a small sum of money for this (mine charged $25 per letter). By doing so, you'll pay the other school's tuition, and they don't discriminate based on what program/school you're coming from, but the school I took the course at on a LoP charged me an LoP fee of $75.

I'm not sure if your school would give you a LoP to take a course during the school year, but they likely would over the summer (but I make no guarantees).

So, benefits:
1. Lower cost (if they let you)
2. Spread out your academic term over the summer (easier load)
3. (Potentially) easier courses

University of Western Ontario, University of Waterloo and Athabasca Open University are 3 that I know of that have rather extensive distance study offerings, and extensive testing centre availability.

Hmmm...interesting. Don't think it'd work in my small town however. Thanks someguy.

You'd be surprised how lax some of the requirements are to proctor an exam. Does your "small town" have any active/retired teachers above the pre-school level? A religious official? A chartered accountant? A law enforcement officer? If so, you can get a proctor in your town for an exam through UWaterloo.

Wow, it's so great to see other students from UBC! I have STT C, got up nice and early (7am)~

I'm still thinking about my electives...

//Katherine

i'm in STT E, been lurking awhile here. looking forward to seeing all of you guys and girls in sept!

Nice Katherinex, finally somebody from here in my STT. I must have seen you during interviews, I showed up around 3.05/3.10 I think. Short brown hair, glasses, clean shaven. I see you added me to MSN so I'll send you a pic through there. Nice to see another SDN accepted, congrats thetruth.