UBC's MCAT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with UBC's admission information they have on thier website. They claim that the average matriculating sudent has a 37 and the average applicant has a 35. What's the deal? These number aren't correct.

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious about that too. Why don't you contact them to find out if there was an error?

Many, many pre-optometry students have analyzed these stats, and everyone comes to the same conclusion...these stats are bull****. Many people have run the numbers and compared it to the number of people actually getting 37s on the MCAT. For everyone accept with an MCAT of 32, there would have to be someone accepted with a 42 for this to average out. Someone on SDN said that about 12 people per MCAT get a 42. Only 1 tenth of test takers are canadian....so there are only 1 or 2 of us Canadians getting 42's on the MCAT. Anyhow, this number game has been played out on SDN before. Do a search for it, you should be able to find it.

Either way, don't let these numbers intimidate you. No one else believes them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for clearing that up UvicGuy. I was a little worried about those numbers. Who knows where they got them from. Good luck. I'll see you in UBC Med in 2005.

Cheers,

Potato!

Considering that you need a 30 to be interviewed at McGill, it would seem out of this world for UBC to have higher standards (than McGill).

McGillGrad said:
Considering that you need a 30 to be interviewed at McGill, it would seem out of this world for UBC to have higher standards (than McGill).

McGillGRAD ... knock it off.

1. McGill is not the University it use to be... face it accept.. deal with it!
2. UBC is the only medical school in BC and thus will have more competition. 3. In Quebec student enter after CEGEP so most don't need MCAT or to apply after Bachelors (mostly McGill students and concordia and Ontario apply to McGill.. maybe also rest of Canada.. those are the only ones needing MCAT).

If you have great disagreement with these... why don't you call UBC and McGill and ask them for the differences. Also tell them your opinion.. and see what they have to say.

Hey for all you BC applicants.. (like myself)

I was pondering the decision of applying to UBC.
My MCATs are not as high and their requirements..
My GPA is not as high as their requirements.

However I do have 2 graduate degrees... I tried to ask but I did not get straight answer. Just that I would be evaluated based on my undergrad marks first and then if I get an interview they will take grad work into consideration.

Did anyone with in the same position have more info on Grad applicants.

thanks
BA

docbill said:
McGillGRAD ... knock it off.

1. McGill is not the University it use to be... face it accept.. deal with it!
2. UBC is the only medical school in BC and thus will have more competition. 3. In Quebec student enter after CEGEP so most don't need MCAT or to apply after Bachelors (mostly McGill students and concordia and Ontario apply to McGill.. maybe also rest of Canada.. those are the only ones needing MCAT).

If you have great disagreement with these... why don't you call UBC and McGill and ask them for the differences. Also tell them your opinion.. and see what they have to say.

You seem to be quite offended by seemingly nothing. Being so defensive will make you look emotional and impulsive. My heart felt advice would be to control that during your interviews.

1). It is fact that UBC med cannot compare to McGill med. Undergrad McGill may leave you wanting but the medical school will open more doors in Canada and the world than UBC.

2). Secondly, get your information right before pretending to know what you are talking about. You do need the MCAT to apply. Only about 10-15 students per year enter directly from CEGEP and that means that the rest of the 120 students need the MCAT.

You might want to know the facts before you try to pass them on. I know that you have your heart set on UBC (and have no chance at McGill due to the fact that you are out of province), but that is no reason to throw a hissy-fit out of defensive spite.

docbill said:
However I do have 2 graduate degrees... I tried to ask but I did not get straight answer. Just that I would be evaluated based on my undergrad marks first and then if I get an interview they will take grad work into consideration.

Did anyone with in the same position have more info on Grad applicants.

When I was completing my first grad degree, I took some time to speak to a few admissions officers at several med schools and the consensus was that due to Canadian medical schools' competitive nature, our graduate degrees are merely a small blip on the admissions radar.

If you do not have the undergrad grades and the MCAT scores then you might as well skip the grad school and spend the time in Ireland.

YOu are a smart alex.. aint you.

yes.. yes.. I will go and find the facts... btw... what are the percentage of Quebecers applying to McGill. Ohhh oh... btw .. I have Quebec residency.. (as well as BC since I did high there)... and oh by the way.. I was living in Quebec for 5 years.

Thanks for your heart fealt advice. It is not needed. I was talking about all quebec applicants.. not just pompous McGill Grads.

I am in province.. and my first choice is not UBC... infact.. in Canada it is Toronto... you fimiliar with that school. I believe McGill Grads have heard of it.. and and.. btw.. I believe toronto is better.. and and.. btw.. I am also Ontario Resident.. since I have been here for 4 years.. oh..oh... go open doors around the world.. Most of us just want to see our future patient getting better.

Ireland is great place.. it will not open the door to the world.. but the surely have great pubs and good medical schools.

Now I must find something more useful to do with my time..
tata.

docbill said:
what are the percentage of Quebecers applying to McGill.

The overwhelming majority that apply to McGill are from Quebec. Only 10-15 spots are reserved for Internationals. Because of the low number of spots for out of province students (5-8), not many even bother to apply once they find out.

Ohhh oh... btw .. I have Quebec residency.. (as well as BC since I did high
there)... and oh by the way.. I was living in Quebec for 5 years.

Excellent, then you can also apply to University de Montreal. You can take all of your exams in English.

Thanks for your heart fealt advice.

You are very welcome.

I am in province.. and my first choice is not UBC... infact.. in Canada it is Toronto... you fimiliar with that school.

I would rather spend med school in BC than in TO, but then again I avoid TO at all costs.

I am also Ontario Resident.. since I have been here for 4 years.. oh..oh... go open doors around the world..

That is great to hear. You should have a good chance at Ottawa, too. Hopefully you will get in somewhere. But remember to watch the temper.

Most of us just want to see our future patient getting better.

That is true. That is why I do not care whether I practice medicine in Canada, America or Europe. It is about helping people get better.