UC Berkeley Extension - Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulalaroc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder anyone can give me some ideas about this online class with this professor in UC Berkeley Extension?

Genetics MCELLBI X143 - Dr. John Placyk

I have never take any online biology class...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I was wondering if you took this course? I think I am going to as well and would like to know what I am getting myself into. The instructor will be Dr. John Placyk as well.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
There are MAJOR MAJOR problems with this class. How do I know? I used to teach it. I had taught at UCBX since 2009, and was fired because I encouraged students to complain to the administration about the many unfair elements of this course. I can't believe they are still enrolling students knowing the magnitude of the issues with the course. STAY AWAY!

I am currently anticipating the final for this class... I know my post is a bit late, but I find that the course material is ENTIRELY self-taught. You are given only a few powerpoints that very briefly review the chapters of the book, but most of the knowledge is learned via the book or online via google. I am seriously concerned about the final as I contacted Prof Placyk and he told me that there was "no study guide or other materials available because UCBX didn't authorize other students to have it, so he cannot provide it." Also-- to pass the class, you need a 70% on the final or higher... and with so little guidance throughout the course, this is now a genuine concern of mine. I have NO IDEA what depth of info will be on this exam, and there is no one else to ask!

I am currently anticipating the final for this class... I know my post is a bit late, but I find that the course material is ENTIRELY self-taught. You are given only a few powerpoints that very briefly review the chapters of the book, but most of the knowledge is learned via the book or online via google. I am seriously concerned about the final as I contacted Prof Placyk and he told me that there was "no study guide or other materials available because UCBX didn't authorize other students to have it, so he cannot provide it." Also-- to pass the class, you need a 70% on the final or higher... and with so little guidance throughout the course, this is now a genuine concern of mine. I have NO IDEA what depth of info will be on this exam, and there is no one else to ask!

Hi, I'm also preparing to take the genetics final. I finally got through all the time consuming assigments/quizzes. I am beyond nervous as I've read nothing but bad reviews :( BUT I do have to take it soon I need to find out whether or not I can pull off that 70%!! If I take the final before you I'll post on my experience please let me know how it goes for you too[/QUOTE]

Hi, I'm also preparing to take the genetics final. I finally got through all the time consuming assigments/quizzes. I am beyond nervous as I've read nothing but bad reviews :( BUT I do have to take it soon I need to find out whether or not I can pull off that 70%!! If I take the final before you I'll post on my experience please let me know how it goes for you too
[/QUOTE]

I took my final on Thursday, I had the worst experience of my academic life. Ran out of time, and didn't get to the last few problems which were worth more than the stupid multiple choice I must have spent too long on.. automatically handicapped myself with the 15+points I knew I didn't answer. I just found out my score too: just literally above 70%. Grateful to not have magically turned an A into an F, but this whole process seriously makes me doubt the quality of instruction/administration and absolutely concern for the student's experience. That education portal alone isn't worth even $100 of the 850 we paid.. I'd rather have taken a trip to Europe.

Wow, so glad to know you completely class successfully at least!!! I'm in the exact same boat, idk how it's even fair to invest so much time to all those long, tedious assignments, acheive an A all semester, then be blindsighted by the final. I have an acceptance to PA School riding on this class and feel their technics to be so unfair. .. and yes so much can be done w/ $850, but I really wish I would have spent just a little more to take genetics elsewhere... thanks so for responding to post! !! I'll let you how it goes, I'm gonna study hard for a week or so first... literally only advise I've is do ALL study problems. Got work cut out for me!

Best of luck to you in all your endeavours!

Wow, so glad to know you completely class successfully at least!!! I'm in the exact same boat, idk how it's even fair to invest so much time to all those long, tedious assignments, acheive an A all semester, then be blindsighted by the final. I have an acceptance to PA School riding on this class and feel their technics to be so unfair. .. and yes so much can be done w/ $850, but I really wish I would have spent just a little more to take genetics elsewhere... thanks so for responding to post! !! I'll let you how it goes, I'm gonna study hard for a week or so first... literally only advise I've is do ALL study problems. Got work cut out for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

And to you! Good luck, it sounds like you'll be fine. Just do lots of problems, and know how to do them!

Reactions: 1 user
And to you! Good luck, it sounds like you'll be fine. Just do lots of problems, and know how to do them!

Wow there's so much material and so many study problems to cover! I take my test end of this week and cannot wait it's been so stressful. Was wondering if you would be willing to offer any specific advise on studying for this final?! Anything would really help. Also, did you feel the module assigments, worksheets, and quizzes prepared you for the final or would you suggest me sticking to study questions? I feel horrible asking seeing as you received no insight whatsoever , but I'm really struggling and thought it was worth a shot to at least ask!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I don't know how best you can prepare to be honest. Like I said, do lots of problems, review everything you turned in before: quiz/worksheets/in-depth questions. This class definitely requires a week to prepare for the final-- but like most people taking the online class... we don't have that much time to dedicate for one class like this :/ Good luck.

I appreciate your feedback :) helped more than you know! !! I'll be taking final Thursday. I'll do a follow-up post after, hopefully with good news!! Lol

Last edited:
I don't know how best you can prepare to be honest. Like I said, do lots of problems, review everything you turned in before: quiz/worksheets/in-depth questions. This class definitely requires a week to prepare for the final-- but like most people taking the online class... we don't have that much time to dedicate for one class like this :/ Good luck.
Hello,
Would you say that reviewing the In-Depth Qs, worksheets, and quizzes was adequate for the final, or was it necessary to review outside of that material? I'm also taking this class and so far, my grade is good but the class itself is an absolute mess.
Thanks!

Wow there's so much material and so many study problems to cover! I take my test end of this week and cannot wait it's been so stressful. Was wondering if you would be willing to offer any specific advise on studying for this final?! Anything would really help. Also, did you feel the module assigments, worksheets, and quizzes prepared you for the final or would you suggest me sticking to study questions? I feel horrible asking seeing as you received no insight whatsoever , but I'm really struggling and thought it was worth a shot to at least ask!

Thanks in advance!
I know this is a long time ago but how was your exam? I'm going to take the exam soon and I'm just sooooo nervous about it!

I took my final on Thursday, I had the worst experience of my academic life. Ran out of time, and didn't get to the last few problems which were worth more than the stupid multiple choice I must have spent too long on.. automatically handicapped myself with the 15+points I knew I didn't answer. I just found out my score too: just literally above 70%. Grateful to not have magically turned an A into an F, but this whole process seriously makes me doubt the quality of instruction/administration and absolutely concern for the student's experience. That education portal alone isn't worth even $100 of the 850 we paid.. I'd rather have taken a trip to Europe.[/QUOTE]

Could you briefly describe the format of the exam?

Could you briefly describe the format of the exam?

I am considering taking this course. How was the final--how was the course? How was the responsiveness of the teacher? Is an A even possible? I would like to take this course as test/quiz dates are flexible; however, with all these reviews it looks horrible. Perhaps it has gotten better since these reviews were written? I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks!

I appreciate your feedback :) helped more than you know! !! I'll be taking final Thursday. I'll do a follow-up post after, hopefully with good news!! Lol
How did you like the class? I am still considering it, but I'm kind of wary because of the other posts. I'd love to hear feedback. Also, who was your professor?

Hello.

I'm currently taking the UC Berkeley Extension Genetics course (MCELLBIX143-044) under Professor Placyk. I'll be getting ready to take my final soon...and I'm frankly a bit lost.

As you guys know, genetics is a very large subject and I'm frankly feeling a bit overwhelmed, especially since you have to get above 70% on the final to get a salvageable grade.

To those who have taken the class, I have a few questions:

-How is the final in terms of difficulty?

-What are some helpful study materials (official and unofficial) that can help with getting a good grade on the final?

-Is there a way to abridge the textbook in order to pinpoint what is needed to do well on the final? It's very wordy as a textbook and the online notes are very minimal (as he mentioned).

Thanks!