UC Berkeley interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dloi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
FOr those who have interviewed with berkeley before, what should i expect in terms of questions asked and how i should prepare? its my first opt interview!
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Dloi:

Here is what you should expect from the entire day.

Last year, all the interviewees (about 80) were separated into 3 groups (A, B, C). The morning starts early around 7:30 ? 8 a.m. for registration. After getting into the clinic, we received a folder which outlines which group we were in, financial aid information, name tag, Berkeley information, and pieces of paper with a pencil. Then, our pictures were taken to be placed into our portfolios.

Continental breakfast in the student lounge was afterwards. You can sit around and talk to the other students. Dr. Ledesma and optometry students were always present so you can talk to them as well.

A short orientation with video is then shown in the lecture hall. We were then introduced to several faculty members, first and second year class presidents, etc.

The three groups were rotated between different schedules. This includes a writing assignment, optometry school tour with student panel, a break, and the interview. All were scheduled for 30 minutes.

The writing assignment last year was that you had to pick one from three different topics. The three topics we had were (1) Write a letter to a friend about what you did the last summer vacation (2) Name an inventor you would like to meet and why (3) What was the last book you read? Would you recommend it to a friend?

Interview was done with a faculty member and an optometry student. It is open-filed so I was asked about my grades and application essay. You should read over the other questions that students were asked at other interviews. All the schools are basically asking the same things ? why optometry? Why our school? Where do you see yourself in the future?

My interview was a bit unusual by the fact that I ended up talking to the doctor and student for over an hour. It was very relaxed ? the doctor ended up given me suggestions about what to write my OD thesis about, and the student was very nice (we still talk when we run into each other at school).

Lunch was at 12:00 p.m. and served at Haas School of Business.

A campus tour of Berkeley was optional after lunch.

This is what happened last year so I?m not sure if they are changing some procedures or the entire day.

First and second year students will always be around for you to chat with and to alleviate any stress you may have. It won?t be hard to spot the optometry students ? we?ll be the only ones not wearing a black suit. ;) I?ll be there bright and early to help with registration so please introduce yourself!

Best wishes,

Rosanna