1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UC Davis English Req

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by slurpee711, Dec 11, 2008.

1. slurpee711

Pre-Veterinary
    Just wondering if anyone is on a semester system and knows how many classes fulfill the 8 semester credit english requirement for UCdavis. I'm at UMaryland and each english class offered here is 3 credits, as is most semester credit hours. It just seems weird to me that they would say 8 credits, instead of increments of 3. The only courses offered that are 4 credits are science classes with a lab. Does anyone know if the 8 credits translates to 2 semesters of english? or 3? or am I going to have to take 9 credits of english?

(if that makes any sense..)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jochebed

Jochebed Ye Must Be Born Again
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Your best bet is going to be to call and ask them. That would certainly be easiest. Though someone here may actually know, there's no harm in just asking directly. :)

4. elefante7

elefante7 UW Madison SVM c/o 2013!
    10+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I called them a while back to ask that same question. I have 7 credits of English and I wanted to see if that would be ok. The guy on the phone said he thought it would but he obviously wasn't really sure... I didn't end up applying there so I never followed up on it. I hope you get a clearer answer than I did.

5. slurpee711

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah, I just called them, but the lady sounded really unsure about the whole semester credit system. I think I'll just take an extra english class just to be safe. Thanks for the info!

6. VAgirl

VAgirl UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I feel like when I applied, there was some conversion that we used. Maybe that conversion calculation was in VMCAS? I'm not sure, but I know I got it from somewhere that seemed very reliable to me. Here's a conversion table I found just through google. No idea if UC Davis follows this table, but it could give you a rough idea. I think there really is supposed to be a standard quarter hours to semester hours conversion.

http://www.auburn.edu/semesters/conversion.html

7. KittyRex

KittyRex UC Davis SVM c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    This is from the UC Davis FAQ page:

6. I took courses on the semester system and UC Davis is on the quarter system. How do I know I have completed the correct number of units?
    To convert semester units to quarter units, multiply the number of semester units by 1.5. The converted units may not exactly match the number of quarter units listed for the required science courses; therefore, always review articulation agreements on the ASSIST Web site at http://www.assist.org to be sure that you are taking equivalent courses.

by this calculation, 6 semester units should be more than enough (1.5)(6)=9​

8. chris03333

chris03333 Veterinarian
    7+ Year Member

3 semester credits is equal to 4 quarter..