UC Davis midlevels over students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I talked to a guy in the military that said he went to NP school instead of PA school because he didn't want to deal with the board of medicine. The board of nursing is "much less likely to get you in trouble for making a mistake" in his words.
Sadly he is correct. The state medical boards are capricious, arbitrary and vicious. Ask any physician who has "depression".

Sadly he is correct. The state medical boards are capricious, arbitrary and vicious. Ask any physician who has "depression".
Ok so because physicians have depression the medical boards are capricious, arbitrary and vicious?

:troll:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN! Graduating MS4 at UCD here! Wow, SDN can be a dark place (lol). An admitted student recently asked some of the current students about this thread and the conversation filtered it's way up to our MS4 facebook group. To shed some light on this topic, I thought it would jump on here and reply.

First. Never. On any rotation. For any moment, have I had an issue with a PA or NP student detracting from my clinical responsibilities. Further, in talking to my classmates, none of them have had this happen either or could even imagine a situation where this would occur. When you get to medical school you will realize that the scope of practice and practice environments of NP's/PA's is just really different from MD's/DO's. We seldom overlap and they are not taking our rotations. This is a nonissue.

Second. With respect to the distance you may have to travel for a particular rotation. Yes, this does happen for every student about once a year. At the present time, MS3 at UCD consists of Internal Medicine (8 weeks), OBGYN (8 weeks) Pediatrics (8 weeks), Psychiatry (8 weeks), Surgery (8 weeks), Family Medicine (4 weeks), and Elective (4 weeks). For me, all but ONE of these rotations was either AT UC Davis or within a 10 minute drive. The one exception was my 4 week family medicine rotation in cameron park, which is a 40 minute drive from my hours in tahoe park. On family med you work 5 days/week, approximately 8-5PM. Subtracting out the three holidays and other classes that occurred on that rotation which meant i didn't have to drive out there that day, I think I drove to cameron park a totaly of 14 times, and most mornings I left at 7AM. 14 TIMES THROUGHOUT ALL OF MEDICAL SCHOOL. Leaving at 7AM! Medicine is a long journey and full of challenges, but driving to cameron park at 7AM for a chill day in family med clinic was NOT one of them.

Third. There are students on surgery who will rotate at San Joaquin General (~45 minutes), on OBGYN who will rotate at sites near tahoe (housing provided), among a few others. Most students have at most half of one ONE rotation (i.e. 4 weeks) where they are expected to drive. If it is > 1hr, housing is provided. Probably more important though is noting that rural sites often provide AMAZING clinical experiences. A buddy of mine rotated at a rural OBGYN site and basically did 99% of a c-section while the attending walked him through it. That would never happen at a giant academic medical center with hungry residents/fellows. In addition to being amazing learning opportunities, this rural experiences are in line with a central mission of UC Davis, to expand and improve access to medical care for underserved populations in California. These are opportunities to learn about, connect with, and provide medical care for persons who might otherwise be without it. If you are not down for this, UCD might not be the place for you.

Fourth. Concerning competition for rotation spots. There are now 2ish medical schools in Sacramento. California Northstate University is the other and they rotate at Sutter and some other area hospitals. UC Davis used to dominate some of these sites, and not rotating there has required adjustment. However, under no circumstances was my education compromised or my career potential affected by this change. There is and is coming a physician shortage in america. We need to train all the physicians we can. Just because Davis can through it's UC weight around does not make it okay for us to bully other medical schools into non-accredidation. Many of the CNU students are our friends and co-residents. There is a lot of need for medical care in sacramento, and there is more than enough room for another 100 medical students in a county with a population of 1.5 million.

Finally. I could go on for a long time talking about all the things I love about UC Davis, but what i love most is that I have almost always been listened to and treated with respect. This seems like a small thing, but in the hierarchical and long journey of medicine, it makes all the difference. Having rotated at three different institutions in the past year for away rotations, I know that this is not the case everywhere
10 years ago I became the first person in my family to pursue a career in medicine. Through community college, post-bacc programs, and a thousand other failures along the way, I eventually was accepted to medical school. Next month I start residency at a top 10 orthopedic surgery program. Through taking a chance on me and offering a spot, UC Davis made that happen. UC Davis is an amazing place to go to medical school and medicine is an amazing profession. I'm sure some of my other classmates will comment on this thread as well (which either says a lot about how bored we are in quarantine or how much we love UCD), so feel free to message us and we will try to respond. Congrats on those of you who received an acceptance. This is an amazing place and we will be lucky to have you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
There is and is coming a physician shortage in america. We need to train all the physicians we can.

That was a great post but this part just killed it for me brah. I'll still take your word on the details but your big-picture skills I'll have to forever question.

Reactions: 4 users
That was a great post but this part just killed it for me brah. I'll still take your word on the details but your big-picture skills I'll have to forever question.

Same. For profit schools should not exist, that includes on-shore and off-shore.

Fair enough. Agree with you that the for profit part is unsavory. I think the point I was really trying to make is that students who attend CNU go there because that was the place they got in. I hit the jackpot and got into UC Davis, and for that will be forever grateful. But to then wield that privileged to bully students who were just as deserving but not as lucky? That would be foolish.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all, I am also a current MS4 graduating from UCDSOM this spring. I would like to echo the sentiments of my wonderful classmate above. Overall, I have felt extremely supported and feel I received an excellent education here. I also matched to my top choice for residency. No institution is without flaws or should be idealized, but I am grateful and proud to be graduating from this institution. The best part has been the incredible people here, who have made me a better doctor and a better person.

On the topic of NP/PA students, being on a multidisciplinary campus has been an asset to my medical education. Outside of rotations, I've had some non-clinical coursework, as well as extracurricular and volunteer experiences with NP and PA students, as well as becoming friends by being on the same campus. Learning their perspective has better prepared me for joining interdisciplinary teams in my future career. Furthermore, I only once had a PA student on the same rotation as me (CT surgery). It barely affected me (besides getting the opportunity to get to know her!).

On the topic of commuting to rotations, I agree with everything said above by my classmate in terms of rural sites. I actually tried to get a spot at a popular rural site 4 hours away (with housing) but it was in too high of demand! I only had a long commute for 1 month-long rotation, in Family medicine, about 45 min each way. It was an excellent site where I learned a lot and I really enjoyed getting to experience something new.

Hi all, I am also a current MS4 graduating from UCDSOM this spring. I would like to echo the sentiments of my wonderful classmate above. Overall, I have felt extremely supported and feel I received an excellent education here. I also matched to my top choice for residency. No institution is without flaws or should be idealized, but I am grateful and proud to be graduating from this institution. The best part has been the incredible people here, who have made me a better doctor and a better person.

On the topic of NP/PA students, being on a multidisciplinary campus has been an asset to my medical education. Outside of rotations, I've had some non-clinical coursework, as well as extracurricular and volunteer experiences with NP and PA students, as well as becoming friends by being on the same campus. Learning their perspective has better prepared me for joining interdisciplinary teams in my future career. Furthermore, I only once had a PA student on the same rotation as me (CT surgery). It barely affected me (besides getting the opportunity to get to know her!).

On the topic of commuting to rotations, I agree with everything said above by my classmate in terms of rural sites. I actually tried to get a spot at a popular rural site 4 hours away (with housing) but it was in too high of demand! I only had a long commute for 1 month-long rotation, in Family medicine, about 45 min each way. It was an excellent site where I learned a lot and I really enjoyed getting to experience something new.
Why are M4s who are finishing up their clinical rotations on SDN trying to defend their school after a terrible administrative decision and an even poorer response? You guys have no skin in the game at this point so I'd actually be more interested in the effect this decision has had on rising M4s rather than those of you who only had to deal with this decision while doing away rotations and interviews. Also to your bolded--their societies have made it clear they have no interest in being part of interdisciplinary teams led by a physician. They want to be your boss and your equal. Anything else being touted by individuals is just that, a poorly voiced opinion that has not made its rounds in their professional societies.

Reactions: 7 users
from what i know, PA students at UCD scrubbed into ortho cases alongside sub-I M4s, which sucks

Reactions: 1 user