UC Davis vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamboy888

Reaction score
Hi y’all. I’ve received acceptances to two of my top choices and I hoping for some perspective. At the moment, I’m hoping to pursue some sort of primary care specialty (e.g. FM, IM) with an emphasis on underserved medicine/ community health, substance use med, and/or policy. I hope to match back to California, but slim chance of going out of state. I'm really stuck

UC Davis

Pros
  • Close to home (Bay Area), family, and significant other
  • Relatively cheaper rent in Sac
  • Higher primary care rank (idk if this even matters… ranks are confusing and kinda useless)
  • Department dedicated to policy research, community health
  • Many more free clinics (including one for LGBTQ+ and substance using populations)
  • Possibly 3 years P/F? (sounds a lot less stressful)
  • Harm reduction SIG, a lot more community health SIGs
  • A lot more emphasis on working with underserved populations
  • It sounds like the student body is a lot more close/ happier?
  • Proximity to the Capitol (would be cool for policy)
Cons
  • Less prestigious
  • They recently changed their curriculum a year or two ago (it looks really neat), but they cited below national average/ declining and plateauing average STEP 1 scores as one of the reasons (idk how much this matters since STEP 1 is P/F now)
Neutral
  • I think I can volunteer with harm reduction through one of the free clinics, but I’m not sure (not much info online)
UCSD

Pros
  • Higher research rank (idk if this is super important if I’m pursuing primary care)
  • Possibly more research opportunities
  • 2 year P/F might mean opportunities to distinguish myself during clinicals
  • Super neat lab exploring harm reduction and substance use among elderly populations from a public health perspective
  • There is a harm reduction org in SD and students who I’ve talked to have shared that they’ve volunteered in HR as well (though it might be through their free clinic)
  • A lot of neat electives (idk how much this matters)
  • Rank lists include including more prestigious/ OOS matches (though I wanna stay in Cali, so idk if that matters)
  • A lot more policy SIGs
Cons
  • Higher rent
  • The driving (the I-5) and traffic
  • I’m hearing rumors about people being less social (ik that shouldn’t be the straw that breaks the camel’s back, but I just wanna form a strong community)
  • New curriculum, no explanation why?
  • To volunteer with the free clinic, I would need to get into an elective class via lottery (also a single free clinic for the entire school)
Neutral
  • Flights back are about ~$200 round trip? (Not a deal breaker, but a lot more than the ~$60 round trip train ride back to the Bay)
Other
  • Tuition is comparable
  • I don’t really care about the location. La Jolla is amazing but I don’t have anything against Sacramento either. I’ve been in Sac and in Davis a lot during undergrad and I’d be cool staying there.
  • I have friends in Sac and in SD/ LA (area)

The biggest questions are 1) how much does rank matter, 2) how much does research matter

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I went to UC Davis for undergrad, it's a lovely cozy town with a cool downtown. However, UC Davis is also an old campus, with a lot of 1960s beige and wood stuffy building interiors. It does feel a bit like going to a community college or an old library.
I visited UCSD and it is very much a cosmopolitan center, lots of money flowing around and big ambition research going on. The campus also is much newer, with a lot of cold stark steel and glass structures, and sterile white interiors.

If you have kids or a wife I might suggest UC Davis, or if you want to focus on medicine and study well.
If you are ambitious and interested in money and research, and maybe being a non-physician MD or involve yourself in industry, I might recommend UCSD.