UC Davis vs. UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYtoCA Peds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really liked both of these places when I interviewed and I was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts on these programs. Just to get this thread moving a little I'll give some of my thoughts too.

UC Davis: A small program (12 residents/year) although they still manage to have plenty of call free months throughout the three years (which is a lot more than I can say for some larger NY programs!). I didn't get to see morning report or noon conference on the day of my interview, but the PD spoke with us about the curriculum and really stressed their philosophy of "critical thinking" and making their residents very strong clinicians. Davis isn't a free standing children's hospitals, but the facilities are beautiful and the ancillary services are supposedly great. The residents seem really happy and were even enjoying their intern year. One weird point is that they don't have a formal ambulatory care month so they wind up spending 3-4 months doing urgent care and ER time. And I didn't really mind the area, so I'm not holding the fact that it's in Sacramento against it. :)

UCSD: A slightly larger program (18 residents/year) with some med/peds residents too. Call is q5 when you're in the Children's Hospital but q4 in the NICU and PICU. Of course the area is great...that probably doesn't even need to be said. Everyone seems to be happy with the recent merger with UCSD and Children's Hospital and it seems to have opened up some more opportunities for the residents (in research, etc). I went to morning report and it was really great. The residents seemed really happy and laid back (hard not to in that area). It seemed like a strong academic program, however for some reason I got the feeling that a lot of people go there just because it's in San Diego. I also heard that you don't get a lot of face time with the attendings in your first year (you sort of get the plan for your patients through the senior on your team instead). But some of the interns said that it really wasn't a big deal and actually it helped them get their work done anyway.

So those are my thoughts for now. I'd really appreciate anyone else's opinions on these programs....thanks!!!! :D :D

Members don't see this ad.