UC Davis vs. UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanford_Playah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I liked different things about both the schools, but I've heard bad things about UCSD's grading system and class time and bad things about Davis' location and it not being as well-known nationally. I'm not sure if grades for the first 2 years really matter all that much (I've heard that clincal grades are much more important) so is this even an issue I should consider? Right now, I feel like I want to get involved in some kind of surgery down the road. I also want to do bioinformatics/bioengineering related research, and UCSD seems to have way more opportunities in this regard. Also, there is a significant difference in the rankings and the way the two schools are perceived by someone who's not from California. Is this anything worth considering?

Did anyone have to decide between these two schools? If so, what would you recommend looking at to narrow it down given my interests, etc.? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

weren't you the one who was ucsd-bashing 3 months ago?

Stanford_Playah said:
I liked different things about both the schools, but I've heard bad things about UCSD's grading system and class time and bad things about Davis' location and it not being as well-known nationally. I'm not sure if grades for the first 2 years really matter all that much (I've heard that clincal grades are much more important) so is this even an issue I should consider? Right now, I feel like I want to get involved in some kind of surgery down the road. I also want to do bioinformatics/bioengineering related research, and UCSD seems to have way more opportunities in this regard. Also, there is a significant difference in the rankings and the way the two schools are perceived by someone who's not from California. Is this anything worth considering?

Did anyone have to decide between these two schools? If so, what would you recommend looking at to narrow it down given my interests, etc.? Thanks!

I would definitely choose UCSD! Better location, research, and ranking! But choose which one felt right to you. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Stanford,

I know we've talked a bit about Davis before and I am not the best person to give you advice about research in informatics and/or surgery. I really do not think the P/F matters the first two years since so many places do it. Also, there are a couple of classes here that you can get a special letter for your file if you do well in them: Neuro and Pathology. It's like an equivalent of Honors.

I think there are a lot of bad rumors about UCSD floating around out there. How much of them are true, I really don't know. Maybe you can get in touch with the admissions office and see if they can put you in contact with a student whose interests match yours? Or maybe you can contact professors you might be interested in working with at each school? Are you doing research now? If so, what does your PI think of the schools?

Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks for the suggestions, LoneCoyote. Those are definitely things that I should look into. I'm leaning much more towards one school but I keep questioning my decision. I guess that's only natural. :)

Stanford_Playah said:

sorry, must have confused you for another poster. what's so bad about ucsd's grading system? it's better than a/b/c/d/f, and honestly it really depends on your class dynamics but the p/f line is fairly consistently at 70%. i have also heard that clinical grades are more important. yeah, so the class time is a little bit of an issue, but you don't have to go... i can't speak on the strength of davis' bioinformatics/bioengineering department, but i'm sure you know ucsd's is very well regarded. one thing you may want to consider is that at ucsd you will be competing with md/phd and phd-only students for places in the labs. i'm not certain how much of an issue this actually is, since my knowledge of the bioengineering department is limited.

san diego has hotter chicks.
and is closer to tijuana.

San Diego is arguably the most beautiful city in the US. And the women are way hotter.

also, you have fresh air instead of the smell of cow manure.

what kind of grading does davis have?

beep said:
what kind of grading does davis have?

P/F the first two years with letters for your dean's file if you do really well in certain classes, Neuro and Path have this so far.

H/P/F clinical years.

If you want to do research, UCSD is the place. When I interviewed there, I was truly amazed at their research programs and they work with so many great research institutes like Scripps and the biotech companies around. The competition is overrated. Almost all people pass the classes. You can gun if you want, but that's the case at all schools. Go enjoy the sun, beautiful women, and great school!

Based on your interests no doubt go to UCSD. Better research means better chance for surgery, plus it's a better place to be.

Regarding competition, I don't think there is that much competition, but even if there were, almost everyone passes anyway. The competition is for the top grades in the class. The passing level is never raised because the average is high, it is only lowered if too many people don't do well.

I find that people who actually choose not to go to a school based on it being "competitive" are either not understanding that you DON'T have to be competitive just to pass, even if others are, or are actually gunners themselves and just don't want the extra competition.

MiguelSanchez said:
Based on your interests no doubt go to UCSD. Better research means better chance for surgery, plus it's a better place to be.

Regarding competition, I don't think there is that much competition, but even if there were, almost everyone passes anyway. The competition is for the top grades in the class. The passing level is never raised because the average is high, it is only lowered if too many people don't do well.

I find that people who actually choose not to go to a school based on it being "competitive" are either not understanding that you DON'T have to be competitive just to pass, even if others are, or are actually gunners themselves and just don't want the extra competition.

Just curious, but do you go to UCSD Med School? If not, maybe you don't know about their "reputation" for being pretty competitive...

Choose wherever you feel you will be happy. If you want to do research, maybe UCSD is the school for you. But if you don't want the competitive aspect, maybe look elsewhere.

UCSD is not a competitive school. There is honors but who cares? Anyone who complains about there being honors is really a competive student otherwise you would be happy with 65-70% pass. I go to UCSD and visited Davis. Both schools are great school. Please dont make a choice based on SDN rumors.

As someone who goes to UCSD undergrad, works in the med school and has talked to several students, I can say the following.

1) La Jolla is NOT San Diego - no sun here, no hot chicks, just a lots of geeky azns. That said, go to SDSU for the hot chicks, just watch out for STDs.
2) It is competitive, and a "gunner" med school. Sorry. Competition can also be good in some cases.
3) Some med students don't like it b/c of the heavy emphasis on lecture, competition, and research-centric approach to medicine.
4) That said, it has top-notch world class research, that you won't easily find somewhere else. If you want to do research, this is the place.
5) Just go with your gut. Chances are you already know where you want to go.

domukin said:
As someone who goes to UCSD undergrad, works in the med school and has talked to several students, I can say the following.

1) La Jolla is NOT San Diego - no sun here, no hot chicks, just a lots of geeky azns. That said, go to SDSU for the hot chicks, just watch out for STDs.
2) It is competitive, and a "gunner" med school. Sorry. Competition can also be good in some cases.
3) Some med students don't like it b/c of the heavy emphasis on lecture, competition, and research-centric approach to medicine.
4) That said, it has top-notch world class research, that you won't easily find somewhere else. If you want to do research, this is the place.
5) Just go with your gut. Chances are you already know where you want to go.

SDN rumors someone said? Sounds like first hand knowledge right there...

Pick whichever school will make you happy. People go to Davis to serve Northern Californians (like myself) as well as to go to a medical school that places its emphasis on clinical medicine. If that's not what you want, I wouldn't chose UCD.

UCSBMed1 said:
SDN rumors someone said? Sounds like first hand knowledge right there...

First hand knowledge... from an undergrad who "has talked to several students" :rolleyes:

The first warning sign should be the claim that the sun doesn't shine in La Jolla, which is only 10-15 miles from San Diego proper ;)

You want the real, first-hand scoop? Somebody should make a distinction between that are "competitive" and those that "perform well." There are certainly people in my class who believe not making Honors is as good as failing, and they study a lot. However, these same people, to my knowledge, are neither backstabbing other classmates nor purposely keeping information to themselves (which is my definition of "competitive"). The vast majority of my class (supposedly the most studious one in recent history) is very cohesive AND happens to perform well on exams. IMHO, the number of spreadsheets that they share is actually rather ridiculous.