UC denver prereq question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bear715

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, to anyone that knows anything about the university of colorado pharmacy, I have a quick question.

It says on the site that UC denver's prereq includes anatomy/physiology and biochemistry. Does this mean community college students cannot get into the pharmacy school without taking some uni upper division classes somewhere?

Those upper div classes like A&P and biochem are only offered at a uni right?

Members don't see this ad.

For CU, those prereqs don't need to be upper division. I've seen anat/phys, but not biochem, offered at many community colleges.

A&P is not an upper level class. It is offered at community colleges. I am not sure about Biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, to anyone that knows anything about the university of colorado pharmacy, I have a quick question.

It says on the site that UC denver's prereq includes anatomy/physiology and biochemistry. Does this mean community college students cannot get into the pharmacy school without taking some uni upper division classes somewhere?

Those upper div classes like A&P and biochem are only offered at a uni right?

Both A & P classes are 200-level courses in the Colorado community college system. Biochem is not. I took my biochem at the Metropolitan State College of Denver, which is a 4-year school. You don't need to go to a university but you probably will need to go to a 4-year college. Still, that's just one class.

Also, there was talk of getting a special 200-level biochem class at the CCs specifically to satisfy this requirement. My Ochem teacher said this was pretty much up to CU, though, as to whether they accepted the proposal or not. I know it wasn't ready in time for me to take it last fall, but if you're in Colorado you might talk to someone at your CC about it.

Anyway, bottom line is you will probably have to take one (or more) class at a 4-year institution, which is not the end of the world.

Both A & P classes are 200-level courses in the Colorado community college system.

I'm taking anat/phys at CCA. So does this mean I can designate this course as upper division on my application, or is it still lower division since it's taken at a community college?

An off-topic question, Charfdorn...what do you think are the odds of getting accepted to CU via EDP compared to the odds of getting accepted via regular application cycle? Because there are only 12 early admit spots, I'm not sure if getting one of those spots is more competitive. I'm debating which to do.

I'm taking anat/phys at CCA. So does this mean I can designate this course as upper division on my application, or is it still lower division since it's taken at a community college?

An off-topic question, Charfdorn...what do you think are the odds of getting accepted to CU via EDP compared to the odds of getting accepted via regular application cycle? Because there are only 12 early admit spots, I'm not sure if getting one of those spots is more competitive. I'm debating which to do.

I would apply for early decision because it doesn't hurt you. If you don't get one of the spots, you go into the regular applicant pool.

Yes, A&P is a lower division course. I don't think this is unique to you or to the community college system; I think it's a 200-level course just about everywhere and therefore is designed for sophomores - a lower division course.