UC-Irvine Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dustin04ag

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Texas and I am scheduled to do an EM rotation at UC-I starting July 30-Aug 28th. I am trying to find info on housing in the area, but the school said that they don't really have any info. I have been looking for something affordable that I can stay in for a month, and considering I am clueless about the area... I haven't had much luck.
Is it possible to stay in the Grad student housing in Irvine and then commute? Do I need to have a car or is public transportation pretty available?

Anyone else rotate at UC-I? Have any info/tips?

I am really looking forward to the rotation. It looks pretty solid and well organized. I can't wait.

Thanks for the help.

** I will be at UT-SW in Dallas July2-July 30. If anyone has questions about the area, let me know. I am from around the area and might could help out **

Members don't see this ad.

UCI first year here. I do not believe that you can stay at UCI grad housing, but you may not even want to anyways, as the medical center is a 15 min drive away. Public transportation is not very good here in Orange County, though there are bus routes that run to the hospital and you may be able survive without a car if you live off a bus route. Also, the weather here will be quite nice so if you live within 5 miles, you may even get away with a bicycle. The best (and wholly useless) suggestion I have is to look for housing on Craigslist. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions about the area.

I wonder if they're still requiring the sub-I's to wear shirt & tie in the ED there :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice SanDiegoSOD!! Craigslist is now my online crack. Already heard back about some summer sub-leases and a lot are within 2 miles of the hospital.

Ceez - I just looked up the dress code for the sub-I's cause you got me all scared about shirt and tie stuff..... and sure enought, shirt/ties and slacks are preferred but it does say that clean hospital scrubs are optional ... so it sounds like it is gonna be pretty sweet biking to the hospital in my suit. NICE

I wonder if they're still requiring the sub-I's to wear shirt & tie in the ED there :cool:

Interesting... though I've only been in the ER at UCI a handful of times, I can definitely say that I've never seen a medical student or doc in a shirt and tie.

Thanks for the advice SanDiegoSOD!! Craigslist is now my online crack. Already heard back about some summer sub-leases and a lot are within 2 miles of the hospital.

Sweet! Just make sure you bring a helmet, there's a lot of traffic around the hospital and there isn't always bike lanes to ride in.

HI! I'm a UCI 3rd year going into EM...PM me if you need a place to stay.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS email the clerkship coordinator about any residents that may have a room to rent if you need a place to stay during electives. A resident gets to know you which may help out come match time, you get the inside scoop on the program/hospital/area, and it is often close to the hospital. You may often get a chance to hang out with other residents during your stay with them and that will give you an even better indication of how much you fit at the program. Sorry, did I mention to ALWAYS do this?!? ;)

another thing to remember is that when you go there...do not pay for hte parking structure everyday! there is a ton of free parking right across the street from the hospital as part of a the big mall there "the block at orange".
technically your not supposed to park there unless your shopping and it does get patrolled but just be aware of it and u wont have any problems. just dont put your white coat on in the car and then walk to the hospital with it on...i kept it in my bag till i got far enough away...just in case. . ...oh and all students wore scrubs...everyone is very nice there. Have a great time...there is so much to do nearby. and if u want a beautiful beach nearby go to laguna.

Hi,

I'm a 4th year undergrad at UCI. Here's a great resource for looking for summer subletting (UCI's undergrad schedule runs a little late with us starting in September and getting out in June), http://www.anteaterforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29. It's a UCI undergrad forum and there's already a ton of people looking for subletters.

The medical center is about 15-20 minutes away from UCI's main campus (where most of these apartments are going to be) without traffic and up towards an hour away during the afternoon rush (55 freeway northbound starting about 2 pm during weekdays is death).

Another thing to factor in is that parking for a lot of med center employees is about a block away at the Crystal Cathedral. Shuttles run at least every 15 minutes with shorter wait times during peak hours (more shuttles and more direct routes), but the distance between parking and the hospital isn't that far.

Finally, there is also a shuttle van that goes from UCI main campus to the medical center. I'm not 100% sure if it runs during the summer, though. http://www.parking.uci.edu/AT/modes/shuttles2.cfm