UC postbac programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kownell

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all--I have interviews lined up for three of these programs--UCSF, SD, an Irvine. Can anyone fill me in on the pros and cons of these programs? How the interviews were conducted?

After doing a quick search on past threads it seems that these programs have certainly worked out for post-bacs. Does anyone have direct experience participating in them?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at UCSF last year for the post bacc (but didn't get in) and have another interview this year. The interview asked basic questions most med schools would ask and a little bit more about your background and where you grew up. I tried asking them several times last year what was it in my application that I should work on, they promised me they would respond to me once things get settled down, yet they never did, so I don't know exactly what they are looking for. Out of all the post bacc's at UC's, UCD was the most effective (one of my friends did an actual paid and published research on the uc's post baccs) of the four. I don't have any experience with the other post-baccs and I am applying for them for the first time this year.... and oh yeah, I was rejected from the UCD post bacc..... kind of dissappointing since I really wanted to do that one and still haven't heard from UCSD or UCI

Keep me posted on how your experience is

I did my post bac at UCI and it was great. The best thing I got out of it was the MCAT preparation. However, within the program the majority of students are hispanic/latino and the meals are generally/only mexican food during the summer session. so if u hate spicy food...umm...look eslewhere :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Orchid 209 said:
I interviewed at UCSF last year for the post bacc (but didn't get in) and have another interview this year. The interview asked basic questions most med schools would ask and a little bit more about your background and where you grew up. I tried asking them several times last year what was it in my application that I should work on, they promised me they would respond to me once things get settled down, yet they never did, so I don't know exactly what they are looking for. Out of all the post bacc's at UC's, UCD was the most effective (one of my friends did an actual paid and published research on the uc's post baccs) of the four. I don't have any experience with the other post-baccs and I am applying for them for the first time this year.... and oh yeah, I was rejected from the UCD post bacc..... kind of dissappointing since I really wanted to do that one and still haven't heard from UCSD or UCI

Keep me posted on how your experience is

Hey Orchid,

Thanks for the info. I have yet to hear from UCD yet. When did you hear from them? It's interesting to hear that your friend has published data showing that the UCD is the most effective. Not to sound too nerdy but can you sum up the paper in a nutshell or is there there a weblink to the paper? I'm curious about it.

I'll be sure to keep you updated. The results of the interviews should come out by the end of the month at the latest.

When is your UCSF interview orchid?

Hey all,

I googled UC postbaccalaureate evaluations and found this... pretty interesting.....

www.universityofcalifornia.edu/ regents/regmeet/july02/308.pdf

I couldn't find the report my friend was talking about..... but then her study could have been tracking it in more recent years. I haven't been able to contact her... but if I find more information I'll post it.

To the OP... my interview is on the 24th... it's a later than it was last year... (I interviewed the first week of may) but then again I had never applied to med school before than, and a reapplicant now. Hopefully I hear good news from the waitlists and don't have to go to my interview :D

Hey Orchid,

thanks for the link. Although a bit dated I'm sure the information still carries a lot of relevance until now. Those are some astounding statistics for the UC programs.

Best of luck getting off those waiting lists. I'm in the same position waiting on two myself. May 15th couldn't come any sooner.