UC vs. CSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychmed2005

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused! I'm being pulled in every direction possible when I just want one truthful answer (believe I've heard a lot already). I need a direct answer backed up with some stats. How do I find out how many people get admitted to medical school and frome what colleges. I'm thinking about making a huge transition from state to city in order to transfer to a UC system. In the end is it really worth it?
--Gabe

Members don't see this ad.

Back in the day when I was applying to college, I think a lot of schools mentioned what percentage of their graduating class got into post-grad programs, including medicine. That's probably the most information that you could find on that topic. However, if you are currently at a Cal State right now, and you have good grades, it probably isn't necessary to transfer into a UC. With a high GPA, and a good MCAT, you should be fine. And actually, depending on which UC you are thinking about, my guess is the transfer and getting used to the new system could be more frustration than it is worth. Just my $.02.

Hi Gabe,

As a grad of CSU Fresno myself, I *feel* your pain! Is Dr. Rodemeyer still the pre-med advisor there? He should be able to give you some data on the numbers of CSUF grads who get into med school.

However, bear in mind that while the "UC is better" mentality is alive and well in California, I *highly* doubt it makes a significant difference in medical school admissions, all else (grades, test scores, etc.) being equal. So, if this is your only reason for transferring, I'm not sure its warranted.

I'm sure you'll find that acceptance rates to med schools from UCs *are* higher. Then again, admission standards for UCs are higher than CSUs, they have access to medical faculty at their institutions and more resources for letters from "known" medical names,etc. There *will* be advantages to going to a UC, but it will be substantially more expensive (especially if you are living at home right now), you will likely have much larger classes, etc.

I'm sorry I don't have any numbers to back me up, but it sounds like what you want to know is, is there a significant difference in medical school admisions among students with same gpa and MCAT scores as you have as a function of their undergraduate university? See if you can get the data from the CSUs and UCs pre-med committees.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much all the public colleges in California are pretty darn good. It really depends on what's right for you. Obviously, the UCs (being the top tier) are going to put more students into medical school. But it's not impossible to get in out of a CSU. A classmate and I graduated from SJSU, there are also three SFSU grads in my class which is pretty impressive seeing as I'm in Pennsylvania right now. Of course there are also several Berkeley, UCLA, etc... grads as well. Good luck..I hope this helps.

I think that you will find the competition alot higher at the UC schools. As a UC Grad myself in Biochem, most of my classmates were premed and they were cut throat, many were very smart too. At the CSU level, I think they are not as competitive(not saying they are less competent).

Also, CSU are not focused on research(there is some research, but few and far between), just teaching. If you want opportunities to build a good resume, go to a UC school because there are plent of opportunities for research because all faculty are required to publish and do research. So you have opportunities to find a lab. I also think that UC's have better equipement(more Electron microscopy, etc) that are too expensive for CSU's to maintain because they don't do research. If you are not the competitive type, don't go to a UC. Cheating is fairly rampent, and some of your classmates will have exams from the last 20 years. So there can be a disadvantage to you if you can't get access to them.

All in all, how much you learnn depends on you. Like any school, you will not be spoon fed the material. Just work hard and where ever you go, you will do fine. Good Luck on you decision.

Sorry I have taken so long to respond to those who have responded to me already. I thank you very much for your advise. I don't feel as alone anymore in my goal for medical school. In fact I'm estatic that I litterally stumbled on this web site. I have decided to stay at fresno state. I'm already in good standing there, and hope to improve on it. Thank's again. I value all of your opinions and will certainly write if I have more questions.
--Gabe