UCBSO '05 Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Well, I just got my rejection letter today (dated 03/16/05). It stings a bit because I thought my interview would help get me through. I am pretty sure it was my OAT scores that did me in (attending a small undergrad and not enough ECs probably hurt my chances too). The averages for this year's accepted class according to the rejection letter was 3.57 for prereq GPA and 355 for OAT AA. Also, looking back at my interview, I probably could have done a better job at convincing them that I was sincere about optometry. I am still waiting on SUNY - the only other school I applied to, but I am almost certain that my interview there had the same problem. I mean, if I could admit that I didn't sound sincere enough about optometry, I am sure that they picked up on it. If I don't get into SUNY, I guess it's a sign that optometry will not be my career as I do not see myself applying to anymore schools this year or next. On to plan B - hehe...

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

bobsacamenoh

Here lies a rejected applicant:
prereq GPA = 3.63 (with one more prereq to take)
Major = BS Biological Science, graduated 2004
OAT AA and TS = 330 (with a couple of 310s in the mix)

A few tips for future applicants:

1. Know that this is what you really want
2. Study hard for the OAT if you know you need to
3. Know that this is what you really want

Members don't see this ad.

bobsacamenoh,

I'm so sorry to hear about the rejection. I wish you the best of luck for SUNY and the future.

- Rosanna

bobsacamenoh said:
Well, I just got my rejection letter today (dated 03/16/05). It stings a bit because I thought my interview would help get me through. I am pretty sure it was my OAT scores that did me in (attending a small undergrad and not enough ECs probably hurt my chances too). The averages for this year's accepted class according to the rejection letter was 3.57 for prereq GPA and 355 for OAT AA. Also, looking back at my interview, I probably could have done a better job at convincing them that I was sincere about optometry. I am still waiting on SUNY - the only other school I applied to, but I am almost certain that my interview there had the same problem. I mean, if I could admit that I didn't sound sincere enough about optometry, I am sure that they picked up on it. If I don't get into SUNY, I guess it's a sign that optometry will not be my career as I do not see myself applying to anymore schools this year or next. On to plan B - hehe...

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

bobsacamenoh

Here lies a rejected applicant:
prereq GPA = 3.63 (with one more prereq to take)
Major = BS Biological Science, graduated 2004
OAT AA and TS = 330 (with a couple of 310s in the mix)

A few tips for future applicants:

1. Know that this is what you really want
2. Study hard for the OAT if you know you need to
3. Know that this is what you really want

Sorry to hear about your rejection. Keep your hopes up for SUNY. Can I ask what your plan B is and how come you won't be trying again next year? Are you unsure of whether this is what you really want?

Members don't see this ad :)
So there seems to be a hold up with official letters coming out. I received an e-mail notification and still haven't received an official letter. I have an interview scheduled on 3/23 at SUNY and really need to know whether or not I got into UCBSO before I fly to NY. So I e-mailed the dean to confirm whether or not I have been admitted since it seems like almost everyone who was accepted got their letters already. He responded fairly quickly and confirmed my acceptance after digging around for my file. Apparently, things are a little hectic there since the admissions director left. So, for those of you who haven't received anything yet, there is still hope.

One waitlisted person will soon be very pleased...I just declined Berkeley's offer of Early Acceptance. Good luck to you all!

Hey,

I finally got my acceptance letter today! I really thought I wouldn't get in since my stats were only average and my interview only went ok. And when the people said they had recieved acceptances via email and I didn't recieve on, I had lost hope. But when I saw that big envelope in my mailbox...I knew there was still hope!!!

I called Berkeley earlier this week and they said they had sent my letter out Tuesday morning. I was so anxious everyday whenever I came home, just waiting for a rejection letter. Now I'm so happy :D cause Berkeley was the only place I could really see myself at for the next four years. Yay, no more cold MI weather.

Ugh, now I have to take a summer course since I haven't fulfilled the human anatomy course. I also have to start looking for housing! So much to do still.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting or is applying next year. Remember, there's always hope and don't lose faith in yourself!

Ning-Ju

Ning said:
Hey,

I finally got my acceptance letter today! I really thought I wouldn't get in since my stats were only average and my interview only went ok. And when the people said they had recieved acceptances via email and I didn't recieve on, I had lost hope. But when I saw that big envelope in my mailbox...I knew there was still hope!!!

I called Berkeley earlier this week and they said they had sent my letter out Tuesday morning. I was so anxious everyday whenever I came home, just waiting for a rejection letter. Now I'm so happy :D cause Berkeley was the only place I could really see myself at for the next four years. Yay, no more cold MI weather.

Ugh, now I have to take a summer course since I haven't fulfilled the human anatomy course. I also have to start looking for housing! So much to do still.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting or is applying next year. Remember, there's always hope and don't lose faith in yourself!

Ning-Ju

Hey there Ning!

Congratulations! So does this mean you're officially joining our bandwagon then? I know you were still thinking about SCCO.

By the way, quick note: make sure you've also satisfied the Physiology pre-requisite too (I only mention it because I think most JC's require anatomy as the pre-req for physiology).

Hey,

Yup, I'm pretty sure I'll be attending Berkeley next year! So I'll see everyone on the forum :) . I asked you about SCCO because I originally had an interview there early April. But now I can save $$ since I got into the school I wanted to go to the most.

I've taken human physiology and am currently taking animal phys lab. Unfortunately my school doesn't offer the lab portion of anatomy so I'll have to take it elsewhere. I also have to make sure that it fits Berkeley's requirement too.

Do you have to maintain a certain grade for this last semester (if you're still in school) if you get accepted?? I think someone said at SUNY said you had to get at least Bs.

I'm dreading looking for housing because I live in MI and would probaby have to make an extra trip before school begins to find something!

Ning-Ju

Hello all:

Just wanted to post the official rebuttal to the article published in the Journal of Optometric Education:

http://optometry.berkeley.edu/news_info/news_varia/news-response-joe.html

BTW, I'm not sure if you do have to maintain a certain GPA. If there are any prerequisite classes you still need to complete, I think it'll be safe to at least maintain a 3.0.

- Rosanna

Hey Guys, I am an undergrad at UCSD, applying to Optometry School this Fall.

Just Curious, Those who applied to UCBSO for 2005
What were you GPAs and OAT Scores?

Thanks!

GPA overall: 3.68
GPA pre-req: 3.54
OAT AA: 340
OAT TS: 360

GPA: UCLA (Psychobio major) overall -- 3.48
OAT: TS -- 380; AA -- 370