UCF vs UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

walkaht

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a dilemma, and I was hoping to maybe get some advice/guidance. I have been accepted into UCF and UF, and I was hoping to get your thoughts on which program you think would give me the best education. Initially, I was 100% going to UCF, but after acceptance into UF, and attending their DPT open house, I have found myself torn between the two programs. I really just want the best-quality education, any thoughts?

Thank you!

Tyler

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I have a dilemma, and I was hoping to maybe get some advice/guidance. I have been accepted into UCF and UF, and I was hoping to get your thoughts on which program you think would give me the best education. Initially, I was 100% going to UCF, but after acceptance into UF, and attending their DPT open house, I have found myself torn between the two programs. I really just want the best-quality education, any thoughts?

Thank you!

Tyler
What were your stats like?

UF!! lol.
I live in Orlando and would hate to move but I would if I got into UF. Hands down..
UF is a great school, has a great reputation, and some of the best medical programs (in Florida).

Members don't see this ad :)
UF is consistently ranked above UCF in PT School rankings. For example UF was ranked 12th by U.S. News and UCF wasn't in the top 30. (I don't remember exactly what number they were) But pick where you feel most comfortable and where you feel like you'll succeed!

UF is consistently ranked above UCF in PT School rankings. For example UF was ranked 12th by U.S. News and UCF wasn't in the top 30. (I don't remember exactly what number they were) But pick where you feel most comfortable and where you feel like you'll succeed!
I am trying not to look at rankings as my primary motivator, though. I want to go to a place that gives me the best all-around education, and I really think the best way to find out which school that might be is to ask the students what they think about the quality of the program. I do appreciate the feedback, though! I just want to find out more about the program, and what current Physical Therapists, as well as current students, think about the programs.

I am trying not to look at rankings as my primary motivator, though. I want to go to a place that gives me the best all-around education, and I really think the best way to find out which school that might be is to ask the students what they think about the quality of the program. I do appreciate the feedback, though! I just want to find out more about the program, and what current Physical Therapists, as well as current students, think about the programs.

Did you try posting in the PT forum also instead of the Pre-PT? That might help too!

I went to UCF for undergrad and have lived in Orlando my entire life. It is an awesome city with a ton of cool stuff to explore. I've been up to Gainesville plenty of times and I don't like it very much. Not a whole lot to do, very much just a college town (although Shands is nice). Orlando is a major city and it's spread out enough you're not overwhelmed like other big cities. My old place was 40 minutes from the beach, 30 minutes from downtown, and 45 minutes from some really nice camping. A really diverse and cool town to live in. So if it comes down to location, I'd choose UCF.

Stats, as in GPA, GRE, and such?

CUM GPA: 3.55
Prereq: 4.0
UCF GPA: 3.99
GRE: 148, 153, 4

Is that what you were wanting?
Yes that's what I meant. I'm interested in both schools, so I wanted to see your stats since you got accepted into both. Did you have lots of hours? But I've heard UCF has a better surrounding city in Orlando. Lots of people have told me they don't like UF as much because of the area.

I don't know too much about UCF's program, but in general I would choose UF. The program has been around longer so it is more established, it may or may not attract higher quality faculty (not saying UCF's faculty is bad), and it is ranked higher so it has a better reputation among the field. Whether this translates to a better education, I don't know. UCF does not have a university hospital either whereas UF does, if that matters to you. On the other hand, UCF's class size is much smaller so there may be more opportunities for one-on-one time with faculty. Location is personal opinion, I like Gainesville more than Orlando, but obviously there are people who like Orlando more than Gainesville. My advice would be to look at the differences between the curriculums, decide what you want in an education and see what classes/clinicals/etc. each program offers and decide what you like best. Good luck!

I was in the same dilemma as you last year, but eventually chose UCF over UF. Some of the factors that influenced my decision were:

Class size: My class at UCF is 35 people, whereas the class size at UF was close to 70. I know everyone in my class and get a lot of 1 on 1 with the professors.
Lack of interviews: It kind of bothered me that UF doesn't interview. I know a couple in the UF program and said there are a few people in the program that never would have made it if they had interviewed.
Location: This is my personal opinion, but the campus and the city of Orlando in general are so much better than Gainesville.
Comfort level: Honestly, I just felt more comfortable at UCF.
When I was observing during undergrad, 2 of the PT's I shadowed mentioned that the UCF students were the most prepared on their clinicals. Mind you this doesn't relate just to UF, but it was a good endorsement.

Going to UCF was a fantastic decision for me, but it's up to you and what you feel best with. Honestly, focus less on the name of the school and more on where you think you'll become the best clinician. At the end of the day, no matter where you go, you'll have the same letters after your name. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hey walkaht,

I was accepted into UF as well and will be attending! I just thought I'd let you know what I thought about the program. I must say that I a bit biased because I attended UF for my undergrad but I'm sooo happy that I get to stay here for 3 more years. Honestly, I love UF and the environment. I've met the faculty before and gone to the open house and I love how the classrooms are minutes away from both the library and main hospital! UF Health is one of Gainesville's big hospitals and because there are countless places in Gainesville for rehab services, the opportunities for rotations are endless. Also, UF DPT encourages students to choose places away from the area for their rotations so they try to have ties with hundreds of clinics else where (just in case you want to "travel" while in school too!) UF Health has an awesome reputation as its a research basedschool/evidence-based practice facility. I have friends in the program and they absolutely love it. I personally like the area. Gainesville is a college town and there's pretty much everything nearby. Beaches/springs are accessible, there's night life, there's football but it's also quiet enough for you to be able to focus on studies when needed. There's 4 huge libraries on campus where you can always study, and I've heard the cadaver labs for Functional Anatomy are awesome. All in all, I would definitely recommend UF if you're wanting to come to Florida for DPT. I feel as if Orlando is much busier and may be harder for specific experiences in rehab because the hospitals aren't as involved in clinics, but I'm not too sure about that! UF's program is highly recognized and you can expect to be fully prepared for your future profession! I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help. :)