UChicago Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebeclette

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about U Chicago waitlist movement. I thought they said that they would look over the list in late april, rank it, and tell some people that they weren't going to consider them any longer. Does anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go to UC, I would highly recommend spending as much time as possible talking to/emailing sylvia robertson. She's your advocate at this point, and it would show interest even to call there asking about the ranked list.

will Dean Robertson prefer people leaving messages/emailing her about our interest, or she doesn't mind people calling and asking to talk to her directly?

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP...where are my fellow Pritzker waitlistees?

No interest in Pritzker at all??

I'm still hangin' on and praying.....

I let my acceptance go late last week... I second that you should talk to dean Robertson-- she is incredibly receptive to questions/interest etc.

I called Pritzker today, and they're still working on the waiting list from the pool of alternate applicants, but hopefully they would be done soon. Everyone will be notified whether or not the committee will still pursue their applications.

Thanks for all your help guys!
I wish they would hurry up with the list!
When I talked to Dean Robinson in the fall after being waitlisted she didn't sound very optomistic, so I'm not sure how good my chances are. But I guess you never know!

I wrote about this two years ago here when I was on the waitlist, so I'm sure if you search for my user name, you'll find that thread. I was very proactive about calling and writing Sylvia. What I love about the U of C is that they really care about you as an individual, and if you show interest in coming here, they are going to at least take a real strong look at you. I talked to Sylvia personally, and she told me to write a letter detailing all the reasons I wanted to go here, plus she was also kind enough to tell me what was missing in my application that caused me to be put on the waitlist. My letter addressed that also, and when I was accepted, which was actually two years ago yesterday, she said that the letter had made a big difference. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Sylvia is amazing. I am down to the wire on my decision between my state school and Pritzker, and she has been unbelievably supportive and helpful. I don't imagine it would change as a student, and I met some people who had been waitlisted and were bolstered by Sylvia's encouragement and eventually matriculated there. Good Luck!

OldLady said:
Sylvia is amazing. I am down to the wire on my decision between my state school and Pritzker, and she has been unbelievably supportive and helpful. I don't imagine it would change as a student, and I met some people who had been waitlisted and were bolstered by Sylvia's encouragement and eventually matriculated there. Good Luck!
INteresting is that I ususually write down notes about a school after interview day, and one of the things I wrote was "assistant director of admission??--Sylvia was really nice"

I was a bit scared to talk to her in person before I read Schubie's post, because admission people always seem busy...

CalBeE said:
INteresting is that I ususually write down notes about a school after interview day, and one of the things I wrote was "assistant director of admission??--Sylvia was really nice"

I was a bit scared to talk to her in person before I read Schubie's post, because admission people always seem busy...

especially after May 15th she may be less busy answering dumass questions from me about my decision. If you still really want to go there, I would talk to her about where you need to strengthen your case and address that in a letter if you haven't already. My state school's biggest selling point (in addition to cheap tuition) is how supportive they are to their students: well I haven't felt it there yet, but in my minimal dealings with Pritzker and contact with Sylvia, it's OBVIOUS

Members don't see this ad :)
Calbee, definitely contact Sylvia. I have to echo everyone else's sentiments, she really is the nicest. I talked to her a few weeks back. I think there is a great chance of getting off the waitlist if you are so inclined to send a letter, so it's really in your hands if that's where you wanna go (LA or Chi-town ;) )

Lux Aeterna said:
Calbee, definitely contact Sylvia. I have to echo everyone else's sentiments, she really is the nicest. I talked to her a few weeks back. I think there is a great chance of getting off the waitlist if you are so inclined to send a letter, so it's really in your hands if that's where you wanna go (LA or Chi-town ;) )
Yea I think I'll have to take a more aggressive approach. Pritzker said in the alternate letter that they accept an average of 20+ people off the waitlist...but when you think about it, it's really not a lot...I guess to stand out, strong interest will be important.

rebeclette said:
Thanks for all your help guys!
I wish they would hurry up with the list!
When I talked to Dean Robinson in the fall after being waitlisted she didn't sound very optomistic, so I'm not sure how good my chances are. But I guess you never know!

Yeah i spoke with her a while back and she was definitely less than optimistic about my chances. I almost felt like she was trying to reject me over the phone. Regardless i'm gonna keep trying and see what happens. The only problem i have is that there's really isn't much more to say at this point. I've already written numerous letters and emails.... i just don't know what they want from me anymore ......

how do u get through to the dean? i tried calling and this machine just tells me to either leave a message or email the admissions office.

kwanny said:
how do u get through to the dean? i tried calling and this machine just tells me to either leave a message or email the admissions office.
The number I called was 773-702-1937. It's the line to an assistant or secretary. I called and asked to talk to Dean Robertson today, but she was at a meeting. I'll try calling again tomorrow.

CalBeE said:
The number I called was 773-702-1937. It's the line to an assistant or secretary. I called and asked to talk to Dean Robertson today, but she was at a meeting. I'll try calling again tomorrow.

Sweet. thanks dude.

I tried to talk to Dean Robertson, but was directed to the administrative manager, Audrey Sparks, instead. She wasn't able to answer the phone and I had to leave a voice mail...hopefully she'll call back.

Hey all,
I'm on the waitlist too. I just spoke to someone in admissions yesterday, and they told me that they would be going over the waitlistees towards the end of this week. Good luck to all! :luck:

Pritzker waitlistees,
I just dropped, if I was ahead of any of you good luck!
I'm headed to Loyola.

matt

CalBeE said:
I tried to talk to Dean Robertson, but was directed to the administrative manager, Audrey Sparks, instead. She wasn't able to answer the phone and I had to leave a voice mail...hopefully she'll call back.

Audrey is Sylvia's assistant, so anything that you leave with her should get to Sylvia. If you still have Audrey's email from the interview scheduling, you could also write to Sylvia that way. I know she is busy right now, I was there a few weeks ago and there is a lot going on right now- it took me a few weeks to get in for a 2nd look.

I'm on the waitlist too. I've written numerous letters stating why I like pritzker, etc. I didn't write to sylvia though, I wrote to Eric Lombard and the person who interviewed me (David Owen). I hope that would also do. I guess I'll write to sylvia in my next letter, if I write another.
20 isn't much to take from the waitlist though. I hope I get in.

Yo, i heard they've eliminated half the people from the "alternate pool" and formed a "waitlist pool" comprised of roughly 100 people. When i called them today, they told me to call back at the end of the week to check to see if I had made the waitlist pool, and then proceed to talk to the dean or what not.

OldLady said:
Audrey is Sylvia's assistant, so anything that you leave with her should get to Sylvia. If you still have Audrey's email from the interview scheduling, you could also write to Sylvia that way. I know she is busy right now, I was there a few weeks ago and there is a lot going on right now- it took me a few weeks to get in for a 2nd look.
I guess the office is too busy now...Audrey didn't return my call but that's understandable. I'll wait until they form the "waitlist Pool", and if I get on it, then I'll ask for a time to talk to Dean Robertson.

I like Pritzker more and more each day!

CalBeE said:
I guess the office is too busy now...Audrey didn't return my call but that's understandable. I'll wait until they form the "waitlist Pool", and if I get on it, then I'll ask for a time to talk to Dean Robertson.

I like Pritzker more and more each day!

I'm withdrawing from U of C imminently. Good luck guys.

thewebthsp said:
I'm withdrawing from U of C imminently. Good luck guys.
Great, and enjoy Columbia (??)! :)

Has anyone heard if they've been selected for the waitlist yet or is everybody still hanging out in the alternate pool? cuz i haven't heard anything!

NYCguy said:
Has anyone heard if they've been selected for the waitlist yet or is everybody still hanging out in the alternate pool? cuz i haven't heard anything!
Apparently they'll have made the decisions by the end of this week?

I just got a letter today, dated May 12. The adcom will no longer pursue my app anymore (i.e. I'm rejected). I'm a bit bumped because I was getting myself excited, hoping to get in. Good luck everyone else...

I'm sorry CalBe, that really sucks. I got my letter saying that they would continue to consider me, so I guess the all go out at the same time.

rebeclette said:
I'm sorry CalBe, that really sucks. I got my letter saying that they would continue to consider me, so I guess the all go out at the same time.
I guess I didn't do well in the interview at all...:(

I'm sure that wasn't it, maybe their quotas for certain people were just full or something, that's the way I like to think about it.

rebeclette, did you send them any extra letters or anything of the sort?

no letter here, yet, but i'm not holding my breath.....!

rebeclette said:
I'm sure that wasn't it, maybe their quotas for certain people were just full or something, that's the way I like to think about it.
I don't know, after I got waitlisted at Pritzker, Northwestern, and Emory...all schools that I like...I started to feel that maybe I was a bit too reserved during my interviews...but then that's how I'm like unless I know the person well.

I had horrible feeling about my Vandy and UCLA interviews, and yet I got in...I can't really comprehend this whole process any more :(

See I feel like I talked too much at my Emory and Northwestern interviews, and that they didn't like what I said, and therefore waitlisted me, its just so hard to know.
But hey, you go into some really good schools!

Lux Aeterna said:
rebeclette, did you send them any extra letters or anything of the sort?

no letter here, yet, but i'm not holding my breath.....!

I talked to them in the fall after being waitlisted, and I've send a couple of update letters. Also they said they waitlisted me because I seemed too nervous and frustrated based on being very nervous in the interview, and because of my word choices in my personal statement. (Sounded pretty lame) So I had one of my supervisors send a letter of recommendation saying I wasn't like that.

CalBeE said:
I don't know, after I got waitlisted at Pritzker, Northwestern, and Emory...all schools that I like...I started to feel that maybe I was a bit too reserved during my interviews...but then that's how I'm like unless I know the person well.

I had horrible feeling about my Vandy and UCLA interviews, and yet I got in...I can't really comprehend this whole process any more :(
damn sorry to hear that bro....
but its all good. ucla is better.
even though it is basically your 2nd home haha. familiarity isnt THAT bad.
just think of it as a marriage. ^__^

rebeclette said:
I talked to them in the fall after being waitlisted, and I've send a couple of update letters. Also they said they waitlisted me because I seemed too nervous and frustrated based on being very nervous in the interview, and because of my word choices in my personal statement. (Sounded pretty lame) So I had one of my supervisors send a letter of recommendation saying I wasn't like that.
rebeclette, see that was probably a mistake I made--not calling them after my waitlist to see why I was waitlisted. Therefore, my update letters weren't targetted towards their concerns. Now that you mentioned it, I was really nervous at my Pritzker interview too, because I was basically asked a lot of random and hard questions. That may be why.

CalBeE said:
I was basically asked a lot of random and hard questions.

I was too, by my student interviewer- he found the most obscure things on my AMCAS and asked me about them. I think it's a tactic to see how well you respond. He also came in earlier in the morning to see if I could meet earlier "to get it over with"- not sure if he was trying to rattle me or was seriously concerned about his time. I told the Admissions guy about it on my 2nd look, so he maybe won't be doing interviews in the future.....

Damn...

I just got the big R from Pritzker... this sucks...

they had 170ish accepts out as of e/o April, so there may not be much waitlist movement. anyone have any more recent info than this?

The letter they sent said about 20 people will probably get in from the waitlist...so I'm trying to have at least guarded optimism, I wish they would say how big the waitlist was...

I just called the office (again) and it was immediately answered (not automated options). The woman who answered said that she didn't think they were taking anyone off the waitlist and they have the number the dean wants for the class. Do you think this is true? For the first year ever, they aren't taking anyone?

WOW, that sucks for us. I guess there were more people applying this year than in years past. :confused:

yeah..they are way different than the way they were in the interview. They were so nice then, and acting like they really cared about everyone, even those people who they decide not to take. And then when you are on the waitlist they totally change and aren't helpful at all. I should have tried harder for Emory instead.
Blegh

I just got an email back from Sylvia Robertson saying: "Sorry for the confusion -- we are now holding 106 students for our class of 104 and have not yet made any offers from our wait list. I expect we will make a few wait list offers later in the summer but likely fewer than we have in the past. Thank you for your patience -- take care. Sylvia"