UChicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyc_girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten an interview invite yet from UChicago? If so, what dates do they interview? I would like to correlate the dates with my Northwestern interview if possible.

Also- anyone have any opinions on these two programs?

Members don't see this ad.

haven't heard, either...keep checking the interview thread.........................

northwestern and u of chicago remains the city's biggest rivals in terms of medical schools and residency training. both have research money. i think the u of c residents are happier. it's a smaller program and has been on the wards system since its incipience. northwestern switched to wards only fairly recently, so i am trying to get a feel how the residents have been affected (hopefully positively). also, the northwestern pt population tends to be affluent and/or insured patients. u of chicago seems to have bigger diversity. for me, that's important in my clinical training because you need varied pathology exposure and not a "country club" homogeneity. i'd like to get more info, too, so please post if you hear other things.

-S.

I don't know too much about the U Chicago program specifically, but the hosptial and med school are in great locations. They are attached to the undergrad campus and the surrounding area looks really student friendly/safe.

I agree that having the undergrads and hospital sharing the same campus is idyllic and the Gothic architecture is to die for, yet I don't want to burst your bubble, ckent:
Once you stray from the immediate Hyde Park area (I'd say between 54th and 60th streets and Cottage Grove Rd on the west), you are in South Side ghetto. However, a friend of mine was carjacked on campus, so even Hyde Park itself is not impermeable to crime.

The only Chicago medical campus that would be truly safe would be Northwestern since it's right off Michigan Avenue. The UIC/Rush/Cook County area is not the best, either, but if you're used to living in an urban area, you know how to avoid certain places. Loyola is in Maywood, which is not that safe, either. Most people who go to Loyola live in nearby suburbs that are safer (Westchester, Oak Park, Brookfield).

-S.