UCI and UMich

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Martha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for any info that can be provided, I am new to this forum and appreciate the help. My question is that I have two upcoming interviews at UMichigan and UCIrvine, and I didn't take Biochemistry as an undergraduate. I am currently studying abroad in France and will only be visiting the U.S. for interviews, before I return here. I initially applied to these schools thinking that I might be able to take Biochem if I am indeed accepted, prior to matriculation. However, I am now realizing this will prove to be very difficult logistically, and I wanted to see if anyone had ever heard of this Biochem requirement being waived at either of these schools? If not, I'm wondering if I should even attend the interviews at all, or is this something I might be able to discuss once (if) accepted? I really don't think that I will be able to take the class prior to matriculation.
Thanks for any advice, I'm really at a loss as to what to do and I appreciate any help!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

According to UMich's website, if you feel that courses you have taken cover topics equivalent to what they require in an intro biochem course, then you can present evidence of that at your interview.

Not sure about UCIrvine, but it sounds like you might want to go ahead and go for UMich, assuming that you think you can convince the adcom that you've had enough biochem in your background. :)

Hi, Thanks for the help, has anyone ever had any luck in the past with this requirement actually being waived at UMich? Irvine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you post your stats?

Thanks

someone from last year got into UCI without biochem. UCI thread

i'm taking biochem from uc berkeley extension as a distance learning course. if you have time, i think you can take it from anywhere, but you will need to double check. unfortunately it is only a 3 unit class.