UCI, UCDavis, UCLA Harbor, UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Curious Tom

Your impression of these programs will be greatly appreciated as I am considering applying to these.

Their pros and cons, even if biased will be valuable to me.

If you prefer to keep your opinion private, PM me.

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Your impression of these programs will be greatly appreciated as I am considering applying to these.

UC Davis - failing neuro dept, terrible locale, but good cognition research

UC Irvine - didn't match this year, didn't interview there

UCLA-Harbor - small program but county system sucks (though slightly less than LAC-USC), really no ucla perks

UCSD - good location, new chair is research oriented, some really anal faculty, must cover three diff. hospitals (quite a drive) while on call, seems like the program banks on the weather and doesn't feel a need to change based on resident feedback.

Is it really necessary to quote the original post if you are the subsequent poster and not really addressing any complicated points? No, I didn't think so. Let's all be a little more judicious in our use of quoting and not do it just for the hell of it. It makes for a nightmare reading on smartphones.

UCSD has a great neuroscience research community - Salk and Scripps.

Members don't see this ad :)

Seems like your interested in Cali, don't forget the other programs in the same tier as the ones you mentioned:

Loma Linda University -- i though the folks were really friendly, good no. of IMGs, really bad location in SoCal, and didn't fill for some years (one of the few Cali programs), i liked the connections with PM&R (which I highly recommend LLU for).

Kaiser Los Angeles Medical Center -- great small program, amazing fellowships through Cali (and big names elsewhere), categorical, expanding stroke with new trials/research, USC/UCLA connections, and resident friendly.

Is it really necessary to quote the original post if you are the subsequent poster and not really addressing any complicated points? No, I didn't think so. Let's all be a little more judicious in our use of quoting and not do it just for the hell of it. It makes for a nightmare reading on smartphones.

UCSD has a great neuroscience research community - Salk and Scripps.

None of the residents I know took advantage of the neuroscience research facilities in the region -- frankly in the UCSD program, you don't have the time. I really think UCSD is probably better for fellowships... although they lost some strong stroke people to LA.

Let's all be a little more judicious in our use of quoting and not do it just for the hell of it. It makes for a nightmare reading on smartphones.

Will pay attention to this, but many (most) mobile browsers actually thread the comments, so you don't have to read the reply to text over and over... thanks.

thank you for your vigilance in this matter.

Curious Tom - I apologize for the slight segue your thread has taken.

MedsRus - the default behavior should be Post Reply (bottom left), NOT Quote. The purpose of quoting is to address some very specific things in a lengthy post or addressing multiple parts. Defaulting to quoting just 1) Adds to the bandwidth being used and 2) Makes it visually more difficult to read. All I ask is that you be more cognizant of and wary of the method (not content) of your reply. This goes for all (not just you) who are habitual quoters.

I prefer a menage a trois. :D

(Hint: that's a statement which does not need to be quoted)

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input. Please continue.

I am not bound to CA. If you have any other programs to recommend except the East coast, please tell me some pros and cons about them.

Kaiser LA and Loma Linda sound very good.
I thought LA Harbor would provide good bread&butter training.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. You two are hilarious. You're like the odd couple.

Hahahaha!! Soooo true...hey MedsRus, PhakeDoc told me you suck via PM. Hey Phakedoc, MedsRus said you're stupid. Ok.......go! lol

Whoever said it (don't want to quote anyone for fear of reprisal) is right about Kaiser. I think that's a good program that alot of people don't know about. The fellowships they're affiliated with are amazing (Stanford, UCLA, etc)...and the residents have a great lifestyle. (unfortunately some of the residents are kind of strange lol). I seriously think, based on what I know now, that I'd rank UCSF #1, UCSD #2, and Kaiser #3 for residencies in California.
I did interview at UCSD and LOVED it. It was my #1....(I didn't get it and I'm still singing their praises). I thought the campus/facilities were amazing, I liked the neuroscience funding they get (#1 in the country), and the residents were a sharp, cool bunch. Great, friendly faculty, wonderful reputation, and in La Jolla. The only reason I say UCSF is '#1' in California is because it has the best reputation by far...

The immediate decision I must make is where to do an away rotation.
For monetary reason, I must limit myself to only one away, if at all. It would be most practical to do it at a place that I would be highly interested in ranking as #1 or 2.

Kaiser and Loma Linda sound good so far. Any recommended programs in Midwest, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
CCF, Case, UPMC, Miami-Jackson & Cincinnati.
You will see the difference between them & Cali programs (academically).

CCF, Case, UPMC, Miami-Jackson & Cincinnati.
You will see the difference between them & Cali programs (academically).

Uggh...I'm not going to a residency in California, so I have no vested interest in defending them. But I sincerely doubt you've gone to medschool in, done any rotations in, or are even affiliated with California schools in any way, shape, or form. This is the typical viewpoint from the biased east-coast/Midwest physician. I made a point on my interviews to ask the programs away from the west coast if they thought there was a difference in quality of education, geographically. Not one program thought there really was (and no, I don't think they just said that out of politeness).
Do you really think Miami-Jackson, Cincinnati (and are you seriously referring to Cleveland Clinic Florida - a program I interviewed at and didn't even rank?) have better academics than say, UCSF or UCSD? I'd love to hear why if you do..
BTW - I'm doing my intern year in Ohio, and did a rotation in Cincinnati, so don't presume that I'm completely naive either.

CCF = Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

Sorry, don't have time to go in to details, but I think UCSF has the top education/didactics program in the country. The day I interviewed there, there were THREE (3!!!) live patients during their 3-hour conference block. And, each was fantastic - one alone would have been great. Similarly, Stanford's didactics have a dedicated 3-hour block as well, and I found their faculty to be some of the most down-to-earth/enjoyable people to talk to. In terms of faculty and education/didactic experience, I think UCSF and Stanford ranked higher in my opinion on those parameters (and overall) than UPMC, CCF, and Case - places at which I also interviewed.

UCSD - good location, new chair is research oriented, some really anal faculty, must cover three diff. hospitals (quite a drive) while on call, seems like the program banks on the weather and doesn't feel a need to change based on resident feedback.

I agree with some of these statements, but you only have to cover call at two hospitals (Thornton and VA) when on that service, you never cover 3. And Thornton is 1 mile from the VA.

I seriously think, based on what I know now, that I'd rank UCSF #1, UCSD #2, and Kaiser #3 for residencies in California.

I would rank it UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, UCSD, USC, UCD, Kaiser, Harbor, LLU, UCI (roughly, of course depends on whether you're going the academic vs. private practice route)

I did interview at UCSD and LOVED it. It was my #1....(I didn't get it and I'm still singing their praises). I thought the campus/facilities were amazing, I liked the neuroscience funding they get (#1 in the country), and the residents were a sharp, cool bunch. Great, friendly faculty, wonderful reputation, and in La Jolla. The only reason I say UCSF is '#1' in California is because it has the best reputation by far...

Neuroscience funding is actually 3rd in California, behind UCLA and UCSF.

I would rank it UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, UCSD, USC, UCD, Kaiser, Harbor, LLU, UCI (roughly, of course depends on whether you're going the academic vs. private practice route)

The USC program is really a shame. Solid (senior) faculty, but terrible residency, residency administration, facility, support staff, etc. bblue has more to add on this issue.

UCD is down the gutter -- consistently goes unfilled because neuro applicants are smart. Good for cognitive I heard.

Therefore, I would really knocked those two to the bottom of your list.

The USC program is really a shame. Solid (senior) faculty, but terrible residency, residency administration, facility, support staff, etc. bblue has more to add on this issue.

UCD is down the gutter -- consistently goes unfilled because neuro applicants are smart. Good for cognitive I heard.

Therefore, I would really knocked those two to the bottom of your list.

Yes, medsRus is correct, USC is pretty bad...the faculty there ARE really strong, but the 'new' hospital is the worst I've been in (I've never seen worse nurses in my life), and well, I'm just going to stop there...
From what I've heard (from several people), UCLA works their residents to death, which is why I put it lower despite it's reputation. And Kaiser is up there because of the fellowships their residents go onto (UCSF, Stanford, etc..). And well, I just forgot about Stanford..

Medsrus, why would you make disparaging comments about California schools when you said that all of your top choices were in California? I completely disagree with these unfounded comments.

USC: To say that a residency program is weak because the nurses are bad or the facilities are bad is ridiculous. The quality of the faculty and infrastructure for learning dictate the strength of the residency. In fact, the faculty are extremely strong, which bodes well for any residency program (unless you plan on learning how to practice neurology from nurses). Not to mention they just built a new $1.2 billion hospital. On top of that they work in association with LA County, which offers a unique and enriching learning experience. I loved my interview there and felt that the hospital was beautiful.

UC Davis: While this program did go on probation, they have addressed almost all of their issues. After interviewing there, I was shocked to hear that they were on probation because the program seemed so great. They just got a new PD, who is very hands on and energetic. While the recent probation did drop them 2 spots on my rank list, I was convinced that they would bounce back pretty strongly. The fact that they had no unmatched spots this year speaks to that. Plus all of the residents that are currently there are awesome! It was easy to feel at home during the lunch with the residents, which is key if you're going to spend day and night with them for 3-4 years.

To be honest, I think California has a lot of great programs. Obviously UCSF & UCLA are great. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out...they're good at almost everything. But, I wouldn't be quick to judge all of the other programs. I interviewed at almost every program in California and liked certain aspects about all of them. Obviously if you like the patient population at Kaiser, you're probably not going to like county experience at USC or UCLA Harbor. But you have to make those decisions for yourself.

Just to touch on other programs:

UCI: I discussed the pros and cons of this program in the Unmatched Programs forum.

UCSD: Great faculty, beautiful location, and lots of research funding. I didn't get the sense that they were big into didactics, but the residents I talked to seemed to like things the way they are. They implemented a night float system not to long ago and everyone seems to love it.

UCLA Harbor: Personal atmosphere, county hospital, and extremely close to the beach. The small number of faculty at Harbor allows for close knit relationships with the residents. I liked the quiantness of the program, but mostly I loved the location...you can live in Redondo Beach and commute to work!

Medsrus, why would you make disparaging comments about California schools when you said that all of your top choices were in California? I completely disagree with these unfounded comments.

I had select California programs on the top of my list. No need to sugarcoat inferior programs, many of my comments were corroborated by other applicants/interviewees. Although, if you are a student of the UC system, I might see how you would want to defend even failing programs in the state.

Hopefully UCI will improve.

Any thoughts on neighboring programs in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Seattle Washington, and Idaho?

I really appreciate your honest inputs here.

Hopefully UCI will improve.

Any thoughts on neighboring programs in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Seattle Washington, and Idaho?

I really appreciate your honest inputs here.

U of Utah - great, but often overlooked program.
U of AZ - seemed like a good program, really nice residents, it's definitely not a 'top tier' neurology residency, but I ranked it fairly highly because I liked the faculty and residents so much.
Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix - Uggh...the chairman of the dept., in the first five minutes of the interview day called DO schools "Fake medical schools", and I had two interviewers ask me "Soooo, you seem like a decent applicant, why did you go to a DO school?" lol...one of them also saw that I'd done work for 'Women in Medicine' and started laughing. The residents were also kind of rude in my opinion. Good reputation but I wasn't impressed.
Idaho has a really good program - it's called "There are 500 people in the state and 10 of them have neurologic disease".

U of Utah - great, but often overlooked program.
U of AZ - seemed like a good program, really nice residents, it's definitely not a 'top tier' neurology residency, but I ranked it fairly highly because I liked the faculty and residents so much.
Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix - Uggh...the chairman of the dept., in the first five minutes of the interview day called DO schools "Fake medical schools", and I had two interviewers ask me "Soooo, you seem like a decent applicant, why did you go to a DO school?" lol...one of them also saw that I'd done work for 'Women in Medicine' and started laughing. The residents were also kind of rude in my opinion. Good reputation but I wasn't impressed.
Idaho has a really good program - it's called "There are 500 people in the state and 10 of them have neurologic disease".

Wow, that was a tough interview bblue... Sorry you had to go through that.

Wow, that was a tough interview bblue... Sorry you had to go through that.

It built character lol. That, Beth Israel, and Cleveland Clinic Florida were the only bad interviews I went on out of approximately 20. That's an 85% clip of decent interviews, not too bad overall!