UCLA and UOP Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the lucky ones who received interviews from UCLA or UOP,

Can you please answer the following questions?

1. Interview from UOP, UCLA, or Both?
2. DAT scores and GPA?
3. AADSAS number?

Your cooperation is highly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Balance

Members don't see this ad.

1. UOP
2. DAT - 21 Aa 22 Ts 21 Pat GPA - 2.9_
3. 31__

1. Both UOP and UCLA
2. 23/20 AA/PAT, GPA 4.07 (out of 4.00 with +/-)
3. <100

Members don't see this ad :)
Jess_SB said:
1. Both UOP and UCLA
3. <100

Jess--
Where is your top choice? Awesome scores!

1. UOP
2. 20/21 AA/PAT 3.6GPA
3. 28--

Jess_SB said:
1. Both UOP and UCLA
3. <100

they count A+ as 4.3? Wow! Thats some insane GPA

Jess_SB said:
1. Both UOP and UCLA
3. <100

Whoa, you have nice scores. Good job Jess SB :thumbup:

1. UCLA ... didn't apply to uOp
2. 22/23/18 | 4.0
3. <500

Thanks for participation on this survey and good luck to all of you.

KobeInnocent said:
they count A+ as 4.3?
Which school is it? My Davis counts 4.0. That's not fair! :mad: :)

I am using my GPA as calculated by ADSSAS, which counts A+'s as 4.3. My university does not give me the extra points either, and in that case I have a 3.98. I don't know which the dental schools will look at, but I personally don't really mind either way! Hope that clears it up.

Jess_SB said:
I am using my GPA as calculated by ADSSAS, which counts A+'s as 4.3. My university does not give me the extra points either, and in that case I have a 3.98. I don't know which the dental schools will look at, but I personally don't really mind either way! Hope that clears it up.
I thought I was the only one that can't spell AADSAS :D Thanks for the post. So that should give me some more juice. Of course, I don't see a reason why you should ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone without a 4.0 GPA that got an interview invite from UCLA?

balance said:
For the lucky ones who received interviews from UCLA or UOP,

Can you please answer the following questions?

1. Interview from UOP, UCLA, or Both?
2. DAT scores and GPA?
3. AADSAS number?

Your cooperation is highly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Balance

1. UCLA (I didn't apply to UOP)
2. 22/23/19, 3.7 Total GPA, 3.6 Science GPA (Yes, you imperfect applicants without 4.0 GPAs, I give you hope!)
3. <800

Literati81,

Congrat! When did you get the interview?

I got the e-mail today.

Oh yeah, I hate to capitalize on interviews, but if any of you are planning to go to your UCLA interview and need a cheaper place to stay, PM me. :O) The Big Blue bus-stop is about 5 meters away from my apt. Or you can hitch a ride with me to work (at UCLA).

hey literati81, can you tell UCLA that i'm a good guy? please, just tell them that i'm a hard worker and to let me in . thanks! :)

Just out of curiosity -- why does everyone want to go to UCLA so bad? Is it because it's in UCLA and cheap? Or is there another reason?

Has anyone been told by Pacific that they have been revied and no decision has been made? I checked the website today and it said that they had finished reviewing my application and decided nothing, but would review my application again in December. Is this just a nice way of saying that I should be counting on getting the rejection later or that I still have a legitamate shot for a second round interview. I am going to call the school but wanted to know what everyone thought.

which website did you check??? Infosource?

Veneto said:
Has anyone been told by Pacific that they have been revied and no decision has been made? I checked the website today and it said that they had finished reviewing my application and decided nothing, but would review my application again in December. Is this just a nice way of saying that I should be counting on getting the rejection later or that I still have a legitamate shot for a second round interview. I am going to call the school but wanted to know what everyone thought.
I think your stats are little bit low for UoP.

They prob want to compare you with other students coming. My GPA is higher than yours, my AA is one point lower. After I talked to the lady there, I felt like I would have no chance there. But I've seen at least one person here get an invitation from them with 20/20 and gpa 3.2 (?). I'm going to visit the campus next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get a better picture.

Good luck to you.

I found this on the UOP application status website:

"Reviewed, no decision: Your file has been initially reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected for an interview at this time. Your file is scheduled to be re-reviewed as indicated in the above comment section."

Anyway, I wish you and all of us waiting lots of luck! :luck:

Paps said:
which website did you check??? Infosource?

I checked Pacific's website at www.dental.uop.edu and then went to the applicants, then dds program, then appliocation status. They have you enter your last name, AADSAS ID number( it's 20050 then your application number) and then your e-mail address, and then it will tell you what your status is.

luder98 said:
I think your stats are little bit low for UoP.

They prob want to compare you with other students coming. My GPA is higher than yours, my AA is one point lower. After I talked to the lady there, I felt like I would have no chance there. But I've seen at least one person here get an invitation from them with 20/20 and gpa 3.2 (?). I'm going to visit the campus next week. Hopefully I'll be able to get a better picture.

Good luck to you.

Keep in mind Pacific looks at your DAT first then GPA. I even was told they look at DAT then letters, then service, then GPA. They think the DAT since it's standarized reflects what you have learned in school, and it levels the playing field with people having more difficult majors or harder undergraduate schools etc. That is of course hearsay but if you check their 2003 stats they have only a 3.2-3.1 avg GPA which is kinda low, but a 20/20 DAT average which is one of the highest. Anyway when I talked to an admissions person they sounded really positive, but now I guess I am not so sure. I did have al ow QR of 15, but they said they would look at my grades in math and physics to make sure I could add, subtract multiply and divide, cause from that score it sure doesnt look like I can.

Good luck to you as well.

Veneto said:
Keep in mind Pacific looks at your DAT first then GPA. I even was told they look at DAT then letters, then service, then GPA. They think the DAT since it's standarized reflects what you have learned in school, and it levels the playing field with people having more difficult majors or harder undergraduate schools etc. That is of course hearsay but if you check their 2003 stats they have only a 3.2-3.1 avg GPA which is kinda low, but a 20/20 DAT average which is one of the highest. Anyway when I talked to an admissions person they sounded really positive, but now I guess I am not so sure. I did have al ow QR of 15, but they said they would look at my grades in math and physics to make sure I could add, subtract multiply and divide, cause from that score it sure doesnt look like I can.

Their reason about the DAT prior the GPA sounds right. Maybe the 15 then since they state on their site that 16 is the min. Thanks for the infor.

Veneto said:

I think UOP has a great selection process. I think other schools should use a similar process. It rewards those who actually retained the knowledge they learned during their undergrad and those who really have a passion for dentistry. It also separates easier schools and majors from more difficult ones, as stated above. Kudos to UOP. I do not like how some schools reject you right away if you don't have a minimum 3.2 or what not. I think there are many other factors that should be considered first, as UOP does. I sound like a UOP commercial. :laugh: Anyhow, good luck for all of you. Hope you guys all get interviews to UOP and UCLA.

xxdakinexx said:
I think UOP has a great selection process. I think other schools should use a similar process. It rewards those who actually retained the knowledge they learned during their undergrad and those who really have a passion for dentistry. It also separates easier schools and majors from more difficult ones, as stated above. Kudos to UOP. I do not like how some schools reject you right away if you don't have a minimum 3.2 or what not. I think there are many other factors that should be considered first, as UOP does. I sound like a UOP commercial. :laugh: Anyhow, good luck for all of you. Hope you guys all get interviews to UOP and UCLA.

I agree that there are factors other than GPA that should be considered before accepting someone, but if you ask me the DAT really isnt that indicative of what a person has learned during undergrad. I think that If you study for a few months, you will do well. GPA on the other hand reflects how hard a person has worked for the last 3 or more years. It may not reflect your passion for dentistry but it does reflect your passion for education in general and that is important too. Of course I may feel this way because UOP is the only school I haven't heard back from as of yet!

excite4 said:
I agree that there are factors other than GPA that should be considered before accepting someone, but if you ask me the DAT really isnt that indicative of what a person has learned during undergrad. I think that If you study for a few months, you will do well. GPA on the other hand reflects how hard a person has worked for the last 3 or more years. It may not reflect your passion for dentistry but it does reflect your passion for education in general and that is important too. Of course I may feel this way because UOP is the only school I haven't heard back from as of yet!

UOP is a really GREAT SCHOOL...If you dont get in....they will tell you what u need in order to get in!!!! :) :) :) :)

can everybody who replied to the survery say whether or not they are cal residents. very curious.....

also wondering: during the initial screening for granting interviews, will ucla push aside(temporarily) an early, but non-cal applicant for a later, but cal applicant with equal credentials. what do you guys say??

I'm not sure what the biggest thing UOP looks at. I know they put a lot of emphasis on the DAT, but I got a 24 A and 25 S. They received everything from me at the end of August and I just received a note saying that my application will be reviewed again in Decemeber. My sGPA is a 3.7. The only sopt where I did badly is the PAT and I got a 19. So I think they look at a whole lot more than just the regular stats. Good job to all those who got interviews.

can everybody who replied to the survery say whether or not they are cal residents. very curious.....

I am a California resident, and all five people at my UCLA interview were also California residents.

I agree that UOP looks at the whole picture. I do have high stats, but it was my essay that my interviewer said was so impressive. Personally I loved UOP, and since the UC tuition has increased some much, the price gap is becoming smaller and smaller. It will hopefully be a difficult choice.

I'm eagerly awaiting Dec 1st. Good Luck to everyone else!

Jess

Someone said that some Dr from UoP came to his/her school and mentioned that they would look at other stuff (LOR, PS...) prior DAT/GPA.

My guess is they prob set a barrier for DAT/GPA (prob lower than what we predict here) and then look at other stuff and DAT/GPA to determine whom to invite.

In any way, I agree with and like their way of filtering. They are well known as a practical school.

I hate the rolling method that some other schools use. But I do see why they do it.

Halitosis said:

also wondering: during the initial screening for granting interviews, will ucla push aside(temporarily) an early, but non-cal applicant for a later, but cal applicant with equal credentials. what do you guys say??
I was told that is not a factor at private schools. Anyway, as you can tell, I'm a Cali resident too. Good Luck!

i'm a cali resident too! California is great! UOP IS GREAT! I wish they would just accept me.

justletmein said:
hey literati81, can you tell UCLA that i'm a good guy? please, just tell them that i'm a hard worker and to let me in . thanks! :)

SoCal here.

Justlemein: Patience my friend. Your time will come. UCLA contacted me >2 months after my application was complete (as of late August).

excite4 said:

I guess you are sort of correct. I still think the DATs do reflect to a certain extent what you learned in your undergrad. I do not think you can learn all of that Bio in a few months. I would say 10 of the Bio questions on the DAT I remembered from classes I took, not the Kaplan book or Top Score I used to study from. The DATs are also a way of standardizing the difficulty of the major you had and the school you went to. I think people with high GPAs and REALLY low DAT scores demonstrate this. With that being said I think you are right, that GPA does show your dedication for education and takes 3 or more years to attain. I guess each school has a different way of choosing their students. Some schools accept 3.5's with 17's on the DATs, and some schools 3.0's with 21 on the DATs. Some schools read the PS very carefully and letters of recs and some schools won't touch them if you don't have a minimum GPA. I am not sure what works better as the quality of the dentists the schools produce are pretty subjective. Board scores are one thing, but how good of a dentist the students are is another. Good luck to you excite4 and the rest of you. Dec. 1 is around the corner :eek:

CALI resident. I don't think it matters for UOP though. I think it matters a lot for UCLA and UCSF on the other hand.

Halitosis said:

I am a CA resident and when I interviewed at UCLA the four other people with me were also CA residents. We were among the very first group of people interviewed at UCLA this year so to answer your question, I think they may interview a CA resident before a non-CAL applicant even if the two people have the same credentials. I could be wrong though!

Cal/non-Cal ratio at UC's should be high. I think this is the case for state schools in general.

Not a CA resident, and btw, still nothing from them.
Application complete in June of this year.

excite, I don't think so... cuz i'm a non cali res but got invited to the first batch. I'm guessin` they're checking everyone.

anyone know what the deal is with UCLA? I sent my secondary in to them over a month and a half ago and haven't heard anything back... Do they take a very long time in general, or am I just outta luck in terms of that school? Also, anyone know what UCLA looks for most in the app? Thanks

inside sources (shhh) tell me it takes them a while to do it.. just sit tight

Does anyone know if UCLA only interviews 4 people at a time and once a week? Maybe that's why they are so behind.

balance said:
Does anyone know if UCLA only interviews 4 people at a time and once a week? Maybe that's why they are so behind.

I'm not sure their frequency of interviews a week, but it's about 2-3 selected days per selected week. Each interview slot probably has about 5 people. Then again, this is just my speculation based on what I've seen.

Thanks Red823