UCLA class of 2006 anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone!
Just wanted to see who else is going to ucla this fall.
I just got back from LA and i'm definitely excited about moving down there in September :cool: Has everyone found a place already? It took forever but I finally found a studio in westwood that's tiny and overpriced but I suppose that's common down there. So if anyone needs some advice on places to check out around school let me know:)

Members don't see this ad.

hey!

I'm going to ucla as well. :) I'm moving to la on the 14th, and I am also living in a really overpriced small studio - it's on tiverton. figured i'd bite the bullet this yr and let myself sleep in until 7:45 and then run up to the school. ;)

ricegirl

Hey ricegirl,
You're lucky! I found a place south of wilshire so my walk will be more like 20 minutes compared to your 5 minutes.
You're moving on the 14th? Are you just going to hang out until orientation on the 11th? My apt actually doesn't open up until sept. 6th so I won't be moving down there until then so not much time to get used to southern cali :cool:
Oh, have you gotten any info on financial aid yet? I haven't received anything for over a month so hopefully i haven't missed any mailings.

take care!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey,

yeah i'll be hanging out, decorating my new place, getting settled in with a very limited budget for about a month.

you can go online (go to www.ucla.edu then click on for students then ursa) and use your id and password to find out your financial aid status and info. Funny thing is that I haven't received anything by mail yet, but you can see what you will be getting.

;)

hey rice, jay

I'll be seein you both at ucla. I'll be living south of wilshire as well, on ashton ave right behind the bank of america and la fitness. are you anywhere around there jay, or are you farther south? I'll be in a 2bd/2bth, rooming with another 1st year dent(we will be paying pretty hefty rents as well, but hey its westwood). I'll be movin in probably a couple of days before orientation. well, enjoy the rest of your summer, and I'll see you at orientation

Al, i'll actually be living a few blocks away from you at 1400 Midvale. It seems like a nice neighborhood so i'm looking forward to it.

BTW, have any of you guys started collecting teeth yet?? I better get going on that...

Hey guys-

I just wanted to know that if anyone going to ucla if out of state? I asm from illinois and would love to go there! Anyone from out fo state have some stats for this years entering class? Or willing to share what you had? EXcited to hear back

Hey jmac

I'm not an outof stater, but here's what I know. The average gpa for ucla seems to be around 3.5something with 22/20 dat. Every year I'd say ucla takes "around" ~3-6 outof staters. at my interview alone, I recall around 5 out of staters, so I'm sure they interview a good number total. overall, although odds "seem" against you, I say go for it. the school's great and in my opinion is worth the application fees/time etc.

to boost your file, make sure you on top of it with gpa, dat, community service, research, dental experience (extra currics are often underrated by applicants). I've noticed that ucla as well as many others likes well rounded people.

I know for certain there will be several people in my incoming class joining us from other states, so there's always a chance. good luck!

(if anyone out there has more accurate stats, feel free to correct me, I'm relying on my relatively poor memory)

oh yeah, to jayjay

I think I got all the teeth I need (all from one oral surgeon). we need around 100-150, right?

hi, jayjay, ricegirl & al

just came back from my vacation, and have not use computer for about two months.

i am very glad to add my name on this thread. having six friends go to sf together and living in bayarea, sf or la is a painful decision for me.

can not believe the school will start in about two weeks, and i look forwards seeing you guys in la

ps: jmac81

here is the stat from AADS admission requirements us & Canadian dental school 2000-2001 average gpa: 3.54 sci: 3.53
DAT 21 pat 20
the latest info for class 2003 average gpa: 3.77 DAT 21 PAT 20
hope see u in la

snow man, what you made decide la over sf, location? where will you be living, close to campus, university apts, etc?

wow, class of 2003 average gpa 3.77, that's one smart group of people!

see you at orientation

hey guys!
I havn't found a place yet actually..but I'm looking right now. I also just got my parking info, I'm in lot 8 which is FAR from the dent building >.<..I got the FAN letter in the mail, if you havn't got it yet, you should call and ask Financial aid. Well if anyone knows any good places (2bd/2bath) close to campus, let me know!
and I'll be seeing all of you at orientation! :)

Anne

hi, al

the reason that i chose la is totally personal. i saw more happy healthy dental students in this school. it is more student friendly. i already lived in bayarea for seven yrs, and i need a change. plus, there are some reasons that i world rather not to put it here :) , and i will let you know at orientation...

for housing parts, you guys are very lucky to stay so close to school, i wish i can do that. i just found my apt at university village which is five miles away from school.

yes, for the tooth parts. we need to collect as many as possible in case our classmates need it. i send about ten bottles to different offices, and donot know how many i got so far... happy collecting teeth:clap: :clap: :clap:

ps: Anne, here are some websites u might checkout:
pbmmgmt.com
westsiderentals.com
dailybruin.ucla.edu
cho.ucla.edu
hope this help, see u in la

hey anne

you know what, don't sketch too much about lot 8, its actually relatively close (it may seem far on a school map, but it really isn't--I went to ucla for undergrad). A lot of the meds/dents park there. cool, you got a permit, now my roomate (1st yr dent too) and I have a ride home everyday! :)

as for housing, snowman gave some good sites that I used in my apt search (in addition to old fashioned scouting on foot, jotting down apt phone #'s, etc). Be prepared to fork over a grip load of money if you want to live near campus.

I would suggest since you have a parking permit and will drive to class daily, to look at apts farther from campus (palms, santa monica, etc) since rent is incredibly cheaper than adjacent apts. Snowman will be enjoying some awesome low rates at the university apts (which like he said is 5 mi away, yet 10 min drive). -good luck and I'll see all of you at orientation

hey snowman, thanks for the leads! I will look into them..I'm not moving down until right before orientation, so I still have a couple weeks to look.

hi al, i guess you're right about lot 8, one of my friends got stuck with lot 32! which is a loong walk. I know it would be more economical to live farther out, but knowing me and how lazy I am, I think I need to be as close to campus as possible! Since I'm splitting the apt. with 3 other girls, the cost shouldn't be too high :)

Some questions..do you guys know which lab top we are supposed to purchase? and if so, where is the best place to get a good price? See you guys soon :)

i must be really out of it..i meant laptop ^^

Hey Al,
woah, you got all your teeth from one oral surgeon? That's crazy. I don't think we need the teeth until next semester so i think i'll start collecting once I move don to LA. Hopefully it won't be too late.

Anne,
I think the laptop is included in the equipment fee and we'll get it during orientation. Anyone else know for sure?

As for apartments, check out Ashton Towers (10930 Ashton Ave. 310 477-3736) and Midvale Court (1400 Midvale Ave. 310 473-6666). They had some really nice 2bed/2baths for about 2k/month. Thing is, I'm not sure if they like to rent apts to more than 2 people for a 2 bdrm.

good luck apartment hunting:)