UCLA, Columbia, Emory Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clockitnow

Do it! Do it! Do it now!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a secondary from UCLA, Columbia or Emory? They are the only places that I haven't gotten notified by and I am getting a little worried, especially about UCLA.

Members don't see this ad.

Does UCLA screen their secondary? I know they do for MD applicants, but I am not sure for MSTP applicants.

I received and submitted Columbia a while ago. Haven't heard from either of the other two yet, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
clockitnow said:
Has anyone gotten a secondary from UCLA, Columbia or Emory? They are the only places that I haven't gotten notified by and I am getting a little worried, especially about UCLA.

I received a letter from UCLA in the mail on Aug 12th. They said that they "will be conducting the preliminary review of all our applicants through the month of December." They also told me to do the MSTP supplemental app online. This sounds like they don't do an initial screen. I wonder if this means that it doesn't matter when you turn in your secondary as long as it's before December. Does anyone know??

Be patient everyone. When I applied, I received most of my secondaries during September and some during October. It's only August now. I assure you, they will come...however, I remember how anxious I was about this when I was in your shoes many years ago :(

It's interesting, many of your friends and classmates who are applying to straight MD programs are probably getting interviews now. And you haven't even gotten any MD/PhD secondaries. Funny story here, I remember one of my very good friends in college getting accepted to Michigan's MD program via telephone during the last week of August (he interviewed a week earlier). And I hadn't even received any secondaries yet! And yes I hand-delivered my AMCAS application in Washington DC on June 1st. I mention this only to give you a sense of perspective :)

Let me reassure you that the MD/PhD vs. MD timetable are very different. The former is much slower than the latter. And plus, almost all MD programs follow the rolling admissions rule. Some MD/PhD programs don't follow that rule. So now is not the time to fret.

I understand what you are saying, BUT a grand total of 3 schools had released their secondaries to me without notifying me: UCLA, Columbia, and UCI. That was just a little annoying.

Everyone check your status, especially at the schools I just mentioned. :rolleyes:

Dr. Chiquita said:
Does UCLA screen their secondary? I know they do for MD applicants, but I am not sure for MSTP applicants.

Hey person who I don't know!: Where else are you applying MD/PhD?

I got the Emory secondary yesterday.

Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this message but I am just wondering if anyone has received the invitation to fill out NYU secondary for the medical school? I got an email regarding filling out the MSTP application but have not heard from the medical school yet. Any thought is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Stanley said:
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this message but I am just wondering if anyone has received the invitation to fill out NYU secondary for the medical school? I got an email regarding filling out the MSTP application but have not heard from the medical school yet. Any thought is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I received the NYU invitation for the med app on aug 11th through the email.

tedrik said:
I received the NYU invitation for the med app on aug 11th through the email.

Thank you Tedrik. I went back and look more carefully at my inbox and spam and found the email notice sent on 7/26. I had better be more careful. Thank you and good luck.

No problem Stanley, sometimes the spam filter can be quite the overachiever. Mine caught Harvard and Emory, just in case this pertains to you.

Good luck to you too!

clockitnow said:
I understand what you are saying, BUT a grand total of 3 schools had released their secondaries to me without notifying me: UCLA, Columbia, and UCI. That was just a little annoying.

Everyone check your status, especially at the schools I just mentioned. :rolleyes:
Gosh, I just checked my UCLA status and realized that my status advanced on 8/11. They really ought to notify via e-mail. Ah well, to answer the OP's question, as of today, I've received invites to complete the applications from all three of the schools you mentioned. Best of luck.

clockitnow said:

if you are still interested, I received secondary from Columbia couple days ago, today is Aug 27. Hope this helps