-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UCLA Decisions
Started by FutureDr2011
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So do members of the committee know who is in and who is not? Since they vote in closed ballot fashion, that would be interesting to know...
Of course, some administrator probably has access to it.
Of course, some administrator probably has access to it.
So do members of the committee know who is in and who is not? Since they vote in closed ballot fashion, that would be interesting to know...
Of course, some administrator probably has access to it.
I was told by Dr. Fulco that they do NOT know who is in and who is not...
He said that the CHAIRS of each subcommittee know the total points awarded each applicant... He said they also know how each member voted... But the individual members don't know how each voted and they don't know the total points...
The number just goes into a computer system and ranks applicants, and whenever they're ready, they let people in above a certain cutoff... Of course, going into it, they don't know what will be the "magic" cutoff that will admit one person and reject the next...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm wondering that post-interview, do in-state candidates start out w/ more 'points' than OOS ones, since im OOS? or do they have separate lists of instate/OOS interviewees?
In my interview, Dr. Fulco didn't mention anything about that... I'm a California resident though, so he may not have thought it was relevant.
He did make it sound like there was only ONE ranked list of applicants, though...
I have several friends from my undergrad years at UCLA who were highly qualified out of state students... they all got waitlisted and eventually rejected... However, I know of a few in state residents who were accepted...
Not sure if the difference is purely due to the residency status, though...
UCLA is definitely still handing out interviews. When I was applying, I sent my application in September, got a secondary in January, had my interview in April. They are just notoriously slow.
Dr. Fulco is hilarious. He teaches the fatty acid metabolism portion of the biochemistry course.
Dr. Fulco is hilarious. He teaches the fatty acid metabolism portion of the biochemistry course.
UCLA is definitely still handing out interviews. When I was applying, I sent my application in September, got a secondary in January, had my interview in April. They are just notoriously slow.
Dr. Fulco is hilarious. He teaches the fatty acid metabolism portion of the biochemistry course.
i still have a chance! 😍
i'm wondering that post-interview, do in-state candidates start out w/ more 'points' than OOS ones, since im OOS? or do they have separate lists of instate/OOS interviewees?
Nope, in-state and OOS are on equal footing post-interview.
I was told by Dr. Fulco that they do NOT know who is in and who is not...
Correct.
So, I'm kind of confused. Post-interview, are we all on the same page, or do the still consider the whole application? That is, is the interview the deciding factor? Because I only had one, and it was only 30 minutes long. 

So, I'm kind of confused. Post-interview, are we all on the same page, or do the still consider the whole application? That is, is the interview the deciding factor? Because I only had one, and it was only 30 minutes long.![]()
no they take into account more than just the interview...
So, I'm kind of confused. Post-interview, are we all on the same page, or do the still consider the whole application? That is, is the interview the deciding factor? Because I only had one, and it was only 30 minutes long.![]()
Everything is considered post-interview. The interview is only one part of the decision. Your whole file is discussed extensively during committee meetings. 👍
Everything is considered post-interview. The interview is only one part of the decision. Your whole file is discussed extensively during committee meetings. 👍
Given they already know they are a highly desirable school, what are your opinions of sending a LOI (pre-interview stage) at this point in the cycle? Maybe bring some out-of-this-world holiday cookies by the admissions office with my AMCAS ID# on each one in candy decorations? 🙂 haha
Everything is considered post-interview. The interview is only one part of the decision. Your whole file is discussed extensively during committee meetings. 👍
How much does the interview count then as part of the total equation?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 980
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 3K