UCLA/Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ralphy

Ralphy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received a secondary for the UCLA/Drew program? I am not talking about the UCLA/Geffen - Main UCLA program. This is a smaller program where about 20 students do 2 years at UCLA Med School and the next 2 at Drew.

Please let me know. I received UCLA/Geffen on the 1st of August.

Members don't see this ad.

Ralphy said:
Has anyone received a secondary for the UCLA/Drew program? I am not talking about the UCLA/Geffen - Main UCLA program. This is a smaller program where about 20 students do 2 years at UCLA Med School and the next 2 at Drew.

Please let me know. I received UCLA/Geffen on the 1st of August.

SOMEONE?? Anyone??

Ralphy said:
SOMEONE?? Anyone??
I haven't heard boo from them and my primary cleared in mid-June.

Members don't see this ad :)
notdeadyet said:
I haven't heard boo from them and my primary cleared in mid-June.

Thanks for the response. Mine cleared the 7th of June and still nothing. I thought they judge by UCLA secondary but it is conceivable that not all who apply UCLA/Drew apply to Geffen/UCLA.
Also I found out from a friend of mine who applied last year that he received his in december and he also applied early.
Oh well

I called them in august and they send they will only start sending out secondaries on the 1st of sept. So congrats. Hopefully I will get an email soon.

The funny thing we have very similar stats 29R/ 3.45 overall/3.25

I called them in august and they send they will only start sending out secondaries on the 1st of sept. So congrats. Hopefully I will get an email soon.

The funny thing we have very similar stats 29R/ 3.45 overall/3.25

I got an email from them yesterday stating I was on hold awaiting August MCAT scores.

i sent in a primary mooonths ago..couple of weeks ago finally got some indication that they were still considering me

Here's what they sent on Aug28th:

Dear Applicant,

The Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program, Office of Admissions, has received your application. We are in the process of reviewing all files, and will be in contact with you as soon as possible. Thank for your interest in the Drew/UCLA Medical Educaton Program.

Office of Admissions
Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program

Here's what they sent on Nov28th:

Dear Applicant,

The Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program, Office of Admissions, has received your application. We are in the process of reviewing ALL files, and will be in contact with you as soon as possible. Thank for your interest in the Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program.

Office of Admissions
Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program

I think they're just trying to **** with me.

just got mine today. it's one of the most extensive applications yet.
Yeah, I got mine in mid-November. It's extensive, but I really get the feeling they are looking for students really interested in their mission. It was refreshing, compared to some of the secondaries...

I just got a secondary last week from UCLA/Drew, and I need to send in LORs, but I am wondering about the "personal" LOR that they request - Who is appropriate for this?

I am deciding between a supervisor at one of my volunteer experiences (an MD who has known me for many years) versus a relative (also an MD). I know it is generally not appropriate to have an LOR from a relative, but that's as personal as you can get. Not having access to read the letter from the supervisor, I have no idea what angle the letter was written from - personal or work-related.

Any advice?

I am deciding between a supervisor at one of my volunteer experiences (an MD who has known me for many years) versus a relative (also an MD).
Not a relative. Never a relative. Ever.

Either chance the letter from your volunteer experience, or ask someone new.

Has anyone heard of people getting into both Drew and the UCLA SOM? I hear of people getting into either or, but not both. I am sweating this bc the admission committees are linked in away when they are supposed to be separate. UCLA is my top choice and don't know if accepting a interview at Drew would put me at a disadvantage with UCLA. UCLA could pretty much give me up to Drew if Drew wants me , bc at the end of the day I am still going to school at UCLA. But then there's the fear that I would piss off UCLA by turning down the Drew interview. I don't know what to do. Its a fishy situation.
I am just hoping if UCLA wants me they'll take me and not trade applicants like baseball cards with the Drew adcomm.