UCLA English requirements - AP Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

greentiger1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I need some help understanding the English requirements for UCLA. According to the UCLA website, it says that 8 quarter hours of English composition are required. I received a 4 on the AP English exam and took a writing intensive class (Ancient Near East 10W), so I'm wondering if that is satisfactory. Can anyone offer some insight on this or how I can get clarification? Thanks so much for your help.
 
I was exempt from the English gen-ed requirement in undergrad because of my ACT score - but my advisor told me dental schools still wanted to see a year of English, so I took two upper elective classes. Similar to ACT, I'm not sure if AP scores would suffice. I would check with your pre-health advisor if you have one, or maybe just reach out to UCLA to confirm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for dental school you need 1 year of english. So take 2 other English courses, they do not need to be W2. For example you can take anything in the English department...
 
Hi everyone,

I need some help understanding the English requirements for UCLA. According to the UCLA website, it says that 8 quarter hours of English composition are required. I received a 4 on the AP English exam and took a writing intensive class (Ancient Near East 10W), so I'm wondering if that is satisfactory. Can anyone offer some insight on this or how I can get clarification? Thanks so much for your help.
Hey OP, I went to UCLA for undergrad and I'm going back for dental school. I got a 5 on the AP Lit exam which counts for 8 units and I also took ANE 10W for 5 (maybe 4, can't remember). I was wondering the same thing as you. You're set.

the AP class just got you out of taking Writing 1
And it also counts for 8 units of English credit. 8 + 4/5 from a W2 class = prereq fulfilled


https://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prospect/APCreditLS.htm

a 4-5 on the AP test gives 8 units of Eng Comp 3. Noemi will ask you to mail her a copy of your unofficial DPR to make sure, but don't worry about that now. It's only after you're interviewed. She only has to ask because UCLA is dumb and doesn't specify AP stuff on transcripts (at least my grad year and earlier) so if won't show up on the official transcripts you mail. For example if you took 30 AP units in high school it'll just say AP credit - 30 units or something rather than detailing which classes and stuff.

Other schools you apply to might require a full year or X units of a writing course *not* including AP credits, so it wouldn't hurt to take another class if you have the time.
 
Last edited: