UCLA extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mismeda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a pre-med UCLA student, however I messed up my first 2 years and did not do so well in my prereqs. I will be graduating this year, and I was thinking of taking a year off to redo my prereqs through UCLA extension. There are just a couple of classes that I would really like to take over to get a higher grade. Is this a good idea? Any advice would help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if you are still around on here but I think UCLA extension's program is wonderful. It's very well rounded and certain classes can be exceptionally tough (anatomy with Olmstead... phew!). It's good stuff. I only have had 2 classes there but feel free to PM me and I can fill you in more.

I'm taking my first class this summer at extension (LS 1). From what I heard the extension courses prepare you pretty well. Anyone have Richardson for LS 1? How are her exams and papers? I'm completing my whole pre-med at extension. Anyone else starting there pre-med at extension this year? Need to form some study buddies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking my first class this summer at extension (LS 1). From what I heard the extension courses prepare you pretty well. Anyone have Richardson for LS 1? How are her exams and papers? I'm completing my whole pre-med at extension. Anyone else starting there pre-med at extension this year? Need to form some study buddies.

I am not taking anything this summer. I was enrolled in Immunology but I had to pull since I live in the OC right now and the drive was too far. I am looking at moving back to LA as one of my options for school.
Anyways, most of the classes and teachers at UCLA ext. are very good. I have not taken LS 1 but I have good things to say about most of the other profs.

I'm also doing the certificate program through UCLA Extension. I'm only taking Chem14a this summer though since I have three other classes throuch UCLA summer session that are applying toward my humanities major. I couldn't do all my pre-reqs as an undergrad since I switched majors too many times. I was a confused undergrad wasting units on random classes in my first two years. -sigh-
Anyhow, let's all keep in touch :D

Is the program at UCLA for record enhancers? Not for those who have never taken the sciences courses, right?

The Extension program allows people to take the pre-reqs.

Is there a section on their website for this? Is it an open enrollment program or is there an application process?

uclaextension.edu and then find the introductory science certificate. You just have to pay a fee for the program and the classes. There's some loans available as well.

I'm on the website right now, and it says that 9 core courses have to be completed, but that doesn't seem right to me. If I took the 9 courses with at least one course in each discipline area, I still haven't satisfied the pre-med reqs of 1 yr bio and physics 2 yrs chem and some calc...is this just a minimum requirement then?

Also, how much does each class cost? I'm debating whether I should take some classes at SMC then transfer to a 4-year state school or just enroll in this certificate program. I know they offer financial aid, but how much would it cover? I'd appreciate any kind of advice! Thanks so much.

Yeah it's just a minimum requirement, you can take what you need for medical school. Each class runs about 450-550 I believe. Depending on your status I think the loan amount for the year is 6,000. I'm taking the Physics at a community college because the Physics at UCLA is calc-based and they require an exam beforehand from what I've heard. I heard it's not recommended to take pre-reqs at a community college, but the bulk of my courses are coming from extension.

I don't understand why you would need to transfer to a four year college if you have a degree already.

Does anyone know how adcoms look at the extension courses offered by UCLA? Is it competitive enough to be on par with an undergraduate degree in hard science?

Just looking for some guidance...

Also, when I called the extension office and asked if they had alumni who had gone through the program who could provide me with a referral, they said no. Are any of you graduates who have gone on to med school?

I would like to use the science certificate to satisfy my prereqs for med school admission. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sorry, but i have another question added unto this..

I graduated from a UC this year. and im planning to take the DO route, and apply 2009 for admissions for 2010.

its because my gpa is crap, and i want to somehow improve my gpa resume.
My questions is, ... i've taken all the pre-reqs, i was a biochemistry major, so i was wondering if i want to take the DO route, can't I just RE_TAKE classes at LACC and not UCLA extension, because I think i'll have a better chance getting an A at LACC then at UCLA extension.

what are some pros/conS? about this.

Thank You