UCLA Extention Pre-Med/Dents

Started by Red Mango
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Red Mango

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
I'm a pre-health student at UCLA Extention, and through this thread, I wanted to connect with other UCLA Extention pre-med/dent students. Please pm me, so that we can share our experiences, help each other with classes, and whatever else. I think it is always best if people work together. Thanks!😛
 
I'll be attending in the summer. It would be cool to meet more pre-med's who'll be starting there journey at extension.
 
I took UCLA Extension courses for a year. I was in the UCLA Reapplicant program, if you have questions, let me know. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took UCLA Extension courses for a year. I was in the UCLA Reapplicant program, if you have questions, let me know. Thanks.
how did you pay for it??i hear there is no financial aid, unless tou are a certificate student. ucla rap seems great, but i just dont know how i would pay for it. as its non residential program, and the other uc programs allow you to enroll as a student in the undergrad program and recieve federal aid.
 
For UCLA Reapplicant program, did u take undergrad classes at UCLA or graduate/medical classes?
 
ucla extension has a certificate program for introductory science. it offers the premed classes u need to take.
 
I'm taking my pre-med courses at UCLA extension, and it's pretty cool. There is financial aid if you sign up for the certificate program, and there's no obligation to finish the certificate if you don't want to - and that info is straight from the Extension office. So if you take Extension, you should sign up for the certificate program.

The classes, by and large, are pretty good, but just like anywhere else, there are some bad ones. If you get a chance, I recommend taking at least a course or two concurrently (meaning with the undergraduates during the day) just to get a comparison between the two. I've taken my entire chemistry sequence (general and orgo, and I'm starting biochem next quarter) concurrently, and I think that's better than the extension chem sequence. The extension bio and physics courses, though, are very good (and the chem one, from what I gather, isn't bad, either; it's just not as good as the undergrad one), with only one exception I can think of.
 
u have to navigate through the extension site, can't like the page of the program
 
I was wondering if it's ok to take Physics at Santa Monica College? I don't have the required calculus to take the calculus based physics at extension so I thought it would be easier just to take the non-calc physics at SMC. I'm definitely going to take the life sciences and chemistry sequence at extension. Especially since the the entire chem sequence can be done in a year with labs done during the summer.
 
really? well I can't take it anyways since I don't have the pre-reqs taken. Plus I heard I have to take a pre-test beforehand. Correct me if any of this is wrong.
 
no clue about the pre-reqs, I'm an actual ucla student and have completely all the premed classes. i'm assuming the ext and the ucla classes parallel since they have the same course title.