UCLA Grading System?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sly Wolf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey UCLA Students,

Is the grading system Strictly Pass/ No pass or does the Pass consist of Hight Honors, Regular honors, Low Pass??? Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey UCLA Students,

Is the grading system Strictly Pass/ No pass or does the Pass consist of Hight Honors, Regular honors, Low Pass??? Thanks =)

Something like that... Most people get a "Pass." The top 10% in each course gets an "EPR", which is the equivalent of a high pass. And if you do really poorly, they probably won't fail you... they'll just give you a "Marginal Pass."

Most students think that EPRs are generally overrated and not that important, since they do not appear on your transcript and are really only useful if you want to get into a UCLA specialty program.

Something like that... Most people get a "Pass." The top 10% in each course gets an "EPR", which is the equivalent of a high pass. And if you do really poorly, they probably won't fail you... they'll just give you a "Marginal Pass."

Most students think that EPRs are generally overrated and not that important, since they do not appear on your transcript and are really only useful if you want to get into a UCLA specialty program.

People DO fail classes at UCLA...

Members don't see this ad :)

Marginal Pass?? That's horrible. I was hoping it would be strictly Pass / No Pass. So the pass has EPR, Pass, and Marginal Pass...sheesh...sounds like A B C to me...
thanks for the relpy

Marginal Pass?? That's horrible. I was hoping it would be strictly Pass / No Pass. So the pass has EPR, Pass, and Marginal Pass...sheesh...sounds like A B C to me...
thanks for the relpy

No its more like
EPR= A+
P= A
MP=C
NP=F

I like it...

No its more like
EPR= A+
P= A
MP=C
NP=F

I like it...

Where do they draw the line between P and MP. Does every class have a few students that get MP? Pass should be C and above. and EPR are for those exceptional students. Why is there a need for MP? Thanks =)

Where do they draw the line between P and MP. Does every class have a few students that get MP? Pass should be C and above. and EPR are for those exceptional students. Why is there a need for MP? Thanks =)

Each class is different, my point is that getting a pass isn't amazingly difficult. I enjoy the system and don't worry about MPs.

Thanks for replying Dee Jay, You are really helpful.
So I'm guessing you enjoy UCLA, and if you could go back and choose UCSF would you? and also,from my understanding you have to really try to get an MP? right?? I hope..